Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Thoughts on the release date for the new score?
Topic Started: 26 Apr 2014, 23:40 (2418 Views)
ShortyLego
Dragon Egg

It should be coming soon, usually a week or so before release for most films. How do you think Powell will approach the film, with new themes or combining old melodies?
Brianna
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I hope we get a mix of both new and old (I just don't want them to sound to much like the first one).

Hail HYDRA.

ShortyLego
Dragon Egg

I'm with you there, too. I want nostalgic music, but a vibrant new course!
Brianna

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I won't mind a callback to the first movie's soundtrack.

And Jonsi's song from the first five minutes is pretty. I'm hoping his song's are really good like Sticks and Stones was (is).

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Speaking of Jonsi, I'm very curious to see how they'll work his songs into the soundtrack release itself. In my experience of such things (Mostly Disney musicals, though there are a few other examples), songs are generally put either all before or all after the instrumental score. This was even more or less the case with the soundtrack for the original film, with the only tune after "Sticks and Stones" being a bit of music that wasn't in the film, and the instrumental that came after the song in the credits was placed in the preceding track.

However, one of the great strengths of the original soundtrack as a release in its own right is how everything is in the same order as it comes in the film (or at least close enough that someone as picky as myself can't notice the difference). This creates a more fulfilling experience, almost making it feel like you're watching the film even as you're just listening to the soundtrack.

Now, we know that at least one Jonsi song plays in a scene that is neither the first nor last scene (keeping spoilers to an absolute minimum here, since the specifics aren't important), so if they put the songs either at the beginning or the end, then it is going to hurt that flow.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm all but certain the soundtrack will at least be good, though I do doubt whether it will reach the heights of the original.

Oh, and one other idle thought: I can't help but wonder if the track titles on the soundtrack will contain spoilers. The original soundtrack did contain a track title referring to the Green/Red Death, after all. Hmm, with that in mind, I will definitely hold off on this until after I've seen the film.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eret
....Son of Eret

I just want another song like test drive and/or forbidden friendship.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

If you listen closely to Jonsi's song in the five minite clip you hear a bit of the tune to Test Drive
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

Pyr0mancer
Hatchling

What I liked about the first score was the variety of moods. Happy, love, battle .etc
I think the music really is fundamental to Httyd, it adds depth to the story.

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Couldn't the OST contain spoilers in the titles though?
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Astrid
Gronckle

AndyMay
27 Apr 2014, 21:31
Couldn't the OST contain spoilers in the titles though?
yep it can and most likely will, so if you don't want to know how things go you shouldn't read the titles.
That beeing said, i'm still a little torn about including singing songs in the ost. As the ending/credits song it works but in the middle of the film it might broke the harmony of a nice orchestral sound.
Quote:

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm all but certain the soundtrack will at least be good, though I do doubt whether it will reach the heights of the original.
^ yep, and betting it's going to be this way.....