Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
HTTYD1 references
Topic Started: 26 Jun 2014, 15:52 (5723 Views)
draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

This one's not really a reference, I guess, but when Toothless challenges the Alpha and Valka says "To protect you!" it reminded me of Hiccup reasoning with his father ("He was just protecting me!").

From this though, I also noticed that Toothless had 'challenged' the alpha human in the first movie (Stoick) and the alpha dragon in the second.

Most references were already said by previous posters XD
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

This may have been mentioned already but....

When toothless and hiccup are flying towards the bewilderbeasts tail and hiccup is just like "not again" XD

toothless' icicle drawing and (even grosser) fish regurgitation
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

chimuelo
Blacksmith Apprentice

MartianArchaeologist
26 Jun 2014, 17:40
KentuckyWildcat
14 Jun 2014, 00:47
I also just now remembered that in one of the scenes with Valka, Toothless did his "writing" with a giant stick again just like the Forbidden Friendship scene.
When he did that, I imagined him thinking "Yeah! And I've been here, and here and then I did the loop-dee-loop over this mountain, and...
I've mentioned this before, but I'm fairly sure Toothless was drawing Cloudjumper. But it'll be easier to analyze once we're able to pause the movie at home. ;)

mycove
Terrible Terror

MartianArchaeologist
Speaking of loop-dee-loop, did anyone catch the Hiccup character animation references to Jack Frost?
I didn't really think of Jack Frost... or maybe at the back of my mind, like for all the references to the first movie : while some are obvious, others are more subtle, and we get a nice feeling of "déjà-vu"...

Can you be more specific about Jack Frost ? because I would like to know.:p

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

mycove
27 Jun 2014, 07:40
MartianArchaeologist
Speaking of loop-dee-loop, did anyone catch the Hiccup character animation references to Jack Frost?
I didn't really think of Jack Frost... or maybe at the back of my mind, like for all the references to the first movie : while some are obvious, others are more subtle, and we get a nice feeling of "déjà-vu"...

Can you be more specific about Jack Frost ? because I would like to know.:p
The first one: When Hiccup first walks around in the Dragon Sanctuary, he has Jack's swagger, the "I got this" swagger that Jack also uses to cover up his uncertainty when he's at the North Pole.

The second one: The double-OMG face, one a microexpression and the other one a full-on expression. Jack's is at the "He sees me!" dialog, and Hiccup's is right after "A mother never forgets"

The third one: Flying, obviously. Skinny, cute, cocky kid up in the air, friends with the power which inspires him (the Wind, the Toothless)

The fourth one: "Who am I?" Basic question for both of them. Then each realizes who he is from the female guardian figure in his life. (I forgot the Jungian or Dramatica name for this figure, but the mother/Baby Tooth is playing the same role)

So, did anyone else see any more?

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I'm wondering if there's some sort of reference to HTTYD1 in just about every shot.

The reason I'm wondering is this: In the movie "Brave" I saw shot compositions modeled after many, many fantasy movies, everything from "Tarzan" to "Pocahontas" to "The Little Mermaid" and the list goes on.

When I watched "Frozen" I saw shot compositions modeled after many, many musicals. Everything from "The Lion King" to "Mary Poppins" to "The Sound of Music" --I think I saw one from "The King and I", the list just goes on.

I kept thinking I saw references from things in HTTYD2, but they're not all shot composition. And not just from HTTYD1, and not just from movies in the same genre.

For example, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Number 42. Of course it has to be in there. But it's been used so much that filmmakers are getting sneaky about how they put it in. Captain America's Winter Soldier had it in there, but it was "the next floor over from 41". HTTYD2 had it when Stoick served the next customer after 41.

When Toothless dives in to save Hiccup after Hiccup (and Toothless) show off for his mom (and Toothless's adopted brother) the soundtrack plays this trill fanfare--it's right out of the '60's campy "Batman" TV series, when the logo whirls around.

As for HTTYD1: Sometimes the shot uses sound effects from the first film. The groaning of Drago's ship as it sails through the night matches the groaning of Stoick's ship as it approaches Dragon Island. The cooing of dragons under the thrall of the Alpha, as someone else mentioned. Dialog--as other people have mentioned. The hexagonal columnar rock in the Terrible Terror sunset scene matches the hexagonal columnar rock in Valka's sanctuary.

And since they're parallelling so many elements, not just shot composition (although they do that too), I'm wondering if they took the challenge upon themselves to stick one in every shot.

[random rants at the Universe deleted]

added:

The dragon race at the beginning was Quidditch from Harry Potter, of course. The Mind Control part, especially with the creepy pupils, was from A Wrinkle in Time. And the part where Hiccup gets Toothless to snap out of the mind control was from "The Iron Giant".

Also my subconscious is telling me there's something from the book Kavalier and Clay but it won't tell me what.

Water-filled footprint from Jurassic Park.

If this were a science fiction movie, then Astrid's red shirt would mean something entirely different :D (I suspect they just wanted a reference to Star Trek) but here they just decided to match the kids' apparel up with the dragons' accent colors (Stormfly's being red).

When Drago beats on the chain with his staff, the sound is from the Imperial Walker shots in Empire Strikes Back.

Speaking of Tarzan, the whole alpha male thing--especially since the Bewilderbeast's face looks simian.

Back to HTTYD1--Our Gang laughing at Hiccup--in HTTYD2 now they're laughing at Drago (someone probably pointed this one out already)

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

I hope I'm not the only one who... Those last few posts honestly just went over my head, into space... To infinity and beyond...

I think the only parts I got out of that were the Batman bit and nothing much else...

Edit: the topic title IS HTTYD 1 references- not other movies...I'd use italics but adding those on my iPod are hard to do..
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

apocryphalreality
14 Jun 2014, 03:00
I don't know if this was a parallel exactly but in the final battle when Toothless is falling, his flailing around looked quite similar to the Test Drive scene in HTTYD. And then Hiccup shoots down after him, all confident like. I thought it was cool to show how much they have changed.
In the same vein, that slow motion extreme long shot of Hiccup diving after Toothless is quite similar to the shot where Toothless dives after an unconscious Hiccup in the first film.

-DREV-
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Either no one noticed, or they were too lazy to put it here, or I missed something, but in the flashback Valka tries to stop one of the vikings from hitting the dragon and says: "Stop! You only make it worse!" Or like that... It's the same when Hiccup says that to Stoick in the Kill Ring, when he's running towards Toothless or something... Gah!

I'm writing this with my phone, sorry for the bad quality. Also my native language is not English, so...

iluvhttyd
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Hope_and_Heir
18 Jun 2014, 12:25
And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
15 Jun 2014, 19:48
Surprised no one brought this one up yet, but when Fishlegs nearly gets blasted by The Alpha, he says "I'm OK!", just like the first movie before Meatlug falls on him. I was honestly waiting for him to say "Less OK..."
I was going to add that one!! X'D I was like 'less oka- FISHLEGS WHY DIDNT YOU SAY IT?!'
Yes!!! I was going to add that one too if no one had already done it!!! It was in the exact same tone too!! I wonder if they had him record it with the same tone or they used the voice clip from the first movie.