Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 15 Jun 2014, 09:37 (20977 Views)
BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

Cartoon Freak
15 Jun 2014, 13:31
This did bug me at first, but Eret (the forum member, not the character) put it best:
Quote:

Hiccup doesn't steer toothless with his metal leg, thats only for changing the flight "mode", like if its locked in to gliding position or if its free to be moved around. He steers and flies toothless with his real foot. Yes it has switched sides since the first movie, but if you watch which foot he uses while he is on Toothless's back, not getting ready to jump off of him, you will notice this is true. It makes more sense this way because to rotate your foot around so much requires calf muscles, and he has no calf muscles on the left side. Conceivably as long as toothless's tail is put in to the right gear, anyone could fly toothless.
Of course, it is still a bit of a problem of presentation, but as far as I can see at present (and I'll be looking at a few scenes more closely when I have the DVD), it's not a plot hole.
Oh yeah XD
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Fawnduu
Gronckle

There were a lot of reasons for valka not to come back.

1. Hiccup would be a dragon killer just like his father

2. she believed stoick incapable of changing and was fed up and when she found a world where she could live peacefully amond dragons and save them she felt a greater sense of duty there

3. The fear of returning to him after so many years, how he would react. She was afraid of him being angry at her and it was the last thing she wanted so she avoided it.

You can clearly see it when she sees stoick, Her instant reaction is to go into defensive mode and she prepares herself for yelling and anger, but stoick is a changed man and she realizes this. Still it takes her a while to get warmed up because you can see the guilt she felt and still feels for not being there and still giving stoick a chance to change.

4. The fear of seeing her son grow into the same thing stoick was before she had left

5. I doubt a riders bond was instantly formed between her and cloud jumper, and she didnt have any sort of materials or tools, just the clothes on her back when she was kidnapped, so reestablishing a home and basically where she was in the world probably took some time enough to the point where it would feel inappropriate to go back.

6. I dont know if you have ever experienced moving away from a friend/family (going away to college or moving towns) But once you get past a certain point of not speaking to people who meant a lot to you at some point it becomes very difficult to speak to them again because you feel guilty for not contacting them sooner and you easily become afraid of how they will react to you coming home.
Im Courtney, a Concept Artist/ Computer Animator! 8)

My Art Page
My Animations

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Gobber's interrupting during Stoick and Valka's song. Such a beautiful scene was not a good time for comedic moment. In fact, Gobber was not needed in that scene at all.

The fact that there were no skrills in Valka's dragon sanctuary.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Berserk Shieldmaiden
16 Jun 2014, 05:38
Gobber's interrupting during Stoick and Valka's song. Such a beautiful scene was not a good time for comedic moment. In fact, Gobber was not needed in that scene at all.

At least I'm not the only one bugged by Gobber being in that scene...

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

HideousZippleback
16 Jun 2014, 05:52
Berserk Shieldmaiden
16 Jun 2014, 05:38

At least I'm not the only one bugged by Gobber being in that scene...
People agree with me. Gobber was not need at all, why was he there?
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

MC_Oceans
16 Jun 2014, 05:59
[...] People agree with me. Gobber was not need at all, why was he there?
Perhaps they thought younger audiences might get too squeamish if they didn't break up Stoick's lengthy recital with a dash of comic relief. It's no different to Ruffnut's gags.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

puxlit
16 Jun 2014, 06:37
MC_Oceans
16 Jun 2014, 05:59
[...] People agree with me. Gobber was not need at all, why was he there?
Perhaps they thought younger audiences might get too squeamish if they didn't break up Stoick's lengthy recital with a dash of comic relief. It's no different to Ruffnut's gags.
I think this is it. I went to a really neat presentation by Tron Mai and some of the other people who worked on the film this past weekend, and they kept mentioning how Dean kept saying that certain moments were too heavy and needed to be lightened up. I think that's why Gobber was there in the family scenes at all. Personally, while he didn't bother me, I don't really agree with the choice -- the scenes would have stood perfectly well without his interruptions. We don't always need humor, and I personally think even the kids would have done fine without it.

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Stoicks death. I know some people will say that it was for hiccup to become chief and all but I honestly felt that it didn't have to be added and was very harsh. Especially after the family had been reunited. You have no idea how much that upset me. Plus was it just me or did the movie seem really really short? It's probably just me
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

OK, I will admit it, I did not like the mind control aspect. I understand why they did it (wanting to put conflict between Hiccup and Toothless) but I feel this could have been done differently. I would have liked even giving toothless some sort of mind-altering substance better than mind control.

I realize it a fantasy animal, but most of the Dragons actions seem based on behaviors seen in real life--and mind control is just too out there. I did not mind the Red Death homing beacon type thing, as it is somewhat like real life. It was clear the Red Death kept them in line with brute force.

But using mind control to force toothless to do something that would be just totally against his will? Especially since that action is later what helps snap him out of it (with some help from Alpha distraction, but for most part, alpha does seem to concentrate on toothless) Would be the only major thing I would change (as I understood the reasoning behind the other choices, and mostly agree)

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

The fact that Valka's dragon army never spewed fire at Drago's army. I mean hello? They ARE dragons so why aren't they burning things up?