Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Article claiming there's racism in HTTYD2
Topic Started: 18 Jun 2014, 12:19 (3342 Views)
MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

Do people think Drago is black because of his dreadlocks? Tuff has them too, and I don't see anyone getting upset over that.

Drago looks like he's from an area between Russia and Mongolia.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Not to mention the fact that he has a Slavic name and yeah.... There are not too many black persons in Croatia/Serbia.
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Yeah I thought with a name like Drago Bludvist, he was Slavic. It certainly isn't an African name.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

Berserk Shieldmaiden
18 Jun 2014, 22:39
Yeah I thought with a name like Drago Bludvist, he was Slavic. It certainly isn't an African name.
I'm sorry to ask this, but what is Slavic?
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

The Slavs are an ethnolinguistic group mostly associated with Central/Eastern Europe and Central Asia. In simpler terms, think Russian, etc.

The article does correctly point out that, judging by the name, the character sounds Eastern European; but then that train of thought gets cut off, and Drago suddenly becomes "black."
Σ (a sigma-ture)

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

When I read that article I could only feel sorry that that was all he was paying attention too in this great movie

HaddocksOrTails
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I wrote Croatian / Serbian for a reason, because they actually use that name. They live more to the south and their and because of that, naturally, their skin is darker than a northern European's skin.
https://www.fanfiction.net/~haddocksortails

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Berserk Shieldmaiden
17 Jun 2014, 23:08
Yeah I didn't think Drago looked black. Even if he was, so what?
His skin I think was just a darker (mainly from dragon fire) white color. I mean I don't understand what this lady was thinking but whatever. And any ways whats wrong with having a POC (not that I'm saying Drago's a POC because he isn't) as a villain?

You don't see white people bitch about white people being villains so saying that POC's as villains is horrible is stupid.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

HideousZippleback
20 Jun 2014, 21:57
Berserk Shieldmaiden
17 Jun 2014, 23:08
Yeah I didn't think Drago looked black. Even if he was, so what?
His skin I think was just a darker (mainly from dragon fire) white color. I mean I don't understand what this lady was thinking but whatever. And any ways whats wrong with having a POC (not that I'm saying Drago's a POC because he isn't) as a villain?

You don't see white people bitch about white people being villains so saying that POC's as villains is horrible is stupid.
To me, he looked like he came from some place between Russia and Mongolia. Just because he has dreadlocks and is played by a black actor doesn't make him black.