Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Article claiming there's racism in HTTYD2
Topic Started: 16 Jun 2014, 20:43 (3340 Views)
Dragon Girl
Gronckle

He just has a bit more tan than the other characters! I would seriously like to 'talk' to the person who wrote that article. HOW DARE THEY CALL DREAMWORKS LAZY!
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Otherness (as the writer herself writes) is a common theme in literature, and extensively used by plays like Othello. The otherness itself is there, she is correct in this -- heck, she is a literature person, after all.

But the problem happens when she labels this as racist. What if the setting was where the entire cast was latino except the villain, who was white? She probably would have went "Metaphor for colonialism," etc. There is this huge double standard where if the otherness is applied such that the society created somehow resembles the society IRL (U.S. here), it's called racism and xenophobia. What a pile of Gronkle crap.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

Hope_and_Heir
16 Jun 2014, 22:11
I didn't even notice that drago was darker… and who even cares?

I mean really… this is about the most stupid httyd 2 article I've read... They're Icelandic.... And Drago was far from black… o_O and even if he was.... There's several white villains in movies too... Help us all... Just enjoy the movie...
I really don't see how Drago was black? Or even brown for that matter.

And yeah lots of movies don't make the darker guy evil.
lets see.....
Lord Farquard in Shrek (i know it's not spelled right)
Hans in Frozen (that no good, dirty, cold hearted 13th in line evil so called prince)
LOKI!!! We can not ignore the amazing Loki!!
Umm.... The Hydra guy in Captain America
The bad guy in Iron Man 3, The AIM guy who kidnapped Pepper.
All white (nit black) villans.

Ummmmmmmm i honestly can't think of very many movies where the bad guy was black. Princess and The Frog but so was the main princess and most of the main human characters.

Normally in action movies i've seen a good mix on both sides.

I honestly think the person over reacted. To me Drago didn't seem dark skinned at. Well he did but not like how they made him appear in the article. Reading the article i git this picture of Drago as an African American. But he wasn't in the movie.

I just thought he was darker because of the dragon skin cloak or something to do with him living in caves or something if he did. Like he was just covered in smoke or soot or dirt.
KentuckyWildcat
17 Jun 2014, 00:40
I think that author of that article is being just as lazy as she accuses Dean of being when throws around the racism allegation just because the villain wasn't white. Drago looking different from everyone else was never even mentioned in the movie. He was evil because of his actions and nothing else. Even then, Hiccup wanted to reason with him rather than fight him up until the very end when it became obvious he wouldn't be reasoned with. It seems as if she believes that the villain of a movie can only be white, a position which could quite frankly be labelled racist in itself.
And obvi she doesn't even realize it
I agree with you. She's picking on one tiny thing in the movie that a lot of people probably wouldn't even pay attention to.
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

ToothlessNightFury
17 Jun 2014, 04:20
Hope_and_Heir

I mean really… this is about the most stupid httyd 2 article I've read... They're Icelandic.... And Drago was far from black… o_O and even if he was.... There's several white villains in movies too... Help us all... Just enjoy the movie...
I really don't see how Drago was black? Or even brown for that matter.

And yeah lots of movies don't make the darker guy evil.
lets see.....
Lord Farquard in Shrek (i know it's not spelled right)
Hans in Frozen (that no good, dirty, cold hearted 13th in line evil so called prince)
LOKI!!! We can not ignore the amazing Loki!!
Umm.... The Hydra guy in Captain America
The bad guy in Iron Man 3, The AIM guy who kidnapped Pepper.
All white (nit black) villans.

Ummmmmmmm i honestly can't think of very many movies where the bad guy was black. Princess and The Frog but so was the main princess and most of the main human characters.

Normally in action movies i've seen a good mix on both sides.

I honestly think the person over reacted. To me Drago didn't seem dark skinned at. Well he did but not like how they made him appear in the article. Reading the article i git this picture of Drago as an African American. But he wasn't in the movie.

I just thought he was darker because of the dragon skin cloak or something to do with him living in caves or something if he did. Like he was just covered in smoke or soot or dirt.
KentuckyWildcat
17 Jun 2014, 00:40
I think that author of that article is being just as lazy as she accuses Dean of being when throws around the racism allegation just because the villain wasn't white. Drago looking different from everyone else was never even mentioned in the movie. He was evil because of his actions and nothing else. Even then, Hiccup wanted to reason with him rather than fight him up until the very end when it became obvious he wouldn't be reasoned with. It seems as if she believes that the villain of a movie can only be white, a position which could quite frankly be labelled racist in itself.
And obvi she doesn't even realize it
I agree with you. She's picking on one tiny thing in the movie that a lot of people probably wouldn't even pay attention to.
You're right. It looked as if he had a slight tan and some dirt on his face, but that was it. Some people are just so idiotic. They just want to start something.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

this is just a bunch of shit....
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

CityCreek

[color=blue]You're all Big Baby Boos. <3
[/color]

Well considering the scene where Drago protects himself from the fire, I'd assume he'd be pretty scorched over time.

Also doesn't look like he's washed in a while. XD
(( *NEW* Skype - Whitecitycreek))
(Toothless gettin real tired of your sh*t Hiccup)

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

underwater-smiles
16 Jun 2014, 23:57
Hope_and_Heir

MissunyNightFury
16 Jun 2014, 23:29
I like how people are making up problems that don't exist.
people are so desperate to find things wrong with movies that do so well. It's funny in a desperate sort of way.
Do people not realize that people from the Icelandic region are white? That's not racism. That's simple facts. people really need to find better things to do with their time, god.
I agree, it seems like they hate how successful the movie is, so they try to come up with something to hurt it. People are always looking for problems just to get attention.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Seriously?? Drago as a a black guy? Was she wearing sunglasses while watching the movie? We should write a letter to this lady, I find her article really offensive and unjust. She should delete it, it's sooo pathetic:-z
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Yeah I didn't think Drago looked black. Even if he was, so what?

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

CityCreek
17 Jun 2014, 12:44
Well considering the scene where Drago protects himself from the fire, I'd assume he'd be pretty scorched over time.

Also doesn't look like he's washed in a while. XD
Exactly! (no wonder the dragons didn't like him he probably smelled like he hasn't washed in a while too :P )

Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney