Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
HTTYD 2 questions I would like to share (SPOILERS!)
Topic Started: 11 Jun 2014, 08:50 (4373 Views)
puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Cartoon Freak
11 Jun 2014, 12:22
Toothless expressed his opinion of solo flying quite concisely, if you ask me. It doesn't seem like a good idea on Hiccup's part to press the issue.
Perhaps that's why we're shown the nerfed "glide" mode.
Cartoon Freak
11 Jun 2014, 12:22
Although frankly, it's utterly unnecessary in regards to the Drago-riding-Toothless problem to even have a solo flying mechanism. If he can operate that mechanism, then he can, in principle, operate the entire thing. The thing is that there's no way that rod's going to hold up against his bloody great foot.
Sure, and I suppose we know Drago must have been actively operating the mechanism, since Toothless enters an uncontrolled free fall the moment he unseats Drago.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Kiddo is re-watching the Defenders of Berk, and just thought I would add that Fish Legs is able to operate Toothlesses' fin in the 2nd episode of the season (Gronkle Iron one). He uses the Foot side one to operate it.

draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

Horrible Headcanon Time! XD

I was listening to the HTTYD2 soundtrack on Youtube (Stoick's Ship :'( ) and there was a comment that kind of influenced my headcanon:
Headcanon

I warned you it was horrible. :/ Maybe when I get better ideas I will be able to make a better headcanon.

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

I remember during Eret's ship scene, Hiccup pulled something like a gear paddle to open Toothless' prosthetic wing and lock its position. I guess that's how Toothless can solo glide temporarily.

I do have another question: What happened to Hiccup's firery sword when the bad bewilderbeast spat ice on Hiccup? It should be lingering somewhere near Drago and his spear but couldn't find it...
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

The two questions you have are basically the few plot holes and mysteries HTTYD2 have.

1. I know that besides the rod-thing Hiccup uses, there is another pedal that could control Toothless’ tail fin. But I want to ask this first, won’t anyone need both sides of to be controlable by themeselves to control Toothless’ tail fin in order to fly him? If anyone could control his tail fin with one pedal only, why would Hiccup need to specially make a rod connecter thing anyway?

I always imagined that Drago were just using his staff thing to control the rod-contraption to control Toothless’ tail fin. Because there is no way that Drago could’ve control that thing to control Toothless, as far as I’m concerned.

2. Maybe that would be explained in HTTYD3...
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

mr.k.c.w.
15 Jul 2014, 14:14
The two questions you have are basically the few plot holes and mysteries HTTYD2 have.

1. I know that besides the rod-thing Hiccup uses, there is another pedal that could control Toothless’ tail fin. But I want to ask this first, won’t anyone need both sides of to be controlable by themeselves to control Toothless’ tail fin in order to fly him? If anyone could control his tail fin with one pedal only, why would Hiccup need to specially make a rod connecter thing anyway?

I always imagined that Drago were just using his staff thing to control the rod-contraption to control Toothless’ tail fin. Because there is no way that Drago could’ve control that thing to control Toothless, as far as I’m concerned.

I am no fly/aeromechanics expert, and this is just my theory:
The rod-thing that both Hiccup and Drago use controls the opening an closing of the wing; while the pedal control more refine positions (degree of wing span? angle? I remember in httyd1, Hiccup written 6 positions on his cheat sheets), which enables them to perform more technical flying maneuvers such as up surf, sky diving, and any suicidal maneuvers they want to try (i got this idea when i noticed the film showing hiccup controllingl his right pedal and then making speed turns with Toothless in the opening scene of httyd2.)

So, if you just wanna take off, glide and hoover, maybe all you need to do is to control the rod-gear thing, which is comparatively easier??
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

DerangedTheDagur
Pirate Lord of the Berk archipelago

dorcas18
15 Jul 2014, 14:39
mr.k.c.w.
15 Jul 2014, 14:14

I am no fly/aeromechanics expert, and this is just my theory:
The rod-thing that both Hiccup and Drago use controls the opening an closing of the wing; while the pedal control more refine positions (degree of wing span? angle? I remember in httyd1, Hiccup written 6 positions on his cheat sheets), which enables them to perform more technical flying maneuvers such as up surf, sky diving, and any suicidal maneuvers they want to try (i got this idea when i noticed the film showing hiccup controllingl his right pedal and then making speed turns with Toothless in the opening scene of httyd2.)

So, if you just wanna take off, glide and hoover, maybe all you need to do is to control the rod-gear thing, which is comparatively easier??

I was just watching the clip of the two of them flying in he beginning of the movie, and I'm pretty sure you're right
"I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." ~Captain Jack Sparrow

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I love headcanon. It sparks my imagination. I love that they left things like this dangling so that I can play with them.

When I first saw the rod in question, it reminded me of a gear shift pedal on a motorcycle.

5. Fourth gear
4. Third gear
3. Second gear
2. Neutral
1. First gear

You tap downward with the bottom of your foot to shift down, and you tap upward with the top of your foot to shift up.

Since Hiccup looks as if he's in motorcycle leathers, this is a nice image.

As for glowing-Toothless and oddly-plasma-spitting Toothless, I just think back to a few Defenders of Berk episodes, which presented these concepts.

btw, cometotheberkside, I even love horrible headcanon :)

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I also love that the mask looks and works like a hockey mask, and that the character slapping it down like a hockey player does is voiced by none other than Jay "Goon" Baruchel :hiccup:

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Are we also forgetting that in the series Stoick successfully rode Toothless?

I would think they are using the tip of their toe. They probably are not putting enough pressure on it to break it, but the tip of their boot or heel could control it. I don't think the petal is built just for Hiccup. There are ways for other people to ride it, and I think its rather close minded to question what DreamWorks came up with. I am personally gonna study it, and see what I come up with.

Also about Hiccup not reinventing the auto tail; times change, and if he felt Toothless was ready to fly on his own, why not give him the auto tail? Although he chose Hiccup in gift of the night fury, perhaps Toothless grew to want to fly on his own. I would think as an animal he would want some freedoms, as no animal is completely tame. So I don't see why its a bad idea to think that the tail is used somewhat like the auto tail.

I will upload the pics in a sec, but as far as I can tell;

Hiccups good foot is in a stirrup like thing, that might help stear. Similar to a horse stirrup, only dragon styled. His other foot is connected to a metal rod, which is connected by sliding his mechanical foot over it, with a hole in his foot so it will lock in place.

By moving this forward he can adjust the tail, and by pressing a lever forward he can switch it to an auto lock position.

This is all seen in the teaser trailer right as he says "What do you think bud you wanna give this another shot?"

You will see a brief shot of both his legs when Toothless makes the groan, so pause there. Then you will see him move his foot lever forward. And then a lever with his hand.

One could move this rod that he uses with his leg just by nudging it with their foot. One could also use the lever with their hand, though he probably never used this.

My theory is that by nudging the lever he was able to position Toothless tail, as it isn't really a "no one else can do this thing" because all it would take is him nudging his foot against it to move it. The other thing would be more like a stirrup, so its possible his other leg wasn't even firmly in the stirrup.