Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 17 Jun 2014, 11:11 (14276 Views)
Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

Skywalker
17 Jun 2014, 14:59
Perhaps the World Cup had more of an impact in the US this year then many predicted. That would effect mornings and early evening, where night, when a film like 22 Jump Street would be pulling its crowds, would be wide open.
AH!
You raise an interesting point there!
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

Faerie_Dragon
17 Jun 2014, 15:11
Skywalker
17 Jun 2014, 14:59
Perhaps the World Cup had more of an impact in the US this year then many predicted. That would effect mornings and early evening, where night, when a film like 22 Jump Street would be pulling its crowds, would be wide open.
AH!
You raise an interesting point there!
That is an interesting point… I know that if Italy's playing, my family just sit in front of the TV and basically don't move for the entire game (and scream at every goal). It could be that watching the games has kept people busy during the day. And, like Skywalker said, some people might then go see 22 Jump Street at night.
I think it's way too early to judge whether this movie is a failure at the box office because it hasn't even been released in some other countries yet. But that's my opinion.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Skywalker
Member Avatar
Hatchling

The film is not a failure domestically. It is simply a bit disappointing considering the great reaction to the first film. But it is a family film that skews young and thus it could have some great legs. And as you pointed it, hasn't open in the vast amount of oversea markets. Still plenty of money to be made.

On the World Cup, I can only talk on personal experience, but friends and family have been really into it this time around. Far more then I can remember in the past. I myself am a big football fan, and thus didn't find a hole in my schedule until Sunday to see the film.

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Well, just got back from the weekly preschool play date, and it was as I feared it might be . . . most of the mom's had heard that HTTYD2 was scary and dark. We were the only ones that had been to see it, and after telling them we had, the first question was always "I heard it is dark/scary/sad/traumatic."

I think DW did themselves no favors by continually referring to it as "dark" in the promo stuff. The message seems to have been received loud and clear and now mom's are hesitant to take younger kids to go see it. I admit that US parents can tend towards the over-protective, and it seems to be playing a big factor here.

Personally, I don't think it was any worse than Lion King or the first 5 minutes of UP, which are beloved by many. But I don't recall either of them being promoted as "Dark". While that description may have been useful in bringing in some older viewers, I worry it may have backfired and turned off some of the young audience (or their parents) they probably thought they had in the bag.

If I were DW, I would be reaching out to any mommy blogger I could find and try to change the narrative that HTTYD2 is NOT scary/traumatic/etc. If makes me worry for the "legs" of the movie if they cannot get it turned around.

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

some people were protesting at the local theater because of gobber

CityCreek

[color=blue]You're all Big Baby Boos. <3
[/color]

chupacabra
17 Jun 2014, 18:58
Oh my God what? O_O What were they saying?
(( *NEW* Skype - Whitecitycreek))
(Toothless gettin real tired of your sh*t Hiccup)

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

CityCreek
17 Jun 2014, 19:05
chupacabra
Oh my God what? O_O What were they saying?
typical homophobe stuff

Eret
....Son of Eret

chupacabra

wtfdfsdfkgjfdgkelke this cannot be real holy crap some people need to be booted off this planet

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

Eret
17 Jun 2014, 19:13
chupacabra

wtfdfsdfkgjfdgkelke this cannot be real holy crap some people need to be booted off this planet
Over the "and one other reason line.." and something that's NOT central to the plot... fools..
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Remember HTTYD2 wasn't released in many countries so that might have been one reason also...