Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Article Claims that Valka Isn’t a Strong Female Character
Topic Started: 16 Jun 2014, 20:52 (3669 Views)
valkasboy
Terrible Terror

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
17 Jun 2014, 00:45

OK so I understand if you can't answer this, but are final film version Valka and Drago supposed to represent two extremes of what Hiccup could have become? That's the vibe I got but I didn't know if that was intentional or just me.
Yes, I thinks so, that was certainly the intention at the outset. I'm glad to hear that some of that still makes it through.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dragon Girl
Gronckle

Honestly I think Valka was a strong female character considering the amount of undeveloped female characters that have been put on the big scene for the last year or so. As for the unbalanced part it gives more room for Dreamworks to expand and us more reasons to make fan fics for possible guesses, it adds mystery!

Eret
....Son of Eret

valkasboy
17 Jun 2014, 00:27
Eret
17 Jun 2014, 00:05

What was the reasoning against making her think stoick and hiccup had died?
At the time Dean was keen to make it her choice to stay with the dragons, which worked well when she was a little more antagonistic. When she lightened up, her decision became more problematic, but thinking Hiccup was dead would have changed so many of her initial reactions, which had already been animated, that it would have been impossible to redo it all. Such is the nature of the beast.
Oh interesting. That explains a lot actually. Man... I wish she had stayed antagonistic. I can't remember where I heard it but I vaguely remember whisperings a long time ago that the movie was going to have something to do with his mom not liking the way dragons were treated on berk and hiccup was sort of torn between the two parents... or something to that affect. I dont know how true that is but I can still see a little bit of that tug-of-war kind of thing where hiccup has the duty to his dad to be chief but life exploring with his mom sounds nicer.... wish it played a bigger role as a conflict though..

chimuelo
Blacksmith Apprentice

I talked to some Dreamworks folks after the screening I watched, and they were able to justify well why the antagonistic Valka would be problematic. If an Alpha forced Toothless to kill Stoick, but Drago's Alpha didn't exist, that means that Valka would have to be responsible for Stoick's death. And that would be way too dark for any hopes of Valka reuniting with Berk.

seejanerun
"I would always rather be happy than dignified.”

I think one of Valka's main purposes within the film is to help Hiccup see past his own limited definition of his character, and see himself as the multifaceted adult he is.

Hiccup has always seen Stoick as the epitome of the single-minded, gruff war leader. But Valka elicits a softness, a tenderness in him that, even when he and Hiccup reconcile in the first film, just was not there before. To see his father let down all his defenses and put his heart in Valka's hands showed Hiccup that an aggressive leader can also be vulnerable. He didn't get to see his father show this kind of affection to his mother as he grew up, and it certainly seems like Stoick wasn't showing it to him. On the other side, when he meets his mother, he thinks she has chosen life among the dragons as a total escape from war, but when the enemy shows up on her doorstep, she is every bit the strong leader his father is.

The first film is about young Hiccup making a discovery that changes his world. This movie is about the adult Hiccup learning to see his new world--and himself--complexly, and not in the black-and-white way he saw it as an adolescent. Introducing his mother helps him understand that he is, and needs to be, many things, not just a single label or character trait.

underwater-smiles
wanna-be dragon trainer

okay so, as much as I like the idea of Valka being a good mother and a badass and all that stuff, what do you guys think she would be like/how would she have changed if she was the main antagonist? What would her motives be for the things she did? how would she go about doing all the villain-y thing she was doing?
everything is better with flower crowns!

check out my tumblr here: underwater-smiles.tumblr.com