Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 20 Jun 2014, 21:13 (21666 Views)
KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Eret
21 Jun 2014, 00:02
I must be the only one who doesn't think the "gang" needs to be developed any more than they are....
You're not the only one who thinks that, because I agree with you. They're fine as background characters, but this is Hiccup's story. We don't need to know every detail of their lives, which would divert time away from the main narrative.

The one exception to this should be Astrid due to her importance to Hiccup. I have to admit that I was disappointed that she basically did nothing for the entire movie despite some of the hype saying she would have a bigger role. If anything, her biggest moment seemed a bit out of character when she panicked and blurted out a bunch of dumb threats to Drago which keyed him in on Hiccup and Berk in general. Everything we knew about her up to that point led me to believe she was smarter and cooler under pressure than that. I guess you could say that her role in the plot was one of my least favorite things since this is the thread for that.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Crest1347
Dragon Egg

MC_Oceans
21 Jun 2014, 00:11
Eret
21 Jun 2014, 00:07
MC_Oceans
21 Jun 2014, 00:04
All we know that happened in the five years is that Snotlout and Fishlegs grew facial hair and had a crush on Ruffnut, who buried Snotlout alive for a few hours.
Yeah..?
I didn't find that enough. I think they could've elaborated a little more on what happened to them.
Set me straight if I'm wrong, but how much character development was in the first movie?

Fishlegs: We learn he is skittish and a love for dragon stats.

Snotlout: The average jerk who quickly jumps on the bandwagon.

The twins: Do we learn anything except that they fight each other? Do they even have distinguishable personalities in the first movie?

Astrid: A bit of an odd example. Her character is explored, but not developed. She is just a Berkian girl (read: an awesome warrior) who wants to place first in Dragon training and concedes to Hiccup when he pulls off an awesomer stunt. And 'awesomer' is a word.

Most of the development for the gang (even if I concede Astrid for the first movie) was actually in the shorts and the series.

Now could they have done it in the 2nd? Eh. I don't know. They already had a lot of stuff and the movie's sequences felt slightly rushed. Between the two, I prefer (jury is still out on the overall like) that they gave Hiccup and Toothless the screentime that they needed for their story.

Astrid
Gronckle

KentuckyWildcat
21 Jun 2014, 01:13
Eret
21 Jun 2014, 00:02
I must be the only one who doesn't think the "gang" needs to be developed any more than they are....
You're not the only one who thinks that, because I agree with you. They're fine as background characters, but this is Hiccup's story. We don't need to know every detail of their lives, which would divert time away from the main narrative.

The one exception to this should be Astrid due to her importance to Hiccup. I have to admit that I was disappointed that she basically did nothing for the entire movie despite some of the hype saying she would have a bigger role. If anything, her biggest moment seemed a bit out of character when she panicked and blurted out a bunch of dumb threats to Drago which keyed him in on Hiccup and Berk in general. Everything we knew about her up to that point led me to believe she was smarter and cooler under pressure than that. I guess you could say that her role in the plot was one of my least favorite things since this is the thread for that.
I saw this too as a problem regarding her character because as you said I also looked her in another light, but then I realised my interpretation of the character might be wrong (I remember saw that after reading a avannak post in tumblr)

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

Crest1347
21 Jun 2014, 05:30
MC_Oceans
21 Jun 2014, 00:11
Eret
21 Jun 2014, 00:07
Yeah..?
I didn't find that enough. I think they could've elaborated a little more on what happened to them.
Set me straight if I'm wrong, but how much character development was in the first movie?

Fishlegs: We learn he is skittish and a love for dragon stats.

Snotlout: The average jerk who quickly jumps on the bandwagon.

The twins: Do we learn anything except that they fight each other? Do they even have distinguishable personalities in the first movie?

Astrid: A bit of an odd example. Her character is explored, but not developed. She is just a Berkian girl (read: an awesome warrior) who wants to place first in Dragon training and concedes to Hiccup when he pulls off an awesomer stunt. And 'awesomer' is a word.

Most of the development for the gang (even if I concede Astrid for the first movie) was actually in the shorts and the series.

Now could they have done it in the 2nd? Eh. I don't know. They already had a lot of stuff and the movie's sequences felt slightly rushed. Between the two, I prefer (jury is still out on the overall like) that they gave Hiccup and Toothless the screentime that they needed for their story.
so what you're telling me is that I am wording my argument wrong? Whether it be exploring or developing the new or slightly changed personalities, they should've been using screen time they had at least in the first five minutes to explain what happened in the past five years [like how Snotlout and Fishlegs grew to have a crush in Ruffnut and started competing for her]
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

least favourite thing is the singing part, I don't really like the fact that they are singing and dancing celtic songs and dances, I would have liked the part if it was baroque (the real one, not the classy piano sort of baroque), but it's just my opinion.

And something else I hate is that someone tries to send me a recorded version of the movie, it's really annoying, because who would like to see httyd2 in low quality? it just makes you look really desperate :ermm:

Crest1347
Dragon Egg

MC_Oceans
21 Jun 2014, 14:05
so what you're telling me is that I am wording my argument wrong? Whether it be exploring or developing the new or slightly changed personalities, they should've been using screen time they had at least in the first five minutes to explain what happened in the past five years [like how Snotlout and Fishlegs grew to have a crush in Ruffnut and started competing for her]
No, not exactly. What I'm trying to say is that like the first movie, they concentrated on Toothless and Hiccup and, by extension, Astrid.

My last point was (trying to, atleast) say that since we have the gang's personalities well in hand, don't spend time with secondary development. Go ahead with the story, which is Hiccup and Toothless, and which already feels compressed. The only secondary character development I would have insisted upon is the Fishlegs/Ruffnut thing (for what I think are obvious reasons).

If they had more time, or a smaller story, I would have loved to see the development. I'm just trying to prioritize the monumental amount of stuff I would have loved to see HTTYD 2.

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

Crest1347
21 Jun 2014, 23:29
I'm just trying to prioritize the monumental amount of stuff I would have loved to see HTTYD 2.
Oh, I see now. I wasn't prioritizing anything. I was thinking as if they had time and money for a little more secondary development. I know it isn't always like that, but it would've been nice
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Astrid
Gronckle

Astrid
20 Jun 2014, 20:34
Cartoon Freak
20 Jun 2014, 14:03
I think I've asked this before, but I don't recall getting an answer: are there any specific examples you can think of where the soundtrack didn't match the scene? Well, other than the first use of "Where No One Goes".
I'm afraid right now I don't have a specific example but I'm definetly going to watch it again over the weekend so I will come back and give you a better answer. For now even if it isn't the best example I remember I was bothered by "the dancing and the dreaming". Now I personnally love the song, it makes me remember the kind of songs you learn in europe with friends or when you're in bars or in competitions etc, and the soundtrack version is beautiful, BUT the way it was introduced in the movie was terrible, the intention was good but the execution was bad, it didn't fit together.
Ok I watched the movie again and these were the parts where I thought there was a problem with the soundtrack-scene:
-when drago attacked the bewilderbeast lair (before the gang appeared)
-after valka's bewilderbeast appeared
-when drago's bewilderbeast is chasing valka (before hiccup talks with drago)
-when hiccup tries to get toothless back (once they are on berk)
In those scenes I thought the sound and image did not fit together, like if there was some kind of battle between them looking to take the spot instead of blending and complementing each other.

Baron Von Clop
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I'm firmly in the camp that the movie series does not need more development on the side characters - the series has a ton of that as it is. It fits perfectly there, but the movie series is (rightfully so, IMO) about Toothless and Hiccup, especially now that they are alpha dragon and leader of Berk respectively.

draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

I loved the movie, but there were a few things I wasn't really happy with:

1. I felt like the flashback of Valka's abduction could do without narration. I don't know but I feel like two flashbacks, both with narrations kind of was too much.

2. There were all those new dragons but no ablilities were shown. What about Cloudjumper's torus of fire, or the calming sensation of a Hobblegrunt? The Sea Shockers only appeared in a few frames, and not much was revealed about the Snafflefang. I just hope they'd use these in the third.

EDIT Though I suppose they thought the movie was going to be too long with those details. I don't remember seeing the dragon traps in the movie, so Cloudjumper's lockpicking or ability to tear apart war machines (from the Dragonpedia) wasn't used.