Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 16 Jun 2014, 21:08 (13984 Views)
Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

Just wanted to start a discussion to speculate as to why dragons 2 opened with weaker than expected revenues. It came in at $50 million for domestic sales, $15 million short of the projected $65 million.

Some analysts say it was because the sequel came too late after the first (4 years instead of the usual 2-3). Others say because parents got the message that it was dark, sad, and scary and decided to not risk having their kids traumatized. Another theory, which I would really hate to be true, is because this film wasn't made or marketed to bring the funny which is what some people only care about.

Perhaps 22 Jump Street just took too much of the available prospective movie patrons. I really hope that would be the case so it would get a boost next weekend, but some argue that 22 Jump Street should have had little adverse effect on HTTYD 2 revenue since it targets an entirely different 'rated R demographic'.

What do you guys think? Feel free to share some of your own box office projections for the coming weeks.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Oneill5491
17 Jun 2014, 01:08
[...] Perhaps 22 Jump Street just took too much of the available prospective movie patrons. I really hope that would be the case so it would get a boost next weekend, but some argue that 22 Jump Street should have had little adverse effect on HTTYD 2 revenue since it targets an entirely different 'rated R demographic'. [...]
I imagine most adults would rather see a film aimed at them than a family film aimed at younger audiences. It's interesting to note that Frozen waited until the week after THG: Catching Fire hit cinemas.

Hic626
Terrible Terror

Well, 22 Jump Street took $60million so there is your reason; forget any other explanation, it drained a lot of potential audience. Comedies don't stay at the top of the box office long so I expect that next week HTTYD2 will be first, animated films have longevity.

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Weirdly enough, I am in that "rated R demographic" but I was just as inclined to watch HTTYD2 as I was to, say, Rush or This is the End. So there has to be an intersection somewhere.

Plus, R (annoyingly enough) doesn't necessarily prevent under-17 people from seeing the movie in U.S., so there's that too.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

No even the critics from RT and Metacritic are in the mood to watch the movie...

I just feel so sad for Dragons 2.
"Pain... love it."

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

I could also be because of the many early screenings. Many potential opening-weekend-visitors have already seen it and it's not in the box office, yet.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Zer0x
17 Jun 2014, 03:56
I could also be because of the many early screenings. Many potential opening-weekend-visitors have already seen it and it's not in the box office, yet.
When will those figures be incorporated? It looks like they've started tallying non-U.S. earnings from advanced screenings.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

Remember that while HTTYD 2 lost to Jump Street domestically, it still beat Jump Street outside of North America ($26,100,000 to Jump Street's $20,600,000). And this is before it's opened in some big markets, so. I just remember how people were declaring the first one a flop after the first week, and then it ended up being huge. Opening weekends don't mean everything, keep your hopes up and keep encouraging people to go. ;)

(One of the things that really helped HTTYD was how often people went for multiple viewings. I think this film has this going for it as well -- I've seen it twice already myself, and I've heard a lot of talk about people going back. Comedies like 22 Jump Street don't tend to get as much in terms of people paying to see the film again.)

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

micromys
17 Jun 2014, 04:32

(One of the things that really helped HTTYD was how often people went for multiple viewings. I think this film has this going for it as well -- I've seen it twice already myself, and I've heard a lot of talk about people going back. Comedies like 22 Jump Street don't tend to get as much in terms of people paying to see the film again.)
I just saw HTTYD2 the third time this afternoon... and planning to again in another few days... this film has me coming back for more..
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

Astrid
Gronckle

Personnally I have many reasons:

-It's the sequel of an underground hit, until now if you ask people if they know httyd I think there is going to be a LOT of people who doesn't know it and is discovering the franchise for the first time, I mean look among yourselves, in the fandom, many of us came way after the 1st movie was released.

-It's 4 years after the 1st one, so yeah certainly not many people remember.

-It came out in father's day weekend, now idk how americans celebrate this but in the different places I've lived this is a day you spend with your families and you don't really go to the cinema, you go outdoors or just do other activities... (or generally kind of do what the father in the family wants and watching a movie might not be what they want to do in their day)

-because this kind of story might be too complex for the average american taste (there I said it, deal with it)

-because it might not be as good as you think (oh I can already see people calling me a hater)

-because they don't release it simultaneously in the biggest markets, I think people should start to understand that the "buzz" about something is no longer at a national level but on a global scale.

-because I believe it's summer vacations and people might have thought already in travelling somewhere and just thought about watching the movie later in the summer

Also I believe this movie will be a hit overseas but not in the US, sad to say but I feel this kind of story telling and animation is much more appreciated overseas than in the US.

Also chill people really, it would do good or it will do bad only time will say, if you want to help talk about it and go watch it whenever you are in the mood.