Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 02 Jul 2014, 09:47 (20922 Views)
Eret
....Son of Eret

Astrid
02 Jul 2014, 04:20
Dagur The Deranged
02 Jul 2014, 00:44
Did anyone else feel that Valka's line "Good dragons under the control of bad men do bad things" was completely unnecessary and awkward?
YES, I facepalmed at that moment, even if I see why they put that line in there. I would have love if they explained/said this in a more subtle way
tbh they already had two different lines that said it in a more subtle way. Valka's "it wasn't his fault, you know that," and when Hiccup was trying to get toothless back and he kept saying how it wasn't his fault and he'd never hurt him. both of those had the same function as the "good dragons under bad people" line, made it extremely clear that toothless wasn't to blame, but felt more natural and necessary.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Astrid
Gronckle

Eret
02 Jul 2014, 13:47
Astrid
02 Jul 2014, 04:20
Dagur The Deranged
02 Jul 2014, 00:44
Did anyone else feel that Valka's line "Good dragons under the control of bad men do bad things" was completely unnecessary and awkward?
YES, I facepalmed at that moment, even if I see why they put that line in there. I would have love if they explained/said this in a more subtle way
tbh they already had two different lines that said it in a more subtle way. Valka's "it wasn't his fault, you know that," and when Hiccup was trying to get toothless back and he kept saying how it wasn't his fault and he'd never hurt him. both of those had the same function as the "good dragons under bad people" line, made it extremely clear that toothless wasn't to blame, but felt more natural and necessary.
you're right I forgot about those :P

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

I didn't like the scene close to the end where Drago sat on Toothless and let Hiccup try getting Toothless back, I mean...
If he's one of your enemies, and he's 1m away from you, petting a mindcontrolled dragon which you are sitting on, in attempt to defeat you with it, do you sit and watch him try?

It's one of those moments where Drago is waaaay too nice, there's a few of them.
When he says "I alone, control the dragons!" to Astrid, he is a bit childish, Dreamworks made him a "Villain from child perspective", who is all boasting and is easily annoyed.
He's a cool villain, but I think that they could have made the movie so much more exciting if they made him act more like an adult and not be all "I hate you because you're my enemy, but since this is a movie I am going to be nice and not kill you while you attempt to defeat me".

Toothless123
Night Fury

Nightshade
03 Jul 2014, 16:34
I didn't like the scene close to the end where Drago sat on Toothless and let Hiccup try getting Toothless back, I mean...
If he's one of your enemies, and he's 1m away from you, petting a mindcontrolled dragon which you are sitting on, in attempt to defeat you with it, do you sit and watch him try?
I think that Drago was so confident that Toothless's mind control wouldn't break, he just let Hiccup try. And Hiccup succeeded...
But I don't understand why Drago didn't just get Toothless to fire a plasma blast at Hiccup; I mean, Hiccup would have been close enough to be killed in the blast.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Actually that part was not badly done. Drago cant order Toothless to fire. He orders his alpha, which then orders Toothless. But if you notice carefully, you can see that the alpha had trouble controlling Toothless properly. Right when Hiccup started to talk to Toothless, Toothless begins to fight it, and you can see the alpha's pupils dilate repeatedly.

And Drago himself asks Hiccup to try his best to turn Toothless. Overconfidence perhaps.

Toothless123
Night Fury

DarthBacon
03 Jul 2014, 16:50
And Drago himself asks Hiccup to try his best to turn Toothless. Overconfidence perhaps.
Toothless123
03 Jul 2014, 16:46
I think that Drago was so confident that Toothless's mind control wouldn't break, he just let Hiccup try. And Hiccup succeeded...

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

Still, he had a stick, if he sees that something happens with Toothless when Hiccup speaks with him, instead of saying "what are you doing?" he could have taken the stick he uses to call on the alpha and hit Hiccup with it, there's so many things he could have done.
Last thing: how high up where they? I mean, didn't he fall from a pretty great distance? can't remember much from the film right now xD

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

The joke of how they kept getting censoring cuss words, (I mean, either cuss, or don't cuss.) how Astrid sort of maybe unintentionally helped Drago kill Stoick, and how she doesn't play much of an important role otherwise, and how the mind control and Toothless' glowy spine thing ( >:( ) work. The thing that sets Dragons apart from most other fantasy works is how there's a science to everything, and they don't just try to explain everything with "magic". It seems like Valka, who has 15 years' worth more dragon knowledge than Hiccup, would be an integral part of the final battle, but instead she just keeps getting saved by Stoick and Hiccup. I know other people have said this, but how Hiccup and Stoick just accept Valka's "I'm sorry", and then how after the funeral, no one seems much upset or even seems to care anymore about Stoick's death, other than the statue they build, or even seem that upset about the damn near complete destruction of their village! Also, I know they're trying to show how he's stronger and more confident at the end of the movie, but Hiccup's end narration was kind of annoyingly yelly. "BUT WE HAVE--OUR DRAGONSS!!!11!!1" Other people have noted how cliché of a villain Drago is and his backstory, but the thing that bothers me most about him is how lazy his name is.

Regardless, I do still love this movie to death.
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

1. The Mind Control: It was mentioned before that it's somewhat unrealistic. It's also weird that Hiccup just talks to Toothless and then he gets back to normal. I truly loved the scene, but it seemed a little bit like Disney's "True Loves Kiss" bringing back dead characters. Plus, I don't understand how it caused conflict. Even the kids at the cinema understood that Toothless didn't want to kill Stoick and that it wasn't his fault.

2. Pacing: Especially the last 30 minutes or so where really badly paced. From battle, to scary scene, to sad scene, to happy scene and to battle scene again. The pacing constantly changed.

3. Toothless' Character: I really missed the mysterious and sometimes dangerous dragon side of Toothless. For the most part he acted like a cute puppy. They even called him a cute puppy in the artbook of HTTYD2, when they talked about the mind control concept. He's a wild, ferocious creature, whose behavior will never be fully understood by humans. >:(

4. The Blindfold Scene: I've read about the existence of this scene before I first watched the movie and expected a long flying sequence, in which Hiccup has to steer and maneuver to avoid obstacles without Toothless knowing what he's doing. And what did we get: A 30 second sequence of flying straight toward the Bewilderbeast and avoiding the ice blast by flying over it.
This really dissappointed me.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

Toothless123
Night Fury

TheBlackFluffyThing
11 Nov 2014, 17:34
1. The Mind Control: It was mentioned before that it's somewhat unrealistic. It's also weird that Hiccup just talks to Toothless and then he gets back to normal. I truly loved the scene, but it seemed a little bit like Disney's "True Loves Kiss" bringing back dead characters.
Id recommend that you'd look at this. ;)