Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 26 Jun 2014, 17:18 (14282 Views)
Lastandir
Gronckle

DarthBacon
26 Jun 2014, 16:19
Exactly! I honestly dont know what went wrong. They do almost everything right, and now its failing in the box office? Sometimes i feel people are so unfair to HTTYD...first getting cheated in the oscars, and now this...
When they showed the trailer for the second part, I had the feeling that very few people care about that. But when they showed the trailer for "Pinguins of Madagascar"... Completely different reaction.
I am afraid that most people want funny and cool animated movies. The movie which tries to give the impression of a more serious... I think a lot of people was afraid about HTTYD2. Too dark for children, not enough funny for mature people.

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

micromys
Cathartes Aura

It took first place again yesterday - "For the first time since Father's Day (and second overall), Fox/DreamWorks' How to Train Your Dragon 2 claimed first place as it posted $3.52 million yesterday for a strong 26 percent week-to-week decline. The animated sequel's tally is now $105.6 million, on par with the first film's $104.7 million haul through the same point."

Eret
....Son of Eret

Oh good news! I'm glad it got first yesterday at least, since that was probably its last chance now that transformers comes out tonight/tomorrow

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Stupid thing is, a boy in my grade said he was 'a fan', and when I asked him when he was going to watch HTTYD 2, he didn't even know there was one.

I think it's the lack of advertising Dreamworks gave it overseas. My friends only knew because I knew, and I only knew because of these sites.

So, Dreamworks, please, for HTTYD 3, start advertising somewhere OVERSEAS too.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I have a friend who's a performing theater musician--he performed in America and everybody laughed at the funny parts. They enjoyed the music, too.

Then he went down to perform in Brazil. Everybody loved the music. Nobody laughed at the funny parts, even those who understood English.

Some of the filmmakers I know make inexpensive action films and take them to AFM. There they bypass the American theaters altogether and sell them to distributors in Eastern Europe and Japan.

America is not the world. Dreamworks is now operating under an international strategy. Right now foreign box office is at 80 million and it hasn't even opened in Europe yet :: comforts European friends :: nor has it in Japan. Or China (I believe--can't get to boxofficemojo right now) In Russia, it's made 12 million dollars.

How is it failing at the box office??

Repeat to yourselves-- "I will not be a typical American xenophobic snob. I will not be a typical American xenophobic snob....."
Lastandir
26 Jun 2014, 21:18
DarthBacon
26 Jun 2014, 16:19
Exactly! I honestly dont know what went wrong. They do almost everything right, and now its failing in the box office? Sometimes i feel people are so unfair to HTTYD...first getting cheated in the oscars, and now this...
When they showed the trailer for the second part, I had the feeling that very few people care about that. But when they showed the trailer for "Pinguins of Madagascar"... Completely different reaction.
I am afraid that most people want funny and cool animated movies. The movie which tries to give the impression of a more serious... I think a lot of people was afraid about HTTYD2. Too dark for children, not enough funny for mature people.

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Name calling aside, I think anybody that is already ready to call it a flop is premature. That being said, it is doing far less well that was predicted in the US market. Most predictions had it beating 22 Jump Street, with a few thinking it could be the highest grossing of the whole summer. $50 million opening weekend is nothing to sneeze at, but most were expecting $65 Million. It was enough of a disappointing start to send DW stock down.

I personally hope the rest of the world helps makes HTTYD2 profitable, it is a shame US audiences are not supporting it as they should. But looking at HTTYD, the original made $217 Million in the US market. Next closest was United Kingdom with $26.5 Million. The US market made up 44% of the total box office revenues, so it noteworthy when the sequel does not do well in that market.

Hopefully HTTYD2 will be more like a Croods or Turbo, which would put the US total at closer to 30% of Total Revenues (Peabody & Sherman, the most recent, was 41%). Either way, when you are looking at potentially a third or more of a movies total revenues coming out of a single market, it makes you take notice when it starts out under-performing.

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

WasBornCrazy
26 Jun 2014, 22:59
Stupid thing is, a boy in my grade said he was 'a fan', and when I asked him when he was going to watch HTTYD 2, he didn't even know there was one.

I think it's the lack of advertising Dreamworks gave it overseas. My friends only knew because I knew, and I only knew because of these sites.

So, Dreamworks, please, for HTTYD 3, start advertising somewhere OVERSEAS too.
Something worse happened to me. I guy just said that he is a HUGE fan of the first movie, but is not interested in watching the sequel. :blink:

Sincerely, is that what you call a huge fan? One of my close friends, wasn't a fan of the first movie, but he wants to watch the sequel.

It makes no sense.
"Pain... love it."

Unitedmoviemaker
"Film Creator"

Sabrina
27 Jun 2014, 01:24
Something worse happened to me. I guy just said that he is a HUGE fan of the first movie, but is not interested in watching the sequel. :blink:

Sincerely, is that what you call a huge fan? One of my close friends, wasn't a fan of the first movie, but he wants to watch the sequel.

It makes no sense.
I can sorta understand that (maybe they like more of the action side of things) and at the same time, I can't. ^o)

DW did their best to get the fans hyped up for it. So, it's not like they didn't try. You can also say the same (more or less) for their advertising campaign.
A "The Night Fury's Den Fourm" Veteran

I'm on Tumblr and Fanfic! (Cool, huh? :P)

Eret
....Son of Eret

recognizing that the US is the biggest film market in the world and being worried that its not doing as well domestically as even the most pessimistic naysayers predicted does not an american xenophobic snob make..................................................

by the way, absolutely nobody is calling this movie a flop, anyone with some common sense can see that its making respectably decent numbers. There is a difference between flopping and not meeting expectations, which is the case here.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Its the general indifference towards films like these...I bet the new transformers will crash in close to a billion dollars..I hope HTTYD 2 stays steady atleast.

And what about HTTYD 3? They are releasing it along with Batman vs Superman and Captain America 3. No way it can compete with these 2, no matter how good the 3rd one is.