Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 12 Nov 2014, 11:26 (20618 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

His character arc has just begun. You don't read just one chapter of a novel and say that the book is too short.
That's not a good analogy at all. Different chapters are still part of the same text, that is, the novel. A film, on the other hand, is, in general, meant to tell a distinct story (the main exceptions of note would be films like The Lord of the Rings, where production was largely done all at once). HTTYD 2 is not an exception to this rule. The story it tells is complete, albeit with the audience benefiting from prior knowledge. There is a protagonist with some issues to resolve, there is an external threat to fend off, and in the end, the hero is successful in both areas.

Saying that Drago being developed in later films will make up for him not being developed in this film is a cop-out, plain and simple.

With all that said, I had no big problems with Drago in this movie. He serves his purpose as an obstacle for Hiccup and Toothless to overcome. In that way, he is, somewhat ironically, like dragons and other monsters in old legends.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

Maybe it's just me, but in Stoick and Valka's flashbacks, they didn't look that much younger. The certainly didn't seem twenty years younger. I think I heard that Valka's ten years younger than Stoick, who is fifty in HTTYD2, so at the time of the flashbacks, she should have been twenty. About the same age as the teens, but she just seems older than them. :/
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

RealHousewifeofBerk
13 Nov 2014, 17:01
Maybe it's just me, but in Stoick and Valka's flashbacks, they didn't look that much younger. The certainly didn't seem twenty years younger. I think I heard that Valka's ten years younger than Stoick, who is fifty in HTTYD2, so at the time of the flashbacks, she should have been twenty. About the same age as the teens, but she just seems older than them. :/
Yes, they both really did look exactly how they looked in the second movie. Stoick also doesn't look like thirty.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

It's not really a surprise that Stoick says she's "as beautiful as the day he lost her". Apart from a couple gray hairs, she's hardly aged a day in twenty years.
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

The fact that Stoick and Valka had no visible change in their bodies during Valka's flashback. Unless they stopped aging at 20 and 30.

ggamer77
Hatchling

The only thing I really didn't like was the fact the dragons could so easily be "mind controlled" by the alpha. ^) Didn't make much sense to me.

I probably have a few more nitpicks but that's the only major one.

^_^
irc://irc.caffie.net/HTTYD
My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ggamer77

HideousZippleback

[/color]

ggamer77
20 Nov 2014, 19:34
The only thing I really didn't like was the fact the dragons could so easily be "mind controlled" by the alpha. ^) Didn't make much sense to me.

I probably have a few more nitpicks but that's the only major one.

^_^
I never liked the mind control but if you etch the first movie during "Dragon's Den" then you will see the mind control actually tales place swiftly. *coughreddethisstillbettercough*

Toothless123
Night Fury

DarthBacon
12 Nov 2014, 14:25
I for one think that there wasn't any fault with Drago. You cannot say that Drago is underdeveloped until HTTYD 3 comes out. This movie was planned keeping the third one in mind. So, maybe the majority of Drago is yet to come. Who knows? Only if there is no Drago in the third movie, you can say that he had no character development at all.

His character arc has just begun. You don't read just one chapter of a novel and say that the book is too short.
^This. 8) I completely agree with you, for the reasons that I believe I covered in the 'New Interview with Dean DeBlois' thread. :D

HideousZippleback

[/color]

Am I also the only one who doesn't think Drago is black as lots of people say? (Thus making a complaint about DW being racist).

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

I don't understand the extreme nitpicking... I mean, I understand seeing several flaws, but this seems a little... extreme? Please don't attack me for that. .-.
And Drago doesn't look black, at least not to me. He's not a Viking, that's obvious, but I don't think DreamWorks was intentionally making him look black because he's the villain, as some reviews were claiming. I think he's most likely from somewhere else in Europe.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)