Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 18 Jun 2014, 17:19 (14373 Views)
Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Berserk Shieldmaiden
18 Jun 2014, 06:15
KentuckyWildcat,(time=1403035471)You sort of have to blame Dean and DreamWorks for any controversy surrounding that. It's just one line that isn't central to the plot, but they made quite a big deal about it in some of the press releases and interviews leading up to the release. Otherwise, I'd doubt many people would have noticed if anyone did at all.[/quote

True, with the media attention that line got, it probably made some people think it was going to be a bigger deal.
Spoiler: click to toggle
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

ToothlessWorship
Gronckle

They did a lot of things completely wrong. The bad marketing showing a lot of the movie, saying that is funny (a lot of funny gags) but DARK film. They should put the premiere the same day in ALL the world, and talking less about the movie.
Don't talk about the gay thing until the people see the film preventing the homophobia; now a lot of homphobes will damage the future "How to train your dragon 2" views

Probably it would have a lot more views at the theaters
HTTYD forever

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Just got back from a 1:00 PM showing. I think maybe 24-25 in the theater, which is not horrible considering it is a town of only 10,000 with a 2 screen theater on a Thursday. But it could have been better.

I still feel it has problems with Mom's thinking it is too dark/scary. I really hope word of mouth can try to change that, as it is repeated viewings, usually by kids, that really tend to give movies their legs.

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

ToothlessWorship
19 Jun 2014, 18:30
They did a lot of things completely wrong. The bad marketing showing a lot of the movie, saying that is funny (a lot of funny gags) but DARK film. They should put the premiere the same day in ALL the world, and talking less about the movie.
Don't talk about the gay thing until the people see the film preventing the homophobia; now a lot of homphobes will damage the future "How to train your dragon 2" views

THIS
And it will damage the future "How to train your dragon 3" views as well.
"Pain... love it."

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Sabrina
18 Jun 2014, 02:11
In Australia, DreamWork give TWO weeks of previews...
You think that's bad?! In the UK there are previews running from the 15th up until the 11th (being the new release date, which was pushed back for whatever reason)
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Lady DragonKeeper
Hatchling

I saw the 3D version on Thursday, the 12th. I didn't think it counted as an advanced screening because it would be midnight on the East Coast of the US ... It was my first time to a movie premiere, and I was surprised that the theater was only 1/4th full ... only a couple of kids and a handful of adults ... I guess it sort of made sense, since this wasn't "Harry Potter", "Star Wars" or "The Hunger Games" --but I still was expecting/hoping there'd be more people ...

This whole situation sort of reminds me of "The Chronicles of Narnia" movies ... "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" premiered in December 2005[?] and did well. The holiday season worked for the movie (set in winter/Christmas). In 2008, Disney/Walden had high hopes for the sequel "Prince Caspian" --it released in the "summer season" and I remember it being marketed as being darker, more action-packed, etc. as it's sequel (though still PG). It did not perform as well as expectations, making about 55 million domestically, when they were expecting 80 million.

Article on Prince Caspian opening

I keep seeing parallels to the HtTYD movies. HtTYD opened in spring 2010, not summer. Obviously, the expectations were high for HtTYD2 at DreamWorks, otherwise it wouldn't have released in the summer blockbuster time period. It also was sort of marketed as being darker than the first. Is it possible that both these movies ("Prince Caspian" and HtTYD2) shouldn't have been released in the summer? Or at least, would perform better at another season? While Father's Day weekend was a kind of ironic and apropos time to release HtTYD2, I think the November/December holiday season would have worked well also (similar to Frozen's release date?) HtTYD2 also has a lot of ice and snow ... =) Especially with the Transformers sequel and other movies coming out ... Summer is SO competitive and if HtTYD2 couldn't beat an R-rated comedy domestically ... I don't know.

I definitely don't disagree that the story was more intense --yes, the Lion King would probably be a good comparison, but honestly, even as a huge HtTYD fan, I know a couple of 3 and 5 year old kids who love the first film and I would caution (that is, give them a heads up on what happens in the film) their parents on letting them see HtTYD2, not because of
And at the very least, if they did see it, I would hope these parents are talking to their children about what went on, what they saw, etc.

I don't disagree with way the story and film turned out --I think it's awesome that it was an animated film that I could watch and enjoy without it feeling super juvenile or enduring very "adult" humor/content (sorry, just not my cup of tea). There still is a stigma of animated films being just "for kids" ... HtTYD2 breaks that stereotype, IMHO, but did it hurt them? I don't know ...

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

mr.k.c.w.
18 Jun 2014, 06:54

That I might not agree with. Did you see the trend this summer? Movies tend to drop in box office numbers in the second week, and if HTTYD2 falls to the trend, it might not be able to earn more domestically in the US.
Who knows, just my opinion :ermm:

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!

CityCreek

[color=blue]You're all Big Baby Boos. <3
[/color]

Apparently How to Train your Dragon 2 has made over 100 million internationally in the past 6 days! I think that's quite an achievement, correct me if I'm wrong.
(( *NEW* Skype - Whitecitycreek))
(Toothless gettin real tired of your sh*t Hiccup)

ToothlessWorship
Gronckle

Sabrina
19 Jun 2014, 20:54
ToothlessWorship
19 Jun 2014, 18:30

THIS
And it will damage the future "How to train your dragon 3" views as well.
At least I expect we can see HTTYD3 and not to cancell it because the low views in the second movie...
HTTYD forever

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

ViridianVenus
17 Jun 2014, 07:38
in 3 days it made back 1/3 of its production cost and it's not even out everywhere yet. It's going to be a hit, relax.
Don't forget to add ~$300,000,000 to the (not announced) production budget for advertisement.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..