Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
nightfury speed
Topic Started: 04 May 2014, 13:20 (7524 Views)
AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Zer0x
04 May 2014, 17:13
I don't think that he would be able to fly if he would weight 200kg. Dragons have like birds and some dinasaurs very light bones with large air-filled cavities.

And the speed of the F-22 is not the free fall speed. When Toothless fly on a horizontal line he could reach around 200 km/h (which is nearly twice as high as the speed of a falcon).
In straight and level a Falcon can hit up to 60mph (approx.) and 200mph in a dive. So that's extremely fast (and pretty amazing) if Toothless can do more than that in straight and level alone.
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

thescienceofmagic
03 May 2014, 19:13
hella fast (:
This is the most accurate, correct, and scientific answer.

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

Zer0x
04 May 2014, 16:29
Here is a approxiamte calculation about Toothless' maximum speed in a free fall:

v=sqrt((2xmxg)/(pxAxC))

m - mass (I used 130kg for it, if his is higher he will be faster)
g - acceleration (9.81 m/s^2)
p - density of the medium (air at level 0: 1.2041 kg/m^3)
A - area of the falling axis (according from the size of a 3D model it is around 0.8 m^2)
C - drag coefficient (without his wings he have a nearly ideal streamline shape (0.02), I used 0.06, that's a bit lower than an airplane)

v=sqrt((2x130x9.81)/(1.2041x0.8x0.06))

v=210.07 m/s = 756,26 km/h = 470 mph

Maby no sonic speed, but still very very fast.
In a high of 1000m he is around 10% faster.
Toothless is going to weigh much more than 130kg. Stormfly was just confirmed to weigh 2,628 lbs, or 1,192 kg. Toothless is slightly smaller than Stormfly in terms of wingspan and length. It would be reasonable to assume that he weighs at least 800 kg, or 1,700 pounds. That's about the weight of an economy car, and Toothless is about the size of one.

Granted, these are estimations based off of Stormfly's weight, but I think Toothless would be much closer to 1000kg than 100-200kg.
"Thank you for summing that up."

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

The biggest Pterosaur ever lived was the Quetzalcoatlus. His wing area was around as big as Toothless' and with its weight of 200kg he was a very sluggish flier.

Maybe it was confirmed from the creator that he his much heavier, but that would implify that he would not be able to fly in our world.

The question is, what do you want to believe in? Science or magic? ;)
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

Zer0x
04 May 2014, 18:20
The biggest Pterosaur ever lived was the Quetzalcoatlus. His wing area was around as big as Toothless' and with its weight of 200kg he was a very sluggish flier.

Maybe it was confirmed from the creator that he his much heavier, but that would implify that he would not be able to fly in our world.

The question is, what do you want to believe in? Science or magic? ;)
magic is science that cant be explained ;)

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

The movie team seems to struggle a bit with weights. I remember when they first launched the Viking Guide on the new website, they had Hiccup and Astrid (maybe other characters too, but they were the most extreme cases) listed at weights that would make them full-blown anorexics paired with their listed heights. That's since been removed, but since that already happened once I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the dragons weights that are implausible either.

That being said, dragons don't/didn't exist in the real world anyway. It won't affect my enjoyment of the movie very much if they defy physics.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Yeah, the weights are completly ridicolous. The Bewilderbeast weights only 8 tons with a lenght of 520 feet. :D
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

Zer0x
05 May 2014, 21:48
Yeah, the weights are completly ridicolous. The Bewilderbeast weights only 8 tons with a lenght of 520 feet. :D
I'd expect it to weight a BIT more :P

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Zer0x
05 May 2014, 21:48
Only 8 tons? Wow, really?! That's just weird. I mean how can it weigh only 8 tons? It's huge!

I understand it may have hollow bones or something, much like a bird, but even then surely it would weigh more!
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Toothless
03 May 2014, 18:30
in a view to a skrill pt 2 toothless was shown to still be a little bit quicker than the skrill and that was with hiccup riding him. now in a hypothetical situation how fast would toothless be able to fly alone because i would guess a lot faster since he is used to flying with a person on him.
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure... that he could fly faster than I can run...