Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Let's talk about VALKA
Topic Started: 19 Nov 2014, 01:16 (3280 Views)
Rainheart94
Dragon Egg

Couldn't find any threads on this one, so I think I'll start one here. :valka:

So, what do you guys think about Valka, her characterization, and the way she was portrayed in the film? After watching the memory space eating digital copy of the movie on my iTouch yesterday, something got me thinking:

Valka was missing for 20 years - because she was on an island rescuing and protecting dragons from Drago and any other possible threats. Now, that's awesome and all, but at the end of the day, she still abandoned her family, since she did have an opportunity to return. But if she did return, no doubt she would be shunned and outcasted by her brand new glued-to-her-brain beliefs and discoveries like Hiccup was…

I'm still kinda torn between this, but what did you think of her?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I like her but I don't like her. She was so adamant about the inability of people's change (pessimist just like me) that she would be fine abandoning her son and fellow village because she believes they can't change and I just can't get on board with that.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

I would like to summarize Valka's introduction and the scenes that followed.

Hiccup: Hey new Dragon Rider, are you friendly?
new dragon rider attacks
Hiccup: Well crap.
Now in cave
New dragon rider: Hi I'm your mom.
Hiccup: What!?
Valka: Follow me! I want to show you something.
Hiccup:What!? You can't just tell someone that then run off.
Hiccup (see's alpha): Wow that's awesome.
Valka: I didn't come back cause I didn't think people could change.
(during flashback)Valka: When I was still on Berk I tried to get them to see reason, but no one listened. You're not to different from me really.
Hiccup:Well they've all changed their minds now.
Valka: I don't believe that, what happened to your dragon? Was it the villages doing?
Hiccup: No it was mine, but he got me back now were best friends.
Valka: Hey want to have some fun with dragons.
Hiccup:Sure
After having fun with dragons
Gobber: Stoicks here!
Hiccup:Dads here?
Stoick: I'm here. And you're coming with me.
Hiccup: Dad there's something you need to know now.
Stoick: Later
Gobber: You can handle this one Stocik.
Stoick: Handle what?
(sees Valka is stunned)Stoick: I still love you.
Happy reunion moment
Drago: I'm here
Valka: Dragos here crap
Stoick: crap
Big battle
Valka beaten by Drago
Stoick intervenes saves Valka
Hiccup gets in trouble with Drago as well Stoick saves him, but dies in process. Valka consoles Hiccup then gives him a small speech and that's kind of it for her character really.

I really do dislike quickly summarizing the first time Valka and Stoick meet though. Because I do believe that is a good moment, and a believable moment at that. More so than the whole dancing scene that comes afterward. To the actual topic though the above summarization or more so the fact you can do so is one of my bigger problems with Valka. She's introduced out of nowhere tells Hiccup shes his mother, and Hiccup kind of tries to call her out on it. Then were immediately moving on to having fun with dragons.(which don't get me wrong I absolutely enjoyed, but I mean really though) Afterwards kind of an apology from her, but at the same time blames the village for never wanting to change as her reasoning for not coming back. Essentially it's not really an apology it's half sorry half blaming someone else for her faults(and shes never called out on it either). Hiccup defends the village she scoffs at him, and he moves on as does the conversation. There's just no acknowledgment of her faults from any other character, and that tends to bother me. Also quite a lot of her scenes felt unnecessary (Personally I feel this is a problem the first movie had as well somewhat.) like you could skip them and still get the jist of what was going on afterwards. Granted it's a movie and time is important, but I feel like a little bit more time should have been given to Valka or something else. Although to give some credit to DW I honestly thought Valka was going to come off worse than what she did.

Otherwise It's a character that I feel could have been done better, and that you can see where they tried but it just wasn't enough or they just didn't have the time. Personally at first(when we first heard about her before the movie released) I thought she could be an interesting character I still think she might be able to be an interesting character. I even liked some of the scenes she had in the movie I thought a few were believable to some extent, and just worked well like the one I mentioned above. Overall it's a character that at best I'm half and half on. But that's where I think this character has been in the fandom since when we first found out about her.
Valka has always been a point of discussion within the fandom, and that discussion has always been again at best divided.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

I don't know, but what i feel is that she kinda got herself out of a proper apology by just showing Hiccup her dragons. And then she starts saying sorry, but then immediately says she could teach Hiccup all she knows about dragons, and shows him Toothless's secret.She convincingly changes the subject to her advantage, atleast with Hiccup, and simply "dragons" her way out of a proper apology.

I don't question Stoick's actions at all. But, that said, there should be someone atleast who confronts Valka regarding this.

Maybe, MAYBE in the third movie, Astrid does this. I would really love to see that.

HideousZippleback

[/color]

DarthBacon
20 Nov 2014, 06:53
I don't know, but what i feel is that she kinda got herself out of a proper apology by just showing Hiccup her dragons. And then she starts saying sorry, but then immediately says she could teach Hiccup all she knows about dragons, and shows him Toothless's secret.She convincingly changes the subject to her advantage, atleast with Hiccup, and simply "dragons" her way out of a proper apology.

I don't question Stoick's actions at all. But, that said, there should be someone atleast who confronts Valka regarding this.

Maybe, MAYBE in the third movie, Astrid does this. I would really love to see that.
Somebody in movie verse needs to call her out on her s***. Because I am not satisfied with how her arc was played.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

DarthBacon

That was one of my thoughts at first also. It does make sense and feels like a feasible possibility/thing that could happen, but I think Hiccup is smarter than that though. So I would like to give him more credit when it comes to calling out someone on their crap. Which I most certainly think he would do no matter who that person is even if it's his mom or dad.
DarthBacon
This is one of the reasons why I'm still half and half on this character(Valka getting called out by someone anyone really). I would absolutely enjoy it if they did something more with her in the next movie. (or even the show if they decide to go that far) Believe me when I say I would love for this character to get/become better. Cause I still feel that it's a character that's interesting and has some possible potential. I have no hopes they will actually do this, but until that time rolls around I'm just going to wait and see.

See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

TheUselessReptile
Dragon Egg

As someone who doesn't have kids - I probably have less issues with the 'abandoning the child' scenario then others.

I personally don't like Valka's character . Shes this timid, half-crazed Tarzan-girl whose been living with dragons for 20 years and not having much interaction with people. She just has to remember how to be human again I think. Doesn't say 'Viking' to me.

On the other hand - it doesnt bother me enough to worry. Dreamworks had to come up with some how to reintroduce his mother back in the scene since
Spoiler: click to toggle

The Useless Reptile Collection
https://www.facebook.com/uselessreptile

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

Apparently, Valka is the name of a village in Latvia.
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

HideousZippleback

[/color]

I would have preferred her villain self instead of what we have of her now.

DerangedTheDagur
Pirate Lord of the Berk archipelago

ChinesischSchluckauf
20 Nov 2014, 13:57
Apparently, Valka is the name of a village in Latvia.
There's actually a "Valka Road" near my neighborhood here in Texas, lol
"I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." ~Captain Jack Sparrow