Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
No Respect for DreamWorks...
Topic Started: 06 Jun 2014, 22:56 (6153 Views)
MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

HideousZippleback
07 Jun 2014, 02:35
IcelandicEel
07 Jun 2014, 02:29
Send your pirated links to me. I'm collecting them and passing them on.

I'm trying to view the link there, but Instagram is down (it really is legitimately offline at the moment). I'll check it a bit later.
Apperntly Hiccdew-Forever on Tumblr postee dthe video of the ending... -_-
I had a feeling he would get involved.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

HideousZippleback
07 Jun 2014, 01:34
Hope_and_Heir
07 Jun 2014, 01:32
HideousZippleback
07 Jun 2014, 01:17
Why do people do this ^o)
1.Because they honestly think it's ok... And 2. They don't care

Some people are ridiculous.
I hate people sometimes... This is literally what ruined ROTG.
Report the links, and move on. If somebody's content with a CAMRip, they're probably not interested in the film. Conversely, some of us are more than happy to attend several screenings, because we are interested in the film (and can afford the luxury).

To claim that piracy single-handedly contributed to RoTG's lacklustre performance seems a tad simplistic. The film had some serious competition [1] during its opening week. Skyfall, Life of Pi, Wreck-It Ralph, and Breaking Dawn 2 were all released around that time, and were either four-quadrant films or tapped into pre-existing fan bases. From what I've gathered [2] and what I've seen [3], RoTG's marketing campaign was aimed squarely at kids. Couple that with the strong dependence on Western cultural icons, and you've limited your international appeal [4] to boot.

And that's without touching the story itself.

[1]: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekly/cha ... =47&p=.htm
[2]: http://www.hitfix.com/awards-campaign/w ... office-hit
[3]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxs1lYny8AY
[4]: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... rdians.htm

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Agreed on the ROTG observations. And now Dreamworks has a new distributor, one doing a much better job. Much more responsive and flexible marketing. I saw the standee with Hiccup on the back of Toothless raising the Dragoncaller and went "Hmm." Then a month later the current ones (everybody just standing there! How can that be better? But it is!) replaced that. Nice.

I quoted "piracy as a marketing metric" to support the fact that everybody should just chill about it, report links to IcelandicEel, and not start a flamey campaign about it on the Web. Here's a psychological reason why:

Last year a mammogram service had a campaign to try to get women to come in more often. It was entitled "Smart Women Get Mammograms." Women stayed away from getting mammograms in droves. Why? Because it was a negative campaign, believe it or not.

This year their new campaign slogan is "We're here when you're ready." They also have billboards equating a mammogram to going to a spa and getting a pedicure and such. Now a lot more women are coming in to get mammograms. People react to positive, inviting campaigns.

So when fans go around flaming pirates and post "DON'T PIRATE DRAGONS" it's a true and valid statement, but a negative one. It's why, instead of "SILENCE YOUR CELLPHONES NOW", we have Kermit and Miss Piggy discussing the free coupons you can get if you use the app that silences your phone during the movie, and discusses how delicious the name of the app is. It's positive.

Moviemakers therefore have a quandary. How to cope with piracy without alienating fans? And they're getting very insightful and sophisticated about it. Which is good. For example, speaking of "Rise of the Guardians," did anyone else notice that when Sandy was speaking in hieroglyphs, the moon symbol was a Dreamworks moon? Complete with kid fishing. But only in the theater version. In the Blu-Ray version (at least mine), the moon was a regular crescent moon, no kid fishing. That's called a watermark. There were several others, as well. (Welcome to the wonderful world of hyperlexic autistics who have uncanny pattern-recognition skills.) So now you can tell if your DVD has been theatrically pirated.

Someone posted the DMCA takedown quote. Note that it says "I am the copyright owner." You are not entitled to try to take someone else's pirated work down. Weird, eh? So the correct approach is, as IcelandicEel said, send it to IcelandicEel.

Speaking of pattern recognition, I want to discuss a really good reason to get worried about piracy and posting unauthorized pictures, but it will have to wait till next post, because I have to get off the Web and do Real Life stuff for a while. Darn.

Toothless123
Night Fury

HideousZippleback
06 Jun 2014, 15:52
Toothless123
06 Jun 2014, 15:50
KentuckyWildcat
06 Jun 2014, 15:49
Sadly, pirating movies seems to be the new normal. Somebody does it for virtually every movie that sees a major release, so HTTYD 2 won't be immune to that. I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't do anything to support the pirates though.
I agree... :unsure:
I'll never understand this really...
Me neither... :-/

Toothless123
Night Fury

HideousZippleback
07 Jun 2014, 00:46
HaddocksOrTails
07 Jun 2014, 00:44
IcelandicEel
06 Jun 2014, 23:42
That's actually quite brilliant. I didn't know they did that. You just need to blast the screen with IR light and it will completely prevent the camera from recording anything watchable.
Eh, wish it was compulsory, everywhere.

I used to go to advanced screenings for journalists and it happened several times that they took the phones before the screening and gave them back afterwards.

Well, I bought my tickets for Dragons in advance - a thing I haven't done in the past 15 years - and I'm planning on watching it for a second time (unless it's total crap - but we all know it won't be).
We also have a huge pile of dragon books and some other dragon merchandise, so I do everything to express my gratitude for making the movies and the series :-)
This is the first movie I ever bought pre-screening tickets for. It's worth it.
Me too. :D

Toothless123
Night Fury

HaddocksOrTails
07 Jun 2014, 01:04
HideousZippleback
07 Jun 2014, 00:46
HaddocksOrTails
07 Jun 2014, 00:44
Eh, wish it was compulsory, everywhere.

I used to go to advanced screenings for journalists and it happened several times that they took the phones before the screening and gave them back afterwards.

Well, I bought my tickets for Dragons in advance - a thing I haven't done in the past 15 years - and I'm planning on watching it for a second time (unless it's total crap - but we all know it won't be).
We also have a huge pile of dragon books and some other dragon merchandise, so I do everything to express my gratitude for making the movies and the series :-)
This is the first movie I ever bought pre-screening tickets for. It's worth it.
Yeah, me and the kiddo went crazy when we found out about the UK pre-screenings, I bought the tickets literally 2 minutes later :-)
That's basically what happened with me and my dad. :D

IcelandicEel
Administrator

MartianArchaeologist
07 Jun 2014, 16:55
Someone posted the DMCA takedown quote. Note that it says "I am the copyright owner." You are not entitled to try to take someone else's pirated work down. Weird, eh? So the correct approach is, as IcelandicEel said, send it to IcelandicEel.
Yeah, really bad idea. If you misrepresent what you own, the siteowner can sue you. I know all the clips that have been released so far and I've seen the film, so I know what was probably pirated and what wasn't. If you think it's been pirated, I can pass those links on (especially if you see them on one of my sites). But don't send them a DMCA takedown.
Did someone say... dragons?

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

Someone has uploaded it to torrent sites. What do you think? The source is from itunes hd movie, and then sees comments, they said that this upload has very good video and audio (A10 V10).

I hate piracy, but i hate my country too. Because if i want to order dvd movies, i'll get tax that 10 times the dvd price. So if it costs $20 + $15 for delivery, i'll get about $400 tax. Poor me :(

Besides, i'll buy the dvd and hope i can buy the bluray :D
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.