Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 11 Nov 2014, 17:01 (20631 Views)
DarkWing
Hatchling

- Too many characters; it felt cluttered because they weren't fleshed out properly or properly integrated.
- No proper night scenes!
- Cheesy Ruffnut/Eret gag
- Cringeworthy one-liners from some characters.
- Valka's integration into the story seemed a bit contrived.
-Stoick's death (though it was very well done, he was the perfect viking for a HTTYD movie, and not having him in the third movie may be a significant loss)
- The central problem was not as significant as the first movie.
- Drago was an underdeveloped character, dare I say cliche.
- Convenient Toothless upgrade at the end
- Though the soundtrack was better on the whole, the individual songs never met the mark of the original OST's.
- The pacing was imbalanced (the first one had what I think is the best pacing in any movie), an example was the happy scene straight after Stoick died.
- The mind control / recovery of Toothless.

Don't get me wrong, I loved this movie, I just think (apart from Hiccup's character, which I thought was amazing in the second movie), it had many little flaws that on the whole withdrew from the quality of the full experience.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Mccallistair
Gronckle

If I could say one thing, it is Valka's line during the finale. Hiccup says "He's challenging the Alpha!" Valka adds "To protect you."

This one three word line is so horribly timed and out of placed that it throws off the entire momentum of the scene for a second. We all have to stop and groan at how bad this line is, instead of focusing on Toothless being a badass. It's like someone just burps in the middle of the script. it's an awkward and unnecessary addition to what was already a crowded scene, and it drives me insane that this is the one thing above all others I find fault in with this movie. I still love the film, but out of all its little things that annoy people this one is the worst for me.

MudkipStar
im just kinda here well occasionally

WasBornCrazy
11 Jun 2014, 11:21
So most of can agree that HTTYD 2 was awesome, but it was not perfect. What are somethings you didn't like about it and why?

I hated how quickly Eret changes sides. It's either I missed out on something or it just goes from 'scared of Drago' to 'help Astrid and then let the dragons out of the traps'. Way too quick.

And then there's how Drago rode Toothless. HOW?!
I know im REALLY late but I have a theory about Eret.
While on Drago's ship Stormfly saves Eret's life and right after he has a kind of amazed look on his face. On Eret's ship, Hiccup said something like 'once you earn a dragon's loyalty they will do anything for you.' Also, when Eret finds Stormfly he says 'thank you for saving my life.'

Once Drago has tried to kill Eret, there is no reason for Eret to be loyal to Drago anymore. He's also seen that people and dragons can be very loyal to each other. So I think it was more 'go against Drago and help the dragon that saved my life' than 'I'm going to help Astrid and every dragon ever.' Just my theory.
hi im réka
im developing a mildly unhealthy obsession with obiwan kenobi (more like obiwan kenoBAE am i right)
my personal tumblr is ninja-stop
im also writing a fantasy/humor novel called RESET which i won nanowrimo 2015 with i have a writing tumblr for it if you wanna check that out
yeah thats it this probably isnt what should go in a signature but w/e
i have 2 pet buns

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

. .

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Ok peeps after watching the movie on Blu-Ray I have decided to nitpick every single thing I hate about this movie.

First: I have greatly aggravated by how arrogant and, in my opinion, irresposible Hiccup has become. He doesn't ever listen to his father (and Gobber's excuse of him being 20. Get out.) even when Stoick tells him how Drago killed many fellow chieftains and Hiccup stupidly still insist on going out and talking with Drago. He doesn't even listen to his mother about Drago.

Secondly: Almost the entire soundtrack of the second movie didn't fit with what was happening that it actually makes me less engrossed or interested in the scene. Prime examples are "Where No One Goes", "Battle of the Bewilderbeast", "Together We Map The World", "Two New Alphas", some parts in "Meet Drago", the Gobber parts in "For The Dancing and The Dreaming". "Where No One Goes" is most definitely the most aggravating to me.

Third: This is a movie with dragons. Did all of these damn dragons forget they have fire?

Fourth: So many of the lines felt just like WHAT. The one where Valka says Hiccup has the heart of a chief and the soul of dragon. What in the heck does this mean?

Fifthly: All of the characters wgo aren't Hiccup are pushed to the background, even his own dragon (not that I care that he was).

Sixth: When your dad dies you don't cry for a little then be happy. The fact that Gobber and Snotlout seemed more broken by Stoick's death than Hiccup, even though he is Hiccup's dad bothers me. And why the heck is Astrid smiling in that scene? And the next scenarios right after is all goofy and happy. WHAT. THE. ACTAUL. HECK.

Seventh: The whole Alpha bull? Just lame.

Eigth: Um. Excuse me but a lot of the flight animation is off. Like right after Toothles spins out of the tail of the Bewilderbeast his wings go outwards unrealitcallt. It hurts me deep down since I love flight animation and HTTYD had good flight animation but then this scene... Ugh.

Ninth: Cloudjumper flying away before "Losing Mom" then POOF. Magically rappers right where he was before "Losing Mom".

Ten: USE YOUR FIRE YOU DUMB DRAGONS.

Eleven: Why did Toothless not climb on the iceberg and run after Hiccup in Toothles Lost? Can he seriously NOT effing swim without a backfin. Please.

Twelth: No. Valka should not talk like that. Her voice should be scratchy and garbled, more dragon-like than understandable.

Thirtenth: MIND CONTROL. JUST NO. And on the mind control topic why did it take the Bewilderbeast forever to control Tooth-dumb when the Red Death's mind control literally happened instantously?

Fourteen: Are Berk's dragons really thin scaled because blowers should not pirace the back scales of Hookfang that easily. Neck scales, yes but back scales? NO. But even then most of the dragons have thick hide, or scales, on their necks and little darts shouldn't affect them that well. Also Stormfly is felled by one dart? NONONONONONO.

Fifteenth: Come on children aren't going to explode because of blood on dragon tusk. Put blood on the damn tusks please for realism sakes.

That is all for now since I need to sleep.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Exactly! I agree mostly to all your points. The baby dragons scene is just dumb and so out of place. The twins are actually laughing in that scene. They should have left that scene out completely.

And the soundtrack! John Powell did an amazing, wonderful job, and what I feel is somehow the movie does not do it any justice. If i give the soundtrack a 10 (which I do), I would give the movie a 6. And Where No One Goes was okay as the credits song, but in the beginning? Just NO. Also, they should have ended it like how they did with HTTYD, with the flying theme playing in the background when This is Berk starts. But in HTTYD 2, Where No One Goes almost starts right away during This is Berk. I did not like that.

And in the battle, none of the dragons seem to use fire... Even in HTTYD i don't remember them using fire that much but.

The ending. No need to shout Hiccup. We can hear you just fine.

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

HideousZippleback
12 Nov 2014, 06:34
Ok peeps after watching the movie on Blu-Ray I have decided to nitpick every single thing I hate about this movie.

First: I have greatly aggravated by how arrogant and, in my opinion, irresposible Hiccup has become. He doesn't ever listen to his father (and Gobber's excuse of him being 20. Get out.) even when Stoick tells him how Drago killed many fellow chieftains and Hiccup stupidly still insist on going out and talking with Drago. He doesn't even listen to his mother about Drago.

Fifthly: All of the characters wgo aren't Hiccup are pushed to the background, even his own dragon (not that I care that he was).

Sixth: When your dad dies you don't cry for a little then be happy. The fact that Gobber and Snotlout seemed more broken by Stoick's death than Hiccup, even though he is Hiccup's dad bothers me. And why the heck is Astrid smiling in that scene? And the next scenarios right after is all goofy and happy. WHAT. THE. ACTAUL. HECK.

Eigth: Um. Excuse me but a lot of the flight animation is off. Like right after Toothles spins out of the tail of the Bewilderbeast his wings go outwards unrealitcallt. It hurts me deep down since I love flight animation and HTTYD had good flight animation but then this scene... Ugh.

Twelth: No. Valka should not talk like that. Her voice should be scratchy and garbled, more dragon-like than understandable.

Fifteenth: Come on children aren't going to explode because of blood on dragon tusk. Put blood on the damn tusks please for realism sakes.

That is all for now since I need to sleep.
I quoted what I want to comment on.

1) Yes, he is 20, maybe even just turned 20 for all we know. At that age and throughout all of teenhood, listening to your parents is a thing you don't always do, espacially if you see a situation from a different prospective. I'll give you that, he seemed to be way too much confident that he will succssed in convincing Drago, but what is wrong with that? He still means good, it's not that he does that BECAUSE Stoick told him not too, he tries to help his villiage and stop a war. The way might be questionable, but he still tries.

2) Oh, like in the first movie? Infect, I remembered the side characters in here more than I did in the original; but that might be a personal thing.

3) I'm sorry, Hiccup wasn't sad about Stoick's death? Did you miss the scene he screams at his best friend to go away because he basically killed him? Also, when did he smile from that moment up until the moment he breaks the Alpha's control over Toothless? And why Astrid smiled? Did you miss Hiccup's speech about how he is going to try to be like Stoick and that he is leading them back to fight to Berk? Yeah, that's the reason, the boy became responsible. Like you wanted him to be in the beginning. I'll give you that, the scene following with the baby dragons wasn't neccessary.

4) Are you kidding me? I know we are supposed to nitpick in this topic but... This is just ridiculous.

5) Same as 4

6) Same as the above.

And now to my nitpickes:

1) There is no way Astrid made it through that door when she was following Hiccup to find Drago. The door was an inch away from closing.

2) Ever noticed how fast the go from one place to another? One moment Astrid and the gang are on this iceberg, decide to search for Eret, cut to where Eret is and they found him. I know dragons are fast but yeesh, even the Road Runner doesn't go that fast.

3) During the fight between Stoick and Drago, Gobber flies in on Grump to hand Stoick a weapon. Next time we see him, Grump is gone and Gobber is traversing by foot. Where did Grump go?

Toothless123
Night Fury

There's been a lot of comments saying about how Drago was a bland/weak villian/cliché.
I'd just like to say, that in my opinion, he wasn't any of those things.
I don't want to get into an argument, but I just want to say this.

If you analysed him as a character, like ToothlesstheNightfury and I did (this post might help you with that), and looked into his backstory and personality a bit more, you might see that he wasn't any of the things that some people said.

However, I will concede that he wasn't perfect. In fact, maybe it was intentional for him to have flaws, like Valka did.
Valka was intended to be the villain of HTTYD 2, and Drago was intended to be the villain of HTTYD 3. When the whole Valka-as-a-villain-thing didn't work out, they knew that they had to have a new villain, and they already had one- albeit from another film in the franchise.
Drago was kind of... shall we say... underdeveloped anyway, as he was originally intended to be the villian of said film mentioned above.
And, also, when they decided that he was going to be the villian of HTTYD 2, I'm guessing that they didn't have much time to develop him, too.
So, both those reasons combined, will hopefully cause you to rethink your comments. ;)

Plus, I hated him for the things he did to Hiccup. I'd say that's a sign of a good villain, however much of a villian/cliché said villian was.

Now, you can choose to leave my reasoning here, or you can read the part which is contained in spoiler tags.
Spoiler: click to toggle

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

This is a small detail, but I'm not sure if this could be inappropriate, so I'm going to put it in a spoiler bar even though it's not really a spoiler.
Spoiler: click to toggle
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

DarthBacon
Gronckle

I for one think that there wasn't any fault with Drago. You cannot say that Drago is underdeveloped until HTTYD 3 comes out. This movie was planned keeping the third one in mind. So, maybe the majority of Drago is yet to come. Who knows? Only if there is no Drago in the third movie, you can say that he had no character development at all.

His character arc has just begun. You don't read just one chapter of a novel and say that the book is too short.