Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Anyone have doubts here?
Topic Started: 30 May 2014, 11:35 (6036 Views)
mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

For some reasons, I just can't shake off the feeling that HTTYD2 will not be able to touch me like HTTYD did. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I think that the movie is going to be bad. I'm still exciting for it. Hey, I would even say that it would probably break box office records for this year by reaching USD 100 million at opening week.

It's not that I don't like the sequel either, it's just that I got a feeing that I couldn't relate to anyone in the movie because I'm not that old yet. I might say that otherwise when I finally watch the movie on July 3, but for right now, I'm just a little worried.
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Toothless123
Night Fury

Don't worry! I'm sure it'll still be great! ;) ^_^ :D :)

ArabianGoddess
Hatchling

I'm sure it'll be great. ['= The critics seem to like it a lot, and no one knows the characters like the cast and crew. I've had doubts, too. But even if it is't as emotional as I want it to be I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. ;)
"She's my princess and whatever she wants, she gets."
"Ruffnut? Didn't she bury you alive?"
"Ah. Only for a few hours."
كيف تروض تنينك

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[/b]

Toothless123
30 May 2014, 15:38
Don't worry! I'm sure it'll still be great! ;) ^_^ :D :)
I know it's going to be great, based on the review that critics have given. It's just that I might not be as touched as I did with HTTYD.(Did that sentence sound right to you? it sounded a little bit weird.)
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

N4raDov
Dovahkiin

I'm actually the same age as the gang in this one, so I'm guessing I'll relate to them more than I ever did, especially Hiccup. So I don't have that cause of worry, but I do get what you're saying. After so much anticipation, you can't help but wonder if it can ever live up to our expectations. And in some ways, it probably wont. But, like you said, its going to be a great movie, and even if you feel like relating to the characters won't be as easy in this one, they might still inspire you. Heck, 15-yr-old Hiccup still inspires me, and I'm 20 :) Just saying, I hope the movie is able to touch you on a level you're not expecting. It can be bothersome when you have those doubts about something you like so much.
C4P741N 5W4N

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[/b]

N4raDov
30 May 2014, 15:50
I'm actually the same age as the gang in this one, so I'm guessing I'll relate to them more than I ever did, especially Hiccup. So I don't have that cause of worry, but I do get what you're saying. After so much anticipation, you can't help but wonder if it can ever live up to our expectations. And in some ways, it probably wont. But, like you said, its going to be a great movie, and even if you feel like relating to the characters won't be as easy in this one, they might still inspire you. Heck, 15-yr-old Hiccup still inspires me, and I'm 20 :) Just saying, I hope the movie is able to touch you on a level you're not expecting. It can be bothersome when you have those doubts about something you like so much.
I know I shouldn't be worried, but I just feel so conflicted on this one. I think I relate to Hiccup in the first movie so much because I am around Hiccup's age (14-15) at that time. In HTTYD, I feel like I was watching an alternate version of me befriending and riding a dragon(And being way more awesome). In HTTYD2, however, I don't know if I could relate to him anymore because I don't understand the struggles of being free and to have responsibilities at the same time (At least, that's what I got from all the information that has released). It feels a little too distant for me. So I'm not sure that I could be inspired from this movie. In fact, I'm dealing with something that is almost completely different, with the exception of being free. Instead of responsibilities, I am trying to get out from the corner and face the world. That's different from what I can tell.

N4raDov
Dovahkiin

mr.k.c.w.
30 May 2014, 16:10
N4raDov
I know I shouldn't be worried, but I just feel so conflicted on this one. I think I relate to Hiccup in the first movie so much because I am around Hiccup's age (14-15) at that time. In HTTYD, I feel like I was watching an alternate version of me befriending and riding a dragon(And being way more awesome). In HTTYD2, however, I don't know if I could relate to him anymore because I don't understand the struggles of being free and to have responsibilities at the same time (At least, that's what I got from all the information that has released). It feels a little too distant for me. So I'm not sure that I could be inspired from this movie. In fact, I'm dealing with something that is almost completely different, with the exception of being free. Instead of responsibilities, I am trying to get out from the corner and face the world. That's different from what I can tell.
I understand. But until you see the movie, there's really no way of knowing whether these doubts are warranted. And even if you can't relate, at least you should still be able to find it enjoyable. Sometimes I find that my favorite stories are the ones I can't relate to at all, because it's like this whole new experience I could never have otherwise. And don't feel too down about it :) You may not relate to it the first time you see it, but some day down the line, you might and feel differently
C4P741N 5W4N

Fynriel
Gronckle

mr.k.c.w.
30 May 2014, 16:10
N4raDov
I totally see what you're saying, though I think you can still very much enjoy a film without being able to fully relate to every aspect of it and/or the struggles of the main character.

It does make the experience that much more profound, of course.
I myself feel exactly like N4raDov. When Hiccup talks about not yet knowing who he is and being frustrated with Astrid already being so confident in her own identity, I can feel his frustration because I know exactly what that feels like!

But that just means that this new film will probably grow on you over time and you'll be able to find further meaning in it in the future. But even now, I am very confident that it has things to offer for everyone in the audience. Dreamworks, however mature they intended to make this film, would never create something that couldn't be enjoyed by both younger and older fans alike.

EDIT: N4raDov already said what I was trying to convey ;) I really need to type faster. xD

mycove
Terrible Terror

I totally agree with N4radov ! I'm pretty sure you've felt related to other movies before, even if the characters are older or younger and live situations different from yours. The thing is, behind the particular setting of a movie, the themes are always universal. Hiccup learns how to fit in, how to grow up, how to find his purpose in life, or how to, let's say, face the world ! Who doesn't ?
And maybe at the first viewing, you'll miss to notice some of these connections, but they'll appear clearly to you at some point of your life.

Edit Fynriel, at least you typed faster than me ! XD funny how we kinda spoke in one voice !

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[/b]

mycove
30 May 2014, 16:33
I totally agree with N4radov ! I'm pretty sure you've felt related to other movies before, even if the characters are older or younger and live situations different from yours. The thing is, behind the particular setting of a movie, the themes are always universal. Hiccup learns how to fit in, how to grow up, how to find his purpose in life, or how to, let's say, face the world ! Who doesn't ?
And maybe at the first viewing, you'll miss to notice some of these connections, but they'll appear clearly to you at some point of your life.
I'm not worried that I couldn't relate to the theme of the movie. I'm worried that I couldn't relate to Hiccup. He's just... a bit too old for me too understand what he has to go through. I'm not at that stage yet. I'm not ready, both to see the movie and to understand Hiccup's psychological state.(Why did I strech it to that far? Man, got to add that to the list of examples of me being weird.)