Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
My Spoiler-Filled Review
Topic Started: 09 Jun 2014, 07:12 (1483 Views)
StaticTheSkrill
The Skrill of all Skrills...

DREAMWORKS HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2

Something is keeping this movie from a full 10 score. I don't know what it is though......
Anyway, this movie was spectacular. I am not being biased when I say it was good, because... IT WAS GOOD. This movie was not a sequel created for the sake of making a sequel, it was a movie that really had the thought put into it. The story had great depth and complexity and appealed to both audiences. Stoick's death was neccesary for Hiccup to become chief, it was a bold move to include so many deaths for an animated movie- Stoick, Valka's Bewilderbeast (it got gored omg), Drago? And many random people and dragons.....

The pacing was good and the babies not listening to anyone played a part well. I wish that more new dragons were explained though. The animation was incredible and the detail was amazing. The movie appeals to a surprisingly large audience, covering darker aspects and keeping enough elements to keep it kiddy. It was perfectly balanced.

I also just want to say that the first half of the movie felt HTTYDish, but the second half felt like Transformers epicness with dragons. Not that it is a bad thing. :P

If I had to be picky, I would say that Drago did not get enough character development and the battle was started a little abruptly. Also, the whole Bewilderbeast/Alpha mind control thing was not really explained.

Positive:
+2 points for being a worthy sequel.
+1 points for dragons.
+3 points for being a darker film.
+1 points for Stoick's death.
+1 points for a great soundtrack and animation.
+1 points for being an amazing movie overall.

Negative:
-1 points for being in need of a little more explanation on things.

Total Scoring:
9/10
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Well if thats the only negative point......

Im going off to wikepedia
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Honestly, your review's fine (yes, I'm now reviewing reviews, instead of getting around to making my own - I'm going video for mine, so expect it in another day or so). You make your points very concisely, and that's fine, though I personally prefer more depth to critiques.

Interestingly, we're actually fairly close in our thoughts, in spite of the noticeable difference in the scores we give it (7/10 for me, as I've mentioned elsewhere). I guess you're a lot more forgiving of some significant plot holes.

Random point: I don't think Drago's dead. The Bewilderbeast got away, we didn't see a body, and apparently, Drago was originally going to be introduced in the third movie (in other words, DeBlois' probably got no other villain). So yeah, I bet he'll be back. That's what you get for not finishing the job.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

Your points are actually very similar to my own review of the movie. I'm pretty forgiving of all but the most blatant plot holes (this movie didn't have any that truly bothered me, though I'm sure it DID have plot holes), but Drago was my only real problem with it. He just didn't get enough development/motivation/to do. As I said elsewhere though, I wanna see it again. I usually have to watch a movie at least 2-3 times before I have a final opinion on it.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

I need to do my rating... Correctly....

+1 +2 +1 + 1 +2 -2 +1 +3
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Eret
....Son of Eret

To me the movie was absolutely perfect right up until the end of the Dancing and Dreaming scene (which, btw, screw all of you who made me think that scene was going to be bad and unnecessary, it absolutely fit in to the movie and was very well done and touching). I was confused at first by how quickly things escalated in to the final battle. It felt like between the end of the Stoick/Valka scene and the beginning of the battle scene, there was about 15-30 minutes of footage that was missing. Consequently the whole rest of the movie felt rushed. Other than that my only other real gripe is with Drago, I have to agree with some reviews I've read that his reasoning for going crazy as well as his history with Stoick didn't really make a whole lot of sense. I was hoping there would be more of a connection between him and Valka's disappearance.

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

I believe if they used a whole two hours to make this movie it would have been almost perfection if not perfection

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

It would certainly have been better, but perfection is not achievable by humans.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

There is no perfection in this world since every person's point of view on perfection is different. But yes longer would have been better for the story totally.