Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Do you Think Hiccup and Astrid are Actually Engaged?
Topic Started: 28 Apr 2014, 14:13 (2759 Views)
HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

People keep forgeting that it's actually a tale and has not much to do with real Vikings. For example, Vikings never ever wore horned helmets. And yeah, they didn't have dragons. :-) If they were real Vikings they would got married in their teens because average life expectancy was like 35 years back then.
If you're interested in anything about real Vikings, check www.vikinganswerlady.com, that's a pretty neat page with many answers about everyday Viking life.
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

But Stoick is still cute as hell :-)

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

HaddocksOrTails
28 Apr 2014, 18:13
People keep forgeting that it's actually a tale and has not much to do with real Vikings. For example, Vikings never ever wore horned helmets. And yeah, they didn't have dragons. :-) If they were real Vikings they would got married in their teens because average life expectancy was like 35 years back then.
If you're interested in anything about real Vikings, check www.vikinganswerlady.com, that's a pretty neat page with many answers about everyday Viking life.
If you're referring to what I mentioned before, I absolutely know that.
DreamWorks added the helmets because it was part of the stereotypical viking look, even though they knew they never actually wore them. They've taken aspects from myth and history as well as their own creation and put it all together. Even though a lot of HTTYD isn't drawn from history, they could still take tid bits from it, such as marrying young. We'll just have to wait and see (:

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

? So far I've seen no one mention viking traditions. And the guys at DW were fully aware that they never wore horned helmets, but they added them anyway. Hiccups new helmet is one they would've actually worn.
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I wasn't talking about you guys, just in general. I saw many comments on fanficnet when people were dissing writers about "not being historically accurate" and I think it's just, you know, a bit ridiculouss.
But I think from what Ms. Ferrera says in the newest clip they are not engaged. I previously thought that they might end the new movie with a wedding (not a lengthy one, though), but if it's really the Empire Strikes Back of the trilogy, we might only see some sad faces.

Eret
....Son of Eret

Well yeah if this was supposed to be historically accurate they would've gotten engaged in the first movie when they were like fifteen lol. But thats beside the point

ArabianGoddess
Hatchling

Stoick's just confident about them going to get married in the future. But Hiccup probably *seeing as he goes rebel and begins to explore beyond Berk* thinks it's not time yet, nor does Astrid probably. As the voice actress of Astrid, they never call each other Boyfriend or Girlfriend. But you can defiantly tell their relationship is at that peak...

If they get married, it'll probably be in the third (Last) movie of the trilogy; it would make more sense to me. ;) ;)
"She's my princess and whatever she wants, she gets."
"Ruffnut? Didn't she bury you alive?"
"Ah. Only for a few hours."
كيف تروض تنينك

Norskie
Member Avatar
Norskie

Is it wrong to hope for just some whacked-up proposal from Hiccup? Like they're in mid-battle and he just asks Astrid out of nowhere? So, I sincerely hope they aren't engaged prior to the film (which I think is highly unlikely).

Uff da, yo.

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

I did not read the replies to this thread (I'm a little lazy at the moment) but I think if there ever is some kind of wedding it would be in a short. Or it might even be squeezed into the series, if they make one that takes place after HTTYD 2.

DragonDreamer
Dragon Scribe

I think Stoick's just really hopeful. After all the official description says he wanted to son to stop being foolish and raise a family. Right?
What dragon dreams are made of.