Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
nightfury speed
Topic Started: 03 May 2014, 14:30 (7522 Views)
Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

in a view to a skrill pt 2 toothless was shown to still be a little bit quicker than the skrill and that was with hiccup riding him. now in a hypothetical situation how fast would toothless be able to fly alone because i would guess a lot faster since he is used to flying with a person on him.

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

I don't know if anybody knows for sure, but I believe that Toothless' top speed is estimated to be somewhere between 200 and 300 miles per hour. Probably closer to 200. It's definitely possible seeing that birds of prey can reach 200+ miles per hour in a dive.
"Thank you for summing that up."

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

hella fast (:

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

The Toothless wiki states:
Speed

The Art of How To Train Your Dragon book notes that he can fly over one hundred miles per hour. He keeps up with Hiccup easily in a free fall, and humans reach terminal velocity at around one hundred and fifty miles per hour.
In the series though, his speed sometimes gets mixed up. This wiki mentions this:
Trivia

In the intro of the TV series, Toothless and Hiccup are shown to have a sonic shock cone, implying they broke the Sound Barrier. This contradicts the accepted three-hundred to four hundred miles per hour top speed for a Night-Fury, as the Sound Barrier at room temperature is seven-hundred and sixty-one miles per hour.
On land though, Toothless seems to be again extremely fast. He can keep up (and is possibly faster than) the Speed Stringers who have have a speed rating of 13.
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.

Toothless

I was thinking it would be the baseball effect. When a person is next to bat normally they put a ten pound donut on there bat so when they take it off they bat faster. Maybe toothless has become much faster by having hiccup and the saddle on him

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

As far as the show intro goes: they do show Toothless with an effect of breaking the sound barrier, but I think it's just an effect to make it look cooler. The speed at which he is flying in the intro is nowhere near the actual sound barrier.
"Thank you for summing that up."

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

A while ago I have calculated that his speed in a free fall could theoretically pass the speed of sound in normal air pressure (of course without Hiccup).

I will see if I could find the data and formula for it.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Extremely fast...
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Toothless

my guess is 500mph not basing it on anything just a random estimate

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

I think the animators just animate Toothless at any speed they want so the animate "works".

Oh, i'm blabbing again, hard to explain.

Fast, i suppose? :)

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!