Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Rating?
Topic Started: 14 Jun 2014, 00:14 (5994 Views)
Norskie
Member Avatar
Norskie

After I came out of the theater, I was like totally 10/10. But, honestly, as I think about it a little more, I'm leaning to give it a steady 9.5/10. There was one thing that I sort of...cringed at.

It was Astrid's "Hiccup can totally beat you" which was too cheerleader-ly and sort of like...'oh c'mon, really?' and that sort of...made everything spiral out of control. However, I believe Drago would've found out about the Dragon Riding phenomenon eventually because Hiccup was ambitious in pursuing him.

Yet, that was the only part that I considered a con. I really enjoyed the film, loved every, well almost, minute of it. I loved Gobber's Eulogy (they had done some bit of research there) that voiced over the visual of the ship. I was heartbroken when Stoick died (I had a flashback to Simba and Mufasa in that very scene). Hiccup's speech was powerful as he realizes that he is the next chief. As for the Alpha ordeal, I think it made perfect sense to me. Toothless had the strength to overcome the Bad Bewilderbeast's enchantment unlike the other dragons, he, just like Valka regarded her son, "was the strongest of them all" and so, that sort of fit.

I have no qualms about the ending scene. It actually surprised me, I thought we would get another Drago scene where he is vowing his revenge. This showed me that Berk is still a stronghold and is a force to be reckoned with as a set up for the third movie which I will safely assume, will include an even bigger battle that will test Berk's Dragons' abilities to retaliate.

So, with a 9.5/10 from me, I say, bring on Dragons 3!

Uff da, yo.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

I give it a 10/10. I loved it, it was just as I had hoped it would be.:)
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

MC_Oceans
13 Jun 2014, 22:14
Eret
13 Jun 2014, 22:11
Yeah, what was bad about toothless challenging the alpha? I thought it was pretty awesome. I know the glowing blue thing was a pretty random skill to develop but somehow it felt right.
That is what was wrong. He just randomly started glowing. I think a blast out of the ice without the glowing would've done fine for me.
He was glowing because he had a new-found power.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

MissunyNightFury
14 Jun 2014, 19:58
MC_Oceans
Eret
13 Jun 2014, 22:11
Yeah, what was bad about toothless challenging the alpha? I thought it was pretty awesome. I know the glowing blue thing was a pretty random skill to develop but somehow it felt right.
That is what was wrong. He just randomly started glowing. I think a blast out of the ice without the glowing would've done fine for me.
I wish we could get more info on his power...

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

HideousZippleback
14 Jun 2014, 19:59
MissunyNightFury
MC_Oceans
I kind of figured that it was something he developed as he became an adult. Since part of the plot was about Hiccup becoming a fully fledged adult (and sort of the same for Toothless at the end since Valka said he was Hiccup's age), I thought that what they were going for was that Toothless got that power as he challenged the alpha and sort of became an adult Night Fury/leader. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

BiggestToothlessFanEVER
14 Jun 2014, 04:00
I would give it 10/10.

I loved this movie just barely better than the 1st one.
We are one and the same my friend :)

HideousZippleback
MissunyNightFury
MC_Oceans
Eclipse-Wolven
14 Jun 2014, 22:59
HideousZippleback
MissunyNightFury
yesss! I want to know more about his glowing spines!!! :)

I kind of figured that it was something he developed as he became an adult. Since part of the plot was about Hiccup becoming a fully fledged adult (and sort of the same for Toothless at the end since Valka said he was Hiccup's age), I thought that what they were going for was that Toothless got that power as he challenged the alpha and sort of became an adult Night Fury/leader. I could be wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.
My mom actually wondered if it had something to do with his spines like when Valka revaled them maybe it was there, it just didn't fully come out until the black alpha crossed the line with attempting to kill Hiccup again. It made Toothless really mad and fed up so his anger towards it activated his glowing?
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

10/10 for me.
I really liked it.
There were great parts, and even a sad part.
I loved it.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

So basically about the glowing, I was thinking, since his spines were 'activated', and he kind of became a real adult dragon, when he got angered/annoyed/protective, his powers just 'came to him'. Maybe.

i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

HideousZippleback
14 Jun 2014, 00:15
8/10.

Thank you! I'm not the only one who thinks the music didn't fit in a lot of scenes.
Just watched the movie. I think the same, I am disappointed about the soundtrack.
Especially in the action scenes.

They could have put a better music in the "Toothless-Hypnotized vs Hiccup (and Stoick) scene".
"Pain... love it."

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Sabrina
21 Jun 2014, 02:08
HideousZippleback
14 Jun 2014, 00:15
8/10.

Thank you! I'm not the only one who thinks the music didn't fit in a lot of scenes.
Just watched the movie. I think the same, I am disappointed about the soundtrack.
Especially in the action scenes.

They could have put a better music in the "Toothless-Hypnotized vs Hiccup (and Stoick) scene".
So it seems like quite a few people don't like the score, yet nobody has come close to articulating why. Try focussing on one egregious passage. What don't you like? What are you expecting? Do you find the passage insufficiently rousing or inappropriately overwhelming? Are you questioning the instrumentation? Do you feel that the passage overuses certain leitmotifs? Could it be the way the score was mixed in the final film, and not necessarily a problem with the original performance?