Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Those who knew about or foresaw Stoick's big scene
Topic Started: 10 Jul 2014, 15:31 (3901 Views)
Toothless123
Night Fury

TheBlackFluffyThing
10 Jul 2014, 19:15
I was shocked to see that Toothless killed Stoick. I always thought Drago would be the one to murder him.
I thought that too. It would have been ironic (is that the word?), because Drago's Bewilderbeast killed the other Alpha, and Drago would have killed the humans' Alpha, if you get what I mean.
And I also think it would be- honourable- for Stoick to have been murdered in one-to-one combat with the man who had been trying to murder him all along. That was considered a Viking-y thing to do, wasn't it?

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

I knew he would die while saving Hiccup because of the score Stoick Saves Hiccup, but I thought that Hiccup would kind of be knocked out on the ground and Drago would be coming up behind him with a dagger or something... and then Stoick would jump in and take the blow.

Unfortunately I heard too many rumours to ignore that it was Toothless who would kill Stoick, so I knew how he was gonna die :(

But the feels still got me.
They got me so hard... :'(
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

Astrid
Gronckle

Since the moment it was announced there was going to be a death my bet was in Stoick or Valka, but most of all Stoick because his death will have much more interesting results.

I heard everyone who watched the film say how sad it was, so I was expecting to cry a lot. But I didn't, not even teary eyed and it didn't really reached me emotionally. I remember as a child watching the lion king and not crying at mufasa's death, even if I understood what happened I didn't cried, so perhaps I'm not empathically receptive of this kind of death.

I really don't know what dreamworks could have done to make it more emotional regarding his death, and even if I knew he was going to die I never tried to imagine how it would happen. I guess I'm just a little bit disappointed that it didn't make me feel as sad as I though it could make me.

yakofawesome
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I got the complete opposite to what a lot of you are saying (that you knew Stoic died but not that Toothless was the killer). I read that Toothless kills someone and that they had to deal with that. So I assumed that Toothless kills some random guy and they examine what it means to take a life/dragons are still very dangerous/etc. Needless to say when Toothless killed Stoic I didn't know what hit me and, like many of you, it didn't hit me till the funeral scene...

Eret
....Son of Eret

I heard that toothless killed someone, and then someone on here spoiled that it was stoick, which sucked. I wasn't as affected by it because I knew it was coming. Actually the more times I watch the movie the more emotional it makes me because I'm able to actually absorb the story rather than waiting for everything I know is going to happen and not really paying much attention to everything else.

For the third movie I think I'm going to distance myself from the fandom and go in as completely spoiler free as possible. The first movie had such a huge emotional impact on me that I think was partially helped by the fact that I had no idea what the movie was about aside from being a dragons and vikings movie. I didn't feel quite the same with the second movie because I knew almost the whole entire plot going in. I don't want that to happen again with the third.

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

I knew for sure a major character would be killed off after I asked a question on one of the producers twitter, after hearing it would be a dark film. Dark films usually imply death or loss or something that will grab the audiences emotions. People were just beginning to wonder if someone would be killed off, but many people doubted and shot down any evidence I put out there. I remember posting the screenshot, and people sluffed it off, telling me it was nothing.

I had asked if the main characters in the movie were safe from being killed off, since there was a rumor going around someone would die.

Their response was that they had a contract and couldn't give details.

From then on I knew some major character was going to die, because if they weren't then it wouldn't have been a big deal otherwise. Plus the contract basically confirmed that they had some story like that in the works, and were not allowed to release details to the public. I basically knew it was Stoick, since that would be the easiest character to kill off and make the most sense. It wouldn't make sense to kill off Astrid or Valka, and Snotlout, Fishlegs, Ruff and Tuff wouldn't have as big of an emotional impact.

I did tend to think it might be Valka just before it released, but my prior theory that Stoick would be killed off proved true. People say it was "silly rumors" and stuff, but it was fun to speculate, and honestly despite no one believing me, and everyone doubting and shooting down the rumor that someone important would die, I knew someone would be killed off ever since the article that said "there would be a dark moment that tests Hiccup and Toothless' friendship" article came out which also stated that this film would be the darkest of the trilogy.

iluvhttyd
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

I knew about it before hand (some person on Tumblr leaked it to me) and I decided to deny it until it was confirmed. When I actually saw it happen, I changed. For the better or worse, I'm not sure. My heart broke seeing everyone's reactions to Stoick's death, especially Hiccup's since I have a personal connection with him.

When Stoick died (and during his funeral), I was bawling my eyes out, and I tried to be as quiet as I could; my mom thinks it's stupid I cried during an animated movie.

I'm not happy to say that I was happy to see Hiccup cry. I mean, that's not to say Hiccup doesn't have feelings. He lost his father for Thor's sake.

But seeing him sobbing on his father's body broke my heart.

If you didn't cry at all during Stoick's death and funeral scene, you have no heart. Or you got your tear ducts removed. Or the scene wasn't powerful enough to make you cry.

He got teased at 15. Even after the defeat of the Red Death.

I think I have PTSD because of Stoick's death...I can't get that part of the movie out of my head and all I see is Hiccup sobbing on his father's body (which tears my heart up, by the way) and Stoick getting killed by the brainwashed Toothless.

I couldn't even watch the first movie when it was on TV later that night...probably because of Stoick...that or I had just seen it the day before I saw HTTYD2.

After Stoick died, I held a memorial on the Monday after I saw the movie, complete with a hand-drawn picture of him surrounded by handmade paper flowers, eulogies by Hiccup, Valka, Gobber, myself, Tuffnut, Ruffnut, and Snotlout. The memorial also had music.

It may seem stupid to you that I held a memorial service for a fictional character, but to me, this was more than just a death of a character. I love Hiccup (as I'm sure a lot of you do too) and I hate seeing him in any form of pain. He hasn't been the same since his father's death, and I know I'll never be the same either.

I heard Gerard is signed on for the third movie, and I'm interested in hearing what they've got planned; if it'll be a Mufasa-type thing like TLK 2 where he shows up at the end and has one line or if there will be flashbacks or if Hiccup will have a nightmare remembering that day.

Stoick was more than a fictional character to me, and I will always treat him that way. Am I crazy? Probably. Did I become more depressed than I already was over Stoick's death? Most definitely.

But are we, as a fandom, going to stick together throughout these hard times, remembering Stoick during the good times, and sometimes the bad?

I seriously hope so.