Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
John Powell's Music Genius Fangirling (sorry)
Topic Started: 24 Jun 2014, 19:24 (2525 Views)
Jendora
Hiccup's Girlfriend

soaringhawk74
24 Jun 2014, 17:20
Jendora
24 Jun 2014, 06:33
I really liked the opening song (sorry, I don't have the soundtrack yet, so no titles). It was so much like the opening of the first movie that I smiled when I heard it.

Also, "For The Dancing and the Dreaming". So. Freaking. Cute. :wub:

I'm still in the process of buying this soundtrack for my iPod...but I seem to be looking in all the stores that don't have it. ^o)
Amazon has it so it shouldn't be too hard
Yep, I'm figuring that I'll just be ordering both the 1st and 2nd soundtracks from Amazon. Stores around here really suck most of the time. ^o)
Coming Soon!!
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

Shnuckles
24 Jun 2014, 13:44
It's debatable whether or not Dragons 2 is better than Dragons 1 (for me, personally, the second movie was more my style) but I think the soundtrack for this movie beats the soundtrack for Dragons 1. Anyone else agree, or am I alone on this?
Not alone... I think this is Powell's best scores to date... and I'm baised because I've probably only heard the Dragons one and Road to El Dorado....(which was actually both Powell and Hans Zimmer)

"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Since I now have tickets to the Dreamworks at the Hollywood Bowl performance (SQUEE!) I'm thinking about the marvelous soundtracks.

I have been absolutely delighted realizing that in "Valka's Dragon Sanctuary" among other tracks, I can hear echoes of Gustav Holst's "The Planets", the suite that inspired the original Star Wars sountrack.

Another delighted moment was in "Toothless Found", when I realized that here, John Powell plays Toothess's theme in the Phrygian mode:

which is the same mode Toothless's theme was played on the harpsichord (Hammered dulcimer?) in the track "The Dragon Book" in How to Train Your Dragon.

Love little details like that. And they add so much! <3

I also like that new themes in HTTYD2 apply to story arcs, so in addition to a character having a theme, the whole arc gets that theme. Whenever a piece of story belongs to that arc, we here the new theme that belongs to it. Again <3

I hope somebody passes this along to the Oscar voting academy... :alpha:

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

And because it's way too late, I'm wondering if Stoick's dragon was named after this:

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_ryNJVreiY&feature=kp[/flash]

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Or, when John Powell uses a celeste (?) in "Toothless Found", it's an bell-like tone, and to me it brings back "Forbidden Friendship", as if Hiccup is telling Toothless "Remember me? Remember that? Please remember."

"Poignant" is a really lame word to describe what that does to me.