Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Speculation for lack luster box office opening?
Topic Started: 27 Jun 2014, 00:07 (14358 Views)
MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Eret
27 Jun 2014, 02:28
recognizing that the US is the biggest film market in the world and being worried that its not doing as well domestically as even the most pessimistic naysayers predicted does not an american xenophobic snob make..................................................

by the way, absolutely nobody is calling this movie a flop, anyone with some common sense can see that its making respectably decent numbers. There is a difference between flopping and not meeting expectations, which is the case here.
Ok, point taken. :: takes a chill pill ::

And by the way--today HTTYD2 is Number One on Box Office Mojo's Wednesday box office charts.

So it did hit Number One. :)

I was at an electronics store today and they were playing the new trailer for HTTYD2. I think they're aware of Transformers' audience because the new trailer is skewing toward women instead of men or kids, who are probably looking forward to Transformers. The "Itchy Armpit" cut is more women-y than the "Dragons and Vikings, Enemies Again!" one.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

micromys
Cathartes Aura

Haha, I have a friend who is going to see it again tomorrow just to be someone not seeing Transformers. I'm considering doing the same, though it would be my third time. (Not that my ticket would make a difference! But it's the principle of the thing. ;) )

Eret
....Son of Eret

How sad is it that T4 is being critically panned right now and is still likely going to destroy the box office.. smh kids these days *shakes stick*

Quote:

Haha, I have a friend who is going to see it again tomorrow just to be someone not seeing Transformers. I'm considering doing the same, though it would be my third time. (Not that my ticket would make a difference! But it's the principle of the thing. ;) )
I'm seeing it for the 4th time at a drive in on saturday night partially for the same reason :$

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

Unitedmoviemaker
27 Jun 2014, 01:40
Sabrina
27 Jun 2014, 01:24
Something worse happened to me. I guy just said that he is a HUGE fan of the first movie, but is not interested in watching the sequel. :blink:

Sincerely, is that what you call a huge fan? One of my close friends, wasn't a fan of the first movie, but he wants to watch the sequel.

It makes no sense.
I can sorta understand that (maybe they like more of the action side of things) and at the same time, I can't. ^o)

DW did their best to get the fans hyped up for it. So, it's not like they didn't try. You can also say the same (more or less) for their advertising campaign.
It's just wierd. :ermm:
"Pain... love it."

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Sabrina
27 Jun 2014, 01:24

Something worse happened to me. I guy just said that he is a HUGE fan of the first movie, but is not interested in watching the sequel. :blink:

Sincerely, is that what you call a huge fan? One of my close friends, wasn't a fan of the first movie, but he wants to watch the sequel.

It makes no sense.
It's perfectly reasonable if the guy is strongly against the film having a sequel, or otherwise just considers it complete in every way, and thus not wanting a sequel to tarnish his own feelings of the original. I would say I was and am leaning in that direction, though not to nearly the same extent.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Quincy Dan
Member Avatar
The real Hiccup

Eret
27 Jun 2014, 04:17
How sad is it that T4 is being critically panned right now and is still likely going to destroy the box office.. smh kids these days *shakes stick*

Quote:

I'm seeing it for the 4th time at a drive in on saturday night partially for the same reason :$
I saw it on opening weekend at a drive-in. Nothing better than that. Except that it rained.

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

HTTYD2 was at #1 domestic on Thursday as well. So it has hit #1 for 2 days! Bragging rights....

Eret
....Son of Eret

Quincy Dan
27 Jun 2014, 16:19
Eret
27 Jun 2014, 04:17

Quote:

I saw it on opening weekend at a drive-in. Nothing better than that. Except that it rained.
It's supposed to rain tomorrow night here as well, darn it weather

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Box Office is at $110 million. I think it will stop at around $220 milion with a domestic/foreign ratio of around 1:2. With much luck it could reach the intended $700 million.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Skywalker
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Zer0x
28 Jun 2014, 11:04
Box Office is at $110 million. I think it will stop at around $220 milion with a domestic/foreign ratio of around 1:2. With much luck it could reach the intended $700 million.
There is no way the film breaks $200m domestically. The latest Friday number sealed that. It is going to struggle to get to $170m domestically. This film just doesn't have legs.

Also, on the importance of the domestic box office. It is important to realize the amount the studios get from each different territory. The US box office has by far the best splits and is thus the barometer used when assessing how well a film has done.

Unless you do some insane numbers internationally like the last couple of Transformers or POTC4, you need those domestic numbers for it to be worth the studio's wild.