Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
"He got me back"
Topic Started: 30 Jun 2014, 10:53 (1270 Views)
MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Just wanted to express my appreciation for the phrase "He got me back." It means two things: the usual kid's "get you back" in the eye-for-eye and tooth-for-tooth sense (though it might be too far to note that the character's name is Toothless) but it also means getting back in the sense of "retrieving". Toothless did get Hiccup back, retrieving him from the fire. And in turn, Hiccup retrieves Toothless from Drago.

There's a lot of good dialog use in that sense in HTTYD2. I noticed that any time a character expressed something, in the old Norse boasting sense, it turned into "Famous Last Words." "It takes more than a little fire to kill me!" Well, no, it took just that. "I won't let anything happen to you" well, yes he does.

Works very well.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Also, that "getting back" was one of Drago's issues, and should have been brought out more. Drago is out to "get the dragons back" for taking his leg and his family.

That was part of Berk's issue in the first movie, as well. "They've killed hundreds of us!" "We've killed thousands of them!"

And I'm wondering if, in one iteration of the story, that might have been Valka's issue as well. Get back at the Vikings for killing so many dragons. But she couldn't because of Hiccup.

Anyway it seems like a brilliant, subtle theme.

Dagur The Deranged
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I'd like to add that I felt there was another subtle meaning of psychologically getting someone back from something. In the first movie, Hiccup was gripped by the concept of killing dragons. I feel like there is a parallel beween Toothless getting Hiccup out of that way of thinking ("I looked at him, and I saw myself") and Hiccup pulling Toothless out of the Alpha's mind control.
Witness true strength! Strength of LOVE for others; in the face of it, you are nothing.

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Never thought of that. Good observation.