Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Favorite Thing
Topic Started: 11 Jun 2014, 08:46 (4149 Views)
Eret
....Son of Eret

We have a thread for least favorite thing, so I thought it'd make sense to have one to talk about what we liked the most about the movie. So what was your favorite thing overall about the film or what did you just really feel was done well?

Stoick's funeral I felt was very well done. I don't know why I wasn't expecting them to be so blatant about their religious views on death and the afterlife via Gobber's speech but I was very pleased that they were. It was a very lovely way to develop their culture as vikings beyond the occasional offhanded mention of norse gods. Seeing his feet poking out from under the blanket was a very sad but nice touch. Its like you can't believe he's really dead and its not a dream until you see his boat up flames.

Other things I really liked:
-Astrid and Hiccup's relationship was handled maturely and I liked that its implied by Stoick that they're engaged but the movie never feels its important enough to confirm whether or not they really are.
-The humor was so good, especially from Ruffnut and Eret, but honestly there were so many golden moments and a lot of them were just things happening simultaneously in the background, I'm sure when I watch it again I'll notice ten more hilarious things going on.
-The Stoick/Valka song was lovely, and I especially loved the part when Gobber dragged hiccup up to dance with him :D
-Valka and Hiccup flying together....... Just yes.
-Honestly the entire first half of the movie was very nearly flawless, I can't explain why but something about the acting from the characters and the world building really worked.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Exquisite character animations and stunning environmental lighting share pole position on the technical front. Story-wise, my favourite sequences include: (i) the second half of Hiccup and Astrid's rendezvous; (ii) most of "Flying with Mother"; (iii) all of "For the Dancing and the Dreaming"; and (iv) the first half of "Stoick's Ship". Throw in those endearing Toothless moments along with that goofy love quadrangle, and there's certainly a lot to like.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

While parts of it may not make a great deal of sense, I'm going to have to go with Toothless vs Drago's Bewilderbeast as my favourite scene. Such ludicrously, quite possibly unprecedented, quantities of awesomeness were enough to override even my critical nature while watching the scene, and I imagine it will continue to do so on future viewings.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

Stoick's funeral I loved. I also agree that Toothless taking on the evil Bewilderbeast was just awesome, and definitely one of the best scenes of the movie. Hiccup getting kidnapped by Valka was a great scene to watch in its entirety and finally, I actually really loved the scene where Toothless accidentally kills Stoick while attacking Hiccup. There were parts of that one that I would have written differently/added on to, but I still loved what they did with it.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-

Eret
....Son of Eret

I agree, the Toothless and Stoick scene was so well done and heartbreaking :c You expect him to wake up like Hiccup did in the first movie but then he never does and its just..... :'( And then when Hiccup yells at toothless to get away from him... tears.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

I loved Stoick's funeral for some particular reasons. Hiccup finally realises his real self and the speech was quite overwhelming. I also liked the end, when they kiss, because it was less awkward than the first movie's.

(Are they gonna end with a kiss in the third movie? Cause that would be cool.)
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

Like a lot of people already said, Stoick's funeral was simply amazing.
One of my favorite parts, though, was after Drago's Bewilderbeast retreated, Cloudjumped landed in front of Toothless and bowed down to him and Toothless just sat there looking smug. That was really cute :3
But Stoick's death and funeral were probably my favorite part of the movie (as sad as they were :'( ) because they made me actually realize that Hiccup was going to have to step into his father's shoes after all.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Dragon Girl
Gronckle

I loved Stoick's funeral even though I cried my eyes out. The speech Hiccup gave then was so emotional! My one of my favorite parts was he flashbacks to how Hiccup got his scar and Valka being taken away, and Stoick meeting Drago with the other chiefs. But scene wise my favorite scene has but to be when Toothless challenges the Alpha and when Hiccup becomes cheif.

Eret
....Son of Eret

When valka adds on to hiccup's map like 10 fold.... I thought that was so touching. And then Toothless draws all over it like he did in the first movie :wub:

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

Hmmmmm when Ghetto and I got free tickets? XD

But really, I loved when Stoick and Valka are reunited. Loved it!
^_^