Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rating?
Topic Started: 20 Jun 2014, 23:39 (5896 Views)
Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

So I just got back from my second viewing (IMAX 3D) and definitely picked up on a number of things.
puxlit
21 Jun 2014, 02:54
Sabrina
21 Jun 2014, 02:08
Just watched the movie. I think the same, I am disappointed about the soundtrack.
Especially in the action scenes.

They could have put a better music in the "Toothless-Hypnotized vs Hiccup (and Stoick) scene".
So it seems like quite a few people don't like the score, yet nobody has come close to articulating why.
The scoring issues that a few of you have mentioned I actually picked up on in both my viewings. I think the score for the most part was fitting, but during the action sequences, I noticed on more than one occasion there was a tonal mismatch where the music was too lighthearted and did not properly reflect the seriousness and gravity of the situation.

The only one I'll mention is the first miscue I recall which was actually not in one of the big action scenes, but it's when Stoick and Gobber set out to find Hiccup and when Stoick recovers his mask from the ocean. I felt at that point that Stoick should be struck with trepidation about the uncertainty of his son's welfare. So what plays out in the soundtrack is the very end of what you hear in the cue "Should I know You" as Stoick and Gobber are seen flying off into the distance in a dark, gloomy and hostile blizzard. Give it a listen and you'll understand what I mean.

One other (positive) thing I have to agree on with everyone else is that a second viewing is much more enjoyable. The pacing issues seem much less pronounced with the exception of the third act from Stoick's funeral onward, but even that seemed much more enjoyable to watch the second time around. But the jarring transition in tone from the funeral to the gang riding baby dragons through the ice caverns was still pretty irritating. I felt like they could have omitted that scene entirely which seemed like a lot of unnecessary exposition and a desperate attempt to forcibly shovel everyone out of the pit of sorrow we found ourselves in in the previous scene.

As for my rating, I stick by my 9/10 which I gave it on IMDb. I do encourage everyone to watch it twice before solidifying your opinion about the film. And if you have a chance, watch it in IMAX 3D before Transformers kicks it out next Friday. 3D is SOOO much better on a dual projected setup since you get a lot more light thrown on the screen than a single RealD or Dolby 3D projector setup. It's a shame, though, that it's standard policy to lower sound levels for any animated movie (observed at both viewings at two different theater chains) because they're paranoid about scaring or inflicting hearing pain/damage to children.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Oneill5491
21 Jun 2014, 03:39
[...]The only one I'll mention is the first miscue I recall which was actually not in one of the big action scenes, but it's when Stoick and Gobber set out to find Hiccup and when Stoick recovers his mask from the ocean. I felt at that point that Stoick should be struck with trepidation about the uncertainty of his son's welfare. So what plays out in the soundtrack is the very end of what you hear in the cue "Should I know You" as Stoick and Gobber are seen flying off into the distance in a dark, gloomy and hostile blizzard. Give it a listen and you'll understand what I mean.
So I tried matching the track with my recollection of how the sequence played out:
  • [≈ 01:19] Stoick notices the impact crater;
  • [≈ 01:30] Stoick grabs the mask;
  • [≈ 01:35] Stoick exchanges a glance with Gobber;
  • [≈ 01:39] Stoick instructs Skullcrusher to find Hiccup; and
  • [≈ 01:44] shot of Stoick and Gobber riding off into the twilight.
To me, it felt appropriate. Stoick's a reserved character; he's found Hiccup's mask (and a hole in the ice), but he is riding a tracking dragon. From the discovery of the crater up to the last shot in the sequence, the score is notably moodier; it reflects his consternation. However, Butler delivers that last line to Skullcrusher with a sense of determination, not panic. He entered this sequence determined to find Hiccup, and he exits the sequence determined to find Hiccup. Likewise, the score begins and ends with a brawny/larger-than-life rendition of the same theme. That final flourish also accentuates the abscence of score from the first few shots in the following sequence.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

No way! This score is as good as the first one, and even slightly better. I think its Powell's best work till date.

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

8,5/10
I know that it is a family movie, but it has a way too happy ending, as if there was no loss at all except for Stoick. (-1p)

Berk is a viking village, that apparently sings celtic songs and dance celtic dances (-0,5p)
Could have been fixed if they sung in monotone, real baroque, which was the music vikings used to sing, but it's a family movie and celtic music is probably nicer for young people than baroque.

Otherwise it was a great movie!

storyline 9/10
graphics 10/10
animation 10/10
voiceacting 10/10
music 9,5/10 (celtic music is -0,5 for me, but it is just personal preference, Jónsi's music was great, and Powells music was epic!)