Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rating?
Topic Started: 09 Jun 2014, 11:42 (5989 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Take it easy! Yeesh, people have a right to be excited.
Hyping the movie is of no benefit to anyone, except the relevant companies. And giving mathematically impossible ratings is just wrong, plain and simple.

As a simple test, ask yourself: if someone gave the film a score of -100/10, what would be your reaction? One is just as nonsensical as the other.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Cartoon Freak
09 Jun 2014, 15:42
Quote:

Hyping the movie is of no benefit to anyone, except the relevant companies. And giving mathematically impossible ratings is just wrong, plain and simple.

As a simple test, ask yourself: if someone gave the film a score of -100/10, what would be your reaction? One is just as nonsensical as the other.
You don't need to be rude about your opinions. There's nothing wrong at all with being excited. If she is disappointed, oh well, she learned something. She did nothing to deserve your inconciderate nonsense. If, and I'm assuming you were, trying to warn her to not get overly excited, you did it wrong.

And my reaction? I wouldn't take it so seriously like you did. I'd assume the person is young and/or very excited. And I wouldn't throw them down for a harmless comment.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

It's just a comment that's utterly nonsensical and ultimately means nothing. Those should be pointed out, because people are never going to change unless they know that what they're doing is wrong.

And honestly, if a person is so young that they actually post something like that as a serious comment, then they're too young to be commenting on a forum that isn't targeted at their age group. Plain and simple. As for excitement, the beauty of message boards as a form of communication is that they give people time to actually think about their replies, so there's no excuse for posting silly, nonsensical stuff like that outside of random "humour" threads.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Cartoon Freak
09 Jun 2014, 16:04
It's just a comment that's utterly nonsensical and ultimately means nothing. Those should be pointed out, because people are never going to change unless they know that what they're doing is wrong.

And honestly, if a person is so young that they actually post something like that as a serious comment, then they're too young to be commenting on a forum that isn't targeted at their age group. Plain and simple. As for excitement, the beauty of message boards as a form of communication is that they give people time to actually think about their replies, so there's no excuse for posting silly, nonsensical stuff like that outside of random "humour" threads.
Well. I'm sorry you think that way. I'm sorry you feel bothered to scold somebody rudely who IF in fact is so young wants to try something out because they need to learn the ropes of things. Yes, it's ok to tell someone they made a mistake, but it's not at all cool to make them look like they committed a crime ("and it will not be the fault of the movie") In fact, looking at your original comment, it is entirely off-topic and unnecessary. This topic is to explain our ratings and talk about them with another civilly. I really doubt you realize your comment was rude at all. You apparently have a problem with everybody who isn't totally serious about everything. The forum was designed for everybody of any age capable of typing words that don't hurt others. So deal with it. Also, you don't have to reply to something you find so wrong and meaningless.

For now, I'm finished with all this. I'm going to continue enjoying my summer and start a trip on a positive note.

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

Cartoon Freak
09 Jun 2014, 16:04

Cartoon Freak
09 Jun 2014, 15:42
Quote:

Cartoon Freak
09 Jun 2014, 11:47
Okay, that rating's just impossible, and you know it. Of course, even perfection is impossible from anything produced by humans, but hey, rounding and all that.

And boy, if those are your honest expectations, then you will be very disappointed, and that will not be the fault of the movie.
Are you freaking kidding me, Cartoon Freak? You take things way to seriously, she's just excited. Sorry you have to be such a buzz kill all of the time. We all know the movie won't be this perfect flick that EVERYONE in the world is going to love, but WE (maybe not you) will love it just because it's DRAGONS! We KNOW the movie is going be good, better than most animated and non-animated, but we also know it probably won't get as huge as starwars. So back off and stop trying to bring the movie down! You've actually dwindled my excitement a little to see the movie because you're so serious all of the time. If you don't agree with a comment, than let it be and don't bring the movie down. This is my ONLY post on the topic, any replies from YOU will be shunned for STUPIDITY.

Sorry if I came off mean...

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
09 Jun 2014, 17:49

Well. I'm sorry you think that way. I'm sorry you feel bothered to scold somebody rudely who IF in fact is so young wants to try something out because they need to learn the ropes of things. Yes, it's ok to tell someone they made a mistake, but it's not at all cool to make them look like they committed a crime ("and it will not be the fault of the movie") In fact, looking at your original comment, it is entirely off-topic and unnecessary. This topic is to explain our ratings and talk about them with another civilly. I really doubt you realize your comment was rude at all. You apparently have a problem with everybody who isn't totally serious about everything. The forum was designed for everybody of any age capable of typing words that don't hurt others. So deal with it. Also, you don't have to reply to something you find so wrong and meaningless.

For now, I'm finished with all this. I'm going to continue enjoying my summer and start a trip on a positive note.
1. If this topic is to to discuss ratings of the film, then posting a nonsensical, impossible rating for a movie that, by the poster's own admission, they haven't even seen, is as off-topic as calling them out on it.

2. This forum is to discuss various aspects of the HTTYD franchise (well, except for off-topic sections, but I don't care about those). Actual discussion is completely different from acting like a tween at a One Direction concert with all that random squeezing.

3. The minimum age to be allowed to use this forum is 13. Therefore, I will talk to anyone on this message board as if they were at least a teenager, because they should be at least that old (and I fully believe Night Fury Fire is), not small children.
Quote:

Are you freaking kidding me, Cartoon Freak? You take things way to seriously, she's just excited. Sorry you have to be such a buzz kill all of the time. We all know the movie won't be this perfect flick that EVERYONE in the world is going to love, but WE (maybe not you) will love it just because it's DRAGONS! We KNOW the movie is going be good, better than most animated and non-animated, but we also know it probably won't get as huge as starwars. So back off and stop trying to bring the movie down! You've actually dwindled my excitement a little to see the movie because you're so serious all of the time. If you don't agree with a comment, than let it be and don't bring the movie down. This is my ONLY post on the topic, any replies from YOU will be shunned for STUPIDITY.

Sorry if I came off mean...
Being serious in discussion is a very good thing, giving HTTYD it's due as an artistic text. Indeed every text, whether great, terrible, or anything in between, should be taken seriously when discussed. One just might learn a thing or two.

At any rate, it is impossible for me to "bring the movie down", unless you're suggesting that I secretly work for Dreamworks or something. The movie is what it is, and nothing I say or do can change that. All I am trying to do is to get other people see things for what they are, or at least closer to what they are. Is that futile? Quite possibly. I see that as no reason not to try.

As for lowering your excitement, while unintentional, you're welcome nonetheless. Lowering one's expectations is a good thing, at least for things you can't control. You're a lot less likely to be disappointed now, and a lot more likely to be pleasantly surprised. Well, unless what I just said counteracts it in some way. Oh well, I don't recall saying I was any good at this.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

Psh. NONE of what you said is an excuse for your rudeness. If you don't like what you see, don't waste your time bullying people and making enemies.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

I'm not bullying people; I'm simply pointing out when people say things that are blatantly false, in the (possibly forlorn) hope that they will not make the same mistakes in the future. In that regard, I pull no punches. I value honesty above all else, since it is only with an open dialogue that we can have true understanding. If that happens to make me enemies, then it was certainly not my intention (and I think those people would be overreacting to a bit of honest criticism), but I can live with it.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Guys, before you post, calm down. David likes the movie/series as much as we do, he's just trying to improve it. He wants to make it better, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ignore his comments if you will, but I think that his intentions aren't bad. (Plus, took his 'advice' on not putting my expectations too high on HTTYD 2, and it worked.)
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

For what it's worth, I feel both sides are at fault. Yes, we should be mindful not to come off as brash or condescending when issuing rebukes. However, we should also be careful not to instinctively silence unpopular opinions. Perhaps we ought to leave enforcement of forum-wide rules to the moderators, and enforcement of topic coherence to the original poster.

Now, back on topic. Having watched this sequel several times, I'd give it 7/10. It delivers with stunning environments, brilliant lighting, vibrant yet nuanced character performances, and a wonderfully supportive score. It straddles the line between levity and gravity reasonably well. However, it painfully falls short of exceptional with some half-baked lines (be they over-expository, repetitive, or nonsensical), some rushed story beats, and some questionable character motivations. (It goes without saying that these observations are subjective; they're coloured by what I've come to expect from animated films.) I'll collect my thoughts into a more coherent review after I'm through with my exams.

For reference, the original would be a 10/10 in my book. With one minor exception, the writing felt plausible and devoid of clichés. It was well-paced, the characters' motivations were subtly but clearly telegraphed, and the story's themes weren't distracting.