Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 17 Jun 2014, 03:38 (14368 Views)
ViridianVenus
Dragon Egg

in 3 days it made back 1/3 of its production cost and it's not even out everywhere yet. It's going to be a hit, relax.

I work in retail and whenever customers with kids came up to my register i started pimping the movie out hardcore. I got at least 2 families interested. I also went for the third time tonight. It'll def be getting its money-worth from me.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

CityCreek

[color=blue]You're all Big Baby Boos. <3
[/color]

Astrid
17 Jun 2014, 05:47
Personnally I have many reasons:

-It's the sequel of an underground hit, until now if you ask people if they know httyd I think there is going to be a LOT of people who doesn't know it and is discovering the franchise for the first time, I mean look among yourselves, in the fandom, many of us came way after the 1st movie was released.

-It's 4 years after the 1st one, so yeah certainly not many people remember.

-It came out in father's day weekend, now idk how americans celebrate this but in the different places I've lived this is a day you spend with your families and you don't really go to the cinema, you go outdoors or just do other activities... (or generally kind of do what the father in the family wants and watching a movie might not be what they want to do in their day)

-because this kind of story might be too complex for the average american taste (there I said it, deal with it)

-because it might not be as good as you think (oh I can already see people calling me a hater)

-because they don't release it simultaneously in the biggest markets, I think people should start to understand that the "buzz" about something is no longer at a national level but on a global scale.

-because I believe it's summer vacations and people might have thought already in travelling somewhere and just thought about watching the movie later in the summer

Also I believe this movie will be a hit overseas but not in the US, sad to say but I feel this kind of story telling and animation is much more appreciated overseas than in the US.

Also chill people really, it would do good or it will do bad only time will say, if you want to help talk about it and go watch it whenever you are in the mood.

I agree with you with the overseas theory.
I drove three hours just to see it, the cinema was pretty quiet though despite it being the first Imax screening in the country! It was really disappointing.
Give it time, I'm confident that it'll be a huge hit. :'D
(( *NEW* Skype - Whitecitycreek))
(Toothless gettin real tired of your sh*t Hiccup)

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Astrid

-It's the sequel of an underground hit, until now if you ask people if they know httyd I think there is going to be a LOT of people who doesn't know it and is discovering the franchise for the first time, I mean look among yourselves, in the fandom, many of us came way after the 1st movie was released.

-It came out in father's day weekend, now idk how americans celebrate this but in the different places I've lived this is a day you spend with your families and you don't really go to the cinema, you go outdoors or just do other activities... (or generally kind of do what the father in the family wants and watching a movie might not be what they want to do in their day)

-because this kind of story might be too complex for the average american taste (there I said it, deal with it)

-because it might not be as good as you think (oh I can already see people calling me a hater)

-because they don't release it simultaneously in the biggest markets, I think people should start to understand that the "buzz" about something is no longer at a national level but on a global scale.

-because I believe it's summer vacations and people might have thought already in travelling somewhere and just thought about watching the movie later in the summer

Also I believe this movie will be a hit overseas but not in the US, sad to say but I feel this kind of story telling and animation is much more appreciated overseas than in the US.

Also chill people really, it would do good or it will do bad only time will say, if you want to help talk about it and go watch it whenever you are in the mood.
Haters gonna hate! XD

But really, I mostly agree with you, you've made a lot of good points!
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

I would say give it a little time. Remember when httyd1 came out, it didn't do good the first couple of weekends, then it really took off.
I think it will pick up, just like the first movie.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

Zer0x
17 Jun 2014, 03:56
I could also be because of the many early screenings. Many potential opening-weekend-visitors have already seen it and it's not in the box office, yet.
I second that :ermm:

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Astrid

1. Maybe the first movie was an underground hit, but the second is probably the most promoted movie in the last 4 years (in the USA).

2. A 4 years gap with 3 shorts, a live show, 2 seasons of a series andseveral world wide events (Dragons on Ice, Royal Carribean, etc.).

3. Even on fathers day I don't think that many people will celebrate this the whole night. And a visit in a cinema is also a typical family activity.

4. In my opinion it is a typical american story.

5. But you don't know that before you watch it for the first time and I don't think that there are many people who wanted to see it multiple times on the first weekend.

6. The opening weekend box office counts only the earned money from domestic cinemas. And around the world were many early screenings, many foreign people saw it on the same weekend.

7. Agreed.

8. Try to find someone in germany who thinks animated movies are not kids movies.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Astrid
Gronckle

Zer0x
17 Jun 2014, 08:48
Astrid

1. Maybe the first movie was an underground hit, but the second is probably the most promoted movie in the last 4 years (in the USA).

2. A 4 years gap with 3 shorts, a live show, 2 seasons of a series andseveral world wide events (Dragons on Ice, Royal Carribean, etc.).

3. Even on fathers day I don't think that many people will celebrate this the whole night. And a visit in a cinema is also a typical family activity.

4. In my opinion it is a typical american story.

5. But you don't know that before you watch it for the first time and I don't think that there are many people who wanted to see it multiple times on the first weekend.

6. The opening weekend box office counts only the earned money from domestic cinemas. And around the world were many early screenings, many foreign people saw it on the same weekend.

7. Agreed.

8. Try to find someone in germany who thinks animated movies are not kids movies.

1- According to who? Source please because I don't see how this has been more promoted than the marvel movies or other movies with a fandom

2- shorts and series that are well know in the fandom or kids but I don't think they might had get the attention of a wide range of people, live shows and world wide events may had grasped a lot more attention from the average joe

3- it can be a family activity but idk if in America there is a special way to celebrate that day that might not involve going to the cinema

4- ok

5- ok

6-around the world the people who saw it were the people who were already interested in the movie and also kind of "can't wait anymore" aka part of the fandom (I include here families with kids that are part of the fandom), so this means it was already the people who knew about the movie and that was already the people who were "promoting" it by talking about it, it's not your average joe who went to an early screening. Perhaps the exceptions are the countries were it was officially released

7-ok

8- really?! You are 80-81 M and you say there is none, please.. But we can look at those who work in animation or even anime fans, I'm sure there is some out there, hell zer0x you might be the perfect example

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

Well, it's just the first week. So you might not have worry that fast.

But there's a trend that got me worried about how HTTYD2 will perform in the box office in the long-term. This summer, in the US, it seems that there's a trend where movies that opened in summer will drop in box office for over 50% in the second week. If that stands true for 22 Street and not HTTYD2, of course I'll be happy. But if HTTYD2 falls into the trend, then the possibilities of the movie to ever to beat 22 Jump Street in the box office would decrease.

Edit: It happened, the movie's box office numbers dropped 60% on Monday. Though is not a weekend, is cleared that movies have a trend of dropping box office numbers once they reached week two.
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

Wall of quotes.
1-This movie really has been advertised a load. They mostly achieved this through online campaigns. We have Toothless Tuesday when we get a new clip or featurette. Whenever Throwback Thursday pops up, there's a new article on the Dragonpedia. Not to mention the ALL the TV Spots. But it might not be the most promoted movie but to blame an average start on bad advertising doesn't work here.

2-The series is popular with people. It was certainly successful! It's been picked up by Netflix and all :D
Plus, Toothless had become famous enough for a balloon in the Macy's Day Parade. I would've thought that was a pretty high honour? Whether people remember or not, people know the franchise!
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.

Skywalker
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Personally think it is a few things, but one thing that didn't really have that much of an impact was 22 Jump Street. Completely different demographics. Also I wouldn't be citing a saturation point, as this same weekend last year did almost $20m more.

1. As much as I and everyone here loves the first film, it doesn't mean general audiences held it in their hearts in quite the same way. It was a fantastic film, but it lacked the impact of a Frozen, Finding Nemo, Despicable Me or a Toy Story 3.

2. The 4 year gap is a real issue, especially with a film that skews pretty young.

3. Perhaps the World Cup had more of an impact in the US this year then many predicted. That would effect mornings and early evening, where night, when a film like 22 Jump Street would be pulling its crowds, would be wide open.