Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Gobber!
Topic Started: 17 May 2014, 04:00 (9451 Views)
Fynriel
Gronckle

Zer0x
17 May 2014, 07:37
I've red the other thread completly and I still can't understand the importance of this news. Does that change anything? My opinion is the same like for all he other (sexual based) relationships in HTTYD: It's simly unnecessary.
From what I understand it's not a relationship, it's simply a little hint at his sexuality. It doesn't add anything to the story (or take away for that matter).

As for the gay thing in general, I think it's awesome. I'd be totally ready for a gay protagonist in a big film like this, not as a major plotpoint or theme of the movie itself, but just as a small part of it. But I guess Hollywood isn't quite there yet.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

It's great news. I have and will always love humorous gobber. Httyd is making history in all sorts of ways and this is a great one
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

xMythicalTailx
Dragon Egg

I love Gobber. He's such a wonderful character. xD So crazy and funny. I can't wait to see this movie. :D
"Shut up music, I don't want to hear you right now. I want to eat this chip. Mmm..." Ken
"Always sailing, sailing, sailing...never quite reaching." Cressida Cowell
"Stop screaming we've all got problems!" Markiplier

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

Zer0x
I've red the other thread completly and I still can't understand the importance of this news. Does that change anything? My opinion is the same like for all he other (sexual based) relationships in HTTYD: It's simly unnecessary.
Pretty much my thoughts too on this.

I fully support LGBT, but it doesn't make any difference to any of the storylines whether Gobber is or not, so why has this suddenly come to light? It's the same sort of situation as to when Dumbledore was announced as gay; it wasn't needed.

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Zer0x
I agree. I know including gay characters is the trendy, politically correct thing to do now but come on already. There is absolutely no purpose to reveal something like this now. It' just like the whole Dumbledoor thing.

There's my 2 cents worth.

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

Zer0x
Nicely said, and it leaves everyone happy. I agree as well, +1!
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Zer0x
I've read the other thread completly and I still can't understand the importance of this news. Does that change anything? My opinion is the same like for all the other (sexual based) relationships in HTTYD: It's simply unnecessary.
I agree! And now people are going all bat-s*** over it. *eye roll*

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

HideousZippleback
17 May 2014, 16:47
Zer0x
I've read the other thread completly and I still can't understand the importance of this news. Does that change anything? My opinion is the same like for all the other (sexual based) relationships in HTTYD: It's simply unnecessary.
I agree! And now people are going all bat-s*** over it. *eye roll*
^^ This
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Fynriel
Gronckle

Sure, I think we can all agree that it's not a big deal in the context of this movie and some people have blown this way out of proportion. ButI do think it is somewhat a big deal for Hollywood. Not many films have the guts to even do something as insignificant as this, at least not without playing it for laughs.

I also quite welcome it. I don't get why you're all so immediately dismissive of it. It's just a tiny little line of dialogue, but it brings some diversity to the cast of characters and in turn adds depth to the world and to the character of Gobber. His sexuality is a facet of his character after all even if it plays no role in the story that is being told.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Berserk Shieldmaiden
17 May 2014, 16:24
I agree. I know including gay characters is the trendy, politically correct thing to do now but come on already. There is absolutely no purpose to reveal something like this now. It' just like the whole Dumbledoor thing.

There's my 2 cents worth.
This sums up my thoughts as well. It's not going to add anything to the plot, but homosexuality is a hot-button issue currently. By adding that one line (and then promoting in several national publications that Gobber is gay), they're going to focus a fair amount of controversy on something completely irrelevant to the movie as a whole.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.