Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Older astrid (spoilers)
Topic Started: 08 May 2014, 15:52 (3840 Views)
Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

I don't like her as much. She seems to have lost some of her voilent side which was why I liked her so much. What do you guys think?
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

He begins to grow and so begins to realize that violence does not solve anything

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Night fury fire
08 May 2014, 19:52
I don't like her as much. She seems to have lost some of her voilent side which was why I liked her so much. What do you guys think?
I'll judge the characters after the movie, thank you.

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

It's only an opinion ok :-/
but you are right

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

HTYYD PT RIC
08 May 2014, 20:11
It's only an opinion ok :-/
I know I know, I wasn't trying to be mean :O , I was just saying I'm going to wait for the movie :D

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

I understand you I also want to see the movie B-)

I am Smaug
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Night fury fire
08 May 2014, 19:52
I wouldnt nesscessarily say astrid was violent in the first film. She was mostly competive with a no nonsense attitude. She basicially was a polar opposite of hiccup in that she was a real viking. She was also very serious and didnt consider what they doing a game, but an actual war. but now in httyd 2 things are far more peaceful and alot of the characters have mellowed out. Just look at stoick

We havent seen any of the seriocous stuff in httyd 2 at leats invloving atsrid, so we may only see her get arrgssive when the situation calls for it

Norskie
Member Avatar
Norskie

Honestly, I'm liking Astrid so far. I really liked her in the first film and to see her at this age, it sort of reminds me of the same transitions we make as adolescents. She's a more believable character if we can see at least some maturity from the characters. (I don't think she's lost her kick-butt Viking attitude completely, it'll probably emerge when the situation calls for it).

Uff da, yo.

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

astrid in the first film felt very good until the hiccup know some weaknesses of dragons and gained fame, astrid to know that I get iveja but then you know ...

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment based on what we've seen so far.

First off, I don't think she was ever primarily motivated by violence so much as a sense of honor and a desire to be the best at everything. Sure she was really eager to kill dragons when we first saw her, but that was what the Hooligans did at the time. The dragon slayers were among the most esteemed citizens of Berk, and given her natural athleticism, she wasn't going to let anyone be a better dragon killer than herself, especially the village screw-up who prior to the start of training had caused far more problems than he ever solved. I never got the idea that she had a bloodlust to satisfy. They expanded the idea further in the TV series by revealing that one of her biggest motivations was to regain her family honor after her uncle was unfairly labelled a coward long ago, which I thought was a really nice touch.

Now that things have moved forward five years, I don't see that she's fundamentally changed very much, her situation is just different. Killing dragons is no longer the order of the day, so she's moved on to being the best dragon rider possible as evidenced by her apparent dominance of the dragon races. It is possible that being in a more mature relationship with Hiccup will bring out her soft, caring side a bit more in certain instances, but she's always been capable of such emotions. I find that to be a believable maturation. Finally, judging by the Eret clip and the various photos of her brandishing an axe, it still looks like she's more than capable of getting her hands dirty if need be. I have some concerns about some things in the sequel, but Astrid's characterization isn't really one of them.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.