Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Article Claims that Valka Isn’t a Strong Female Character
Topic Started: 16 Jun 2014, 19:54 (3653 Views)
valkasboy
Terrible Terror

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
16 Jun 2014, 23:17
Were they ever planning to flesh out her reasons for not returning? As I recall, the only thing we ever got was that she felt she would have been endangering Hiccup. I have to admit that left me a bit unsatisfied. I just felt there's so much more I wanted to know about this character. What you just said about losing priorities is particularly interesting.
Oh my gods! so many versions! Most of them only in storyboard form. They went round and round on whether Valka should think that Hiccup and Stoick had died in the attack. There was one version where Hiccup asks her why she didn't come back and she says "I did" then we launch into yet another flashback where you see Valka and Cloudjumper returning to Berk and seeing Stoick and a five year old Hiccup in the forest. She remains hidden as she witnesses her husband trying to teach her son how to slaughter a dragon using a fallen log as a substitute. She hangs her head and slips away. So, yeah, lots of stuff was tried.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

valkasboy
16 Jun 2014, 23:54
And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Were they ever planning to flesh out her reasons for not returning? As I recall, the only thing we ever got was that she felt she would have been endangering Hiccup. I have to admit that left me a bit unsatisfied. I just felt there's so much more I wanted to know about this character. What you just said about losing priorities is particularly interesting.
Oh my gods! so many versions! Most of them only in storyboard form. They went round and round on whether Valka should think that Hiccup and Stoick had died in the attack. There was one version where Hiccup asks her why she didn't come back and she says "I did" then we launch into yet another flashback where you see Valka and Cloudjumper returning to Berk and seeing Stoick and a five year old Hiccup in the forest. She remains hidden as she witnesses her husband trying to teach her son how to slaughter a dragon using a fallen log as a substitute. She hangs her head and slips away. So, yeah, lots of stuff was tried.
What was the reasoning against making her think stoick and hiccup had died?

Skywalker
Member Avatar
Hatchling

underwater-smiles
16 Jun 2014, 23:46
good point. The alpha kinda screwed everyone who needs/uses a dragon to fight over, really. And it did seem a bit out of place when they made her confront Drago, too. It just seemed out of character for her to do so.
I also think everyone but Toothless and Hiccup were sort of "sidelined" in, at least, the final battle. It was totally up to Hiccup and Toothless to finish off Drago and the Alpha, which really went against the themes building up throughout the movie of "teamwork! family! help one another!".
Yeah, I wasn't the biggest fan of the mind control stuff. I agree everyone was "sidelined", though it felt even more so with Valka considering her introduction and lifestyle the last 20 years.

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

underwater-smiles
16 Jun 2014, 23:28
[...] And another thing, how was she "on the sidelines"? She was in the middle of the battle the entire time! She did just as much as either Stoick or Hiccup did. She gets taken down by Drago and puts up a fight as long as she can. She's obviously never been a fighter, seen in the flash-backs, so how could she hold her own against someone like Drago?
It's not that she was physically sidelined; it's that her importance in the story as a character dissipated. After an hour of setup, her biggest contribution from the reunion onwards was to give Hiccup a morale boost.
valkasboy
16 Jun 2014, 22:47
[...] One thing I would like to caution people against, however, is laying all of this at Dean's doorstep. It's true, Dean's original vision for the film had Valka as a darker character, and Drago was not going to appear until film 3. But, I would not place the blame for the changes on Dean. He received many notes from multiple sources that he was obliged to deal with, and in my opinion he's a magician for being able to make a largely coherent movie considering the barrage of requests that he was deluged with. Some others may have thrown up their arms and quit, but he's a strong, patient, and insightful filmmaker and easily one of the best directors in the business.

I like Valka's flaws, it makes her interesting. She was always meant to represent the end of a path that Hiccup could go down, a mistaken path. Drago was a little like that too, in a different way. I think, as her animator, I would have preferred portraying her more like that, it would have been juicy! But early test audiences weren't liking it. Personally, I don't like the notion of relying on test screenings to shape your work, I think we should just make what we want to make.

[...] The last moment to go was right after Valka and Hiccup hug in the snow, she then said "Right, we'll start by rescuing Berk's dragons!" and a little argument ensued. It was a good moment for Hiccup as he realized that Valka's way, as much as Stoick's way, was not him.

I understand why the changes were made, I mean having your dad die, AND your mum revealed to be a psycho is a little much for one movie, well, for a general audience anyway. The hardcore fans probably would have liked it. [...]
Thanks for providing this wonderful slice of history. That original story sounds far more fulfilling. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you folks, what with having to balance bold storytelling with business constraints.

Skywalker
Member Avatar
Hatchling

valkasboy
16 Jun 2014, 23:54
And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Ah, so much potential. Would have loved a real, more fleshed out explanation.

Skywalker
Member Avatar
Hatchling

puxlit
17 Jun 2014, 00:07
underwater-smiles
16 Jun 2014, 23:28
[...] And another thing, how was she "on the sidelines"? She was in the middle of the battle the entire time! She did just as much as either Stoick or Hiccup did. She gets taken down by Drago and puts up a fight as long as she can. She's obviously never been a fighter, seen in the flash-backs, so how could she hold her own against someone like Drago?
It's not that she was physically sidelined; it's that her importance in the story as a character dissipated. After an hour of setup, her biggest contribution from the reunion onwards was to give Hiccup a morale boost.
Exactly this. I was trying to find the words, but you most certainly did.

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

underwater-smiles
16 Jun 2014, 23:46
I also think everyone but Toothless and Hiccup were sort of "sidelined" in, at least, the final battle. It was totally up to Hiccup and Toothless to finish off Drago and the Alpha, which really went against the themes building up throughout the movie of "teamwork! family! help one another!".
Actually- I respectully disagree in the fact that Hiccup and Toothless are a team...

back on the subject, I like Valka, flaws and all.. her priorities and fear that Stoick and Berk would never change clouded her judgement until kidnapping Hiccup...

"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I understand the realities of the business world, but the more I read this thread, the more I wish the longer version with a much darker Valka could have seen the light of day.

As for the article in question, I can't really disagree with most of it. Not so much because the way things played out wasn't feminist enough since that's a concept I don't particularly care about so long as things don't swing towards misogyny, but because there's not a lot of payoff for her character after devoting almost the entire middle section of the movie to her. In the end, taking everybody but Hiccup and Toothless out of the equation is just another point I'll add to my list of problems with all the alpha stuff.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

valkasboy
Terrible Terror

Eret
17 Jun 2014, 00:05

At the time Dean was keen to make it her choice to stay with the dragons, which worked well when she was a little more antagonistic. When she lightened up, her decision became more problematic, but thinking Hiccup was dead would have changed so many of her initial reactions, which had already been animated, that it would have been impossible to redo it all. Such is the nature of the beast.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

valkasboy
17 Jun 2014, 00:27
Eret
17 Jun 2014, 00:05

At the time Dean was keen to make it her choice to stay with the dragons, which worked well when she was a little more antagonistic. When she lightened up, her decision became more problematic, but thinking Hiccup was dead would have changed so many of her initial reactions, which had already been animated, that it would have been impossible to redo it all. Such is the nature of the beast.
OK so I understand if you can't answer this, but are final film version Valka and Drago supposed to represent two extremes of what Hiccup could have become? That's the vibe I got but I didn't know if that was intentional or just me.
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...