Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 17 Jun 2014, 16:04 (14359 Views)
KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Quote:

Rocky Rose,(time=1403032571)
Over the "and one other reason line.." and something that's NOT central to the plot... fools..
You sort of have to blame Dean and DreamWorks for any controversy surrounding that. It's just one line that isn't central to the plot, but they made quite a big deal about it in some of the press releases and interviews leading up to the release. Otherwise, I'd doubt many people would have noticed if anyone did at all.

As for my own theory as to why the returns weren't as big as expected, I really think the marketing might have whiffed a bit. There was talk about the movie being darker and scarier which may have chased off families with young children. At the same time however, most of the advertisements I noticed seemed to really emphasize the more lighthearted elements in such a way that I couldn't really see it drawing in too many moviegoers who were looking for a more serious fantasy epic. In short, I'm thinking the somewhat bi-polar marketing may have done a poor job at appealing to anyone who wasn't a pretty big fan of the first movie.

That being said, a $50 million domestic opening is no flop by any stretch. I think the long-term numbers will be fine even if no records are likely to be broken.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

HideousZippleback
17 Jun 2014, 19:20
Remember HTTYD2 wasn't released in many countries so that might have been one reason also...
Opening weekends are only determined by the domestic market

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

Zer0x
17 Jun 2014, 03:56
I could also be because of the many early screenings. Many potential opening-weekend-visitors have already seen it and it's not in the box office, yet.
THIS.

From day 4 to 13 it had too many advanced screening. There was people that watched them more than 3 times. And there's some that watched it once and simply said "Can't wait for the DVD". Also, I don't like how people were going back and forth to see the movie.

In Australia, DreamWork give TWO weeks of previews, but thankfully, they are charging for it. As a result, the film already has earned $5 million in Australia, and the movie is only out officially on 19th.

-_-
"Pain... love it."

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Sabrina
18 Jun 2014, 02:11
[...] In Australia, DreamWork give TWO weeks of previews, but thankfully, they are charging for it. [...]
Well... two weekends, or eight days. Are you suggesting that most of the American advanced screening sessions were free?

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

- The 'gay' thing.
I know it's stupid people caring about it, but THEY CARE. There's a reason why Disney is watched by EVERYONE. They stay alway from this. DW expel Christian families is NEVER a good idea. yeah. It's a dark movie, but it is still for kids. They will make a BIG DEAL about it. And they certainly will start spreading it. Saying that this film brings a bad influence for kids. It's like losing 1/3 of the audience. And I'm even scared of what might happen with the third film.

- Too many advanced screenings.
What DreamWorks wanted with it? At least make people pay if they want to watch it more than once.

- Tattos.
Too many tattoos. Even if a Christian is watching the movie and don't know about the gay thing... They're not going to re-watch it because of the tattoos in Eret's face.

- Too 'dark'.
DreamWorks wants to make a revolution. Nice. BUT. Looks like they expel the kids as well because it is too dark for them.
I've seen a girl (I wanted to kill this girl) saying to a mother to not watch it with her son because it is too dark for him.
"Pain... love it."

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

puxlit
18 Jun 2014, 02:31
Sabrina
18 Jun 2014, 02:11
[...] In Australia, DreamWork give TWO weeks of previews, but thankfully, they are charging for it. [...]
Well... two weekends, or eight days. Are you suggesting that most of the American advanced screening sessions were free?
Yeah, but still unnecessary.
I don't know if most of them were "free". But some people did not pay for the ticket. And even took the opportunity to go watch more often. :ermm:
"Pain... love it."

Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

I think the advance screenings have little to do with it. Despicable Me 2 was giving out a crap ton of screening passes and still made a killing.

On another theory, I wonder if the Valka spoiler revealed in the trailers had an impact. Did it deter people from going since they felt they were given too much info up front and did it forfeit the opportunity to surprise a lot of people enough to stir up more chatter about the film?

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

KentuckyWildcat,(time=1403035471)You sort of have to blame Dean and DreamWorks for any controversy surrounding that. It's just one line that isn't central to the plot, but they made quite a big deal about it in some of the press releases and interviews leading up to the release. Otherwise, I'd doubt many people would have noticed if anyone did at all.[/quote

True, with the media attention that line got, it probably made some people think it was going to be a bigger deal.

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

I'm betting that as time goes on, the box office will rise too,

The movie only just recently came out

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

Asvald Veleif
18 Jun 2014, 06:45
I'm betting that as time goes on, the box office will rise too,

The movie only just recently came out
That I might not agree with. Did you see the trend this summer? Movies tend to drop in box office numbers in the second week, and if HTTYD2 falls to the trend, it might not be able to earn more domestically in the US.
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.