Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Article claiming there's racism in HTTYD2
Topic Started: 16 Jun 2014, 17:51 (3341 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Article

Seriously, cant people just enjoy the movie?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

Is Drago really non-white or is that just the assumption because his voice actor is African American?
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

I didn't even notice that drago was darker… and who even cares?

I mean really… this is about the most stupid httyd 2 article I've read... They're Icelandic.... And Drago was far from black… o_O and even if he was.... There's several white villains in movies too... Help us all... Just enjoy the movie...
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Commented.

"America has become so concerned with political correctness that now it just likes to fire a bunch of BS false positives. Eradicate the KKK and the WBC first."

EDIT: For some reason, my comment isn't showing on my side. Ah well.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

I like how people are making up problems that don't exist.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

MissunyNightFury
16 Jun 2014, 23:29
I know right? Some people need to get a life.

underwater-smiles
wanna-be dragon trainer

Hope_and_Heir
16 Jun 2014, 22:11
I didn't even notice that drago was darker… and who even cares?

I mean really… this is about the most stupid httyd 2 article I've read... They're Icelandic.... And Drago was far from black… o_O and even if he was.... There's several white villains in movies too... Help us all... Just enjoy the movie...
MissunyNightFury
16 Jun 2014, 23:29
people are so desperate to find things wrong with movies that do so well. It's funny in a desperate sort of way.
Do people not realize that people from the Icelandic region are white? That's not racism. That's simple facts. people really need to find better things to do with their time, god.
everything is better with flower crowns!

check out my tumblr here: underwater-smiles.tumblr.com

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

To me, it seems like every time a villain is a different race than the other characters people say it's racism. That's what happens at my school, anyway- someone's reading a book/watching something and the main villain is African American while the protagonist is white (there are a multitude of situations, that's just one that popped to mind because of this situation) or the other way around or whatever, and someone will say "That's so racist." I hate when people do it at school, and it's sad to see that adults (my friends are 13 and 14 year olds) are doing it as well.

Also, a question- the movie never specified where Drago was from, did it? I just remember Stoick or someone else saying he was from a "faraway land" or something. So people shouldn't make assumptions like this one.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I think that author of that article is being just as lazy as she accuses Dean of being when throws around the racism allegation just because the villain wasn't white. Drago looking different from everyone else was never even mentioned in the movie. He was evil because of his actions and nothing else. Even then, Hiccup wanted to reason with him rather than fight him up until the very end when it became obvious he wouldn't be reasoned with. It seems as if she believes that the villain of a movie can only be white, a position which could quite frankly be labelled racist in itself.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

Whitefang
17 Jun 2014, 00:02
To me, it seems like every time a villain is a different race than the other characters people say it's racism. That's what happens at my school, anyway- someone's reading a book/watching something and the main villain is African American while the protagonist is white (there are a multitude of situations, that's just one that popped to mind because of this situation) or the other way around or whatever, and someone will say "That's so racist." I hate when people do it at school, and it's sad to see that adults (my friends are 13 and 14 year olds) are doing it as well.

Also, a question- the movie never specified where Drago was from, did it? I just remember Stoick or someone else saying he was from a "faraway land" or something. So people shouldn't make assumptions like this one.
The problem is that often times, that DOES happen and it IS an issue, but you just can't start hurling accusations at every perceived injustice and hope it sticks in the craw of public opinion.
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...