Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Httyd 2 advertising
Topic Started: 20 Jun 2014, 15:16 (1504 Views)
Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Well the trailers (excluding the teaser) and some of the adverts made httyd 2 look like a fun and happy movie to some point. Even though there were many fun toothless and cloudjumper moments, the movie in my opinion (especially for extreme dragon fans like me) was a lot more dark and deep than expected. The second trailer had some battle scenes which showed us the slightly darker bits of the movie, but after that the adds just seemed to get more fun. The advertising was great in terms of excitement but I just fell that I wasn't prepared enough for the more emotional parts of the movie. Does anyone else feel the same?
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

I did, I mean based off of what I saw and what I expected, I thought that the trailers made it so much more uplifting. I expected the opposite seeing as there was the "I, alone, control the dragons" in a lot of the trailers I saw. I also expected it to be darker because of the "#Let it go" meme I saw where Toothless flying into the Alpha's Ice Breath while it was destroying Berk. A lot hinted at it being darker and people picked up on that. Overall, they were trying to make it happy and full of life, but I think that was to get people interested.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

I'm really perplexed as to what Fox failed to do marketing-wise that would explain the lack of strong box office success. I can agree that the general tone of the trailers were darker and more mature than average, but not by much. It still had plenty of lighthearted material thrown in that should have attracted the attention of kids and parents that were looking for humorous gag material for their kids to enjoy.

Overall, the marketing campaign seemed very strong so I think it would be hard to blame poor box office performance on lack of ad saturation. However, one thing that I did seem to notice was an absence of trailer marketing to mainstream media channels. I didn't see many 30 second trailer spots on national broadcast networks during primetime. I only saw a couple spots during America's Got Talent. It seemed like everyone was posting that they saw TV spots on Cartoon Network. Big deal. :ermm:

Additionally, I didn't see any effort to get the trailers in the preroll for any big mainstream movie titles. If DreamWorks/Fox was aiming to make this an all-ages breakthrough animated flick, they should have pushed to get the HTTYD 2 trailer added to the trailer packages for some of the big live-action young adult and all-ages movies like Captain America, X-Men, etc. I seem to remember viewing a lot more ads/trailers for movies like The Smurfs 2, Despicable Me 2 and Rio 2 in front of mainstream movies and broadcast television.

Interested if anyone else has noticed this or if you have seen plenty of mainstream ads despite my personal observations.

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

I wouldn't know about ad saturation. I know that YouTube has played a couple ads for HTTYD2, but that's about it. I don't watch much TV, mostly because I can't.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Astrid
Gronckle

Oneill5491
20 Jun 2014, 20:29
Additionally, I didn't see any effort to get the trailers in the preroll for any big mainstream movie titles. If DreamWorks/Fox was aiming to make this an all-ages breakthrough animated flick, they should have pushed to get the HTTYD 2 trailer added to the trailer packages for some of the big live-action young adult and all-ages movies like Captain America, X-Men, etc. I seem to remember viewing a lot more ads/trailers for movies like The Smurfs 2, Despicable Me 2 and Rio 2 in front of mainstream movies and broadcast television.
^this I remember the trailer being showed in Rio 2 preroll but when I watched X-men there was none, and this was a month before Httyd2 was going to be released, this was the moment you needed to anounce the movie was comming. Also it makes me smile a little because many said this movie was darker and for a more adult audience but the advertising was done for kids, so from an advertising point of view it kind of failed.

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

The only mainstream networks I watch are Food Network and once in a blue moon, TLC (before the main channel I watch changed their schedule so they weren't putting annoying made for TV movies on Friday nights)

The week before the movie was released- I only saw 3 ads on Food Network for it... and the weeks before I was lucky to spot one TV spot...

on a different note- I keep on catching random HTTYD spots when my dad or my mom had on another channel and it shows bits of Hiccup and Toothless in the air... but then again- I rarely watch mainstream networks on a regular basis...
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Oneill5491
20 Jun 2014, 20:29
I'm really perplexed as to what Fox failed to do marketing-wise that would explain the lack of strong box office success. I can agree that the general tone of the trailers were darker and more mature than average, but not by much. It still had plenty of lighthearted material thrown in that should have attracted the attention of kids and parents that were looking for humorous gag material for their kids to enjoy.

Overall, the marketing campaign seemed very strong so I think it would be hard to blame poor box office performance on lack of ad saturation. However, one thing that I did seem to notice was an absence of trailer marketing to mainstream media channels. I didn't see many 30 second trailer spots on national broadcast networks during primetime. I only saw a couple spots during America's Got Talent. It seemed like everyone was posting that they saw TV spots on Cartoon Network. Big deal. :ermm:

Interested if anyone else has noticed this or if you have seen plenty of mainstream ads despite my personal observations.
That's what I'm thinking. I went to Godzilla, Captain America, X-Men, and a few others and NEITHER once did I see an HTTYD2 trailer in them...

chimuelo
Blacksmith Apprentice

HideousZippleback
20 Jun 2014, 21:43
That's what I'm thinking. I went to Godzilla, Captain America, X-Men, and a few others and NEITHER once did I see an HTTYD2 trailer in them...
Weird, because when I went to see Godzilla, they played the Dragon 2 trailer. It must vary from theater to theater.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

I thought the advertising was a bit over the top with the clips. I loved seeing them in the theater, but I don't think it was necessary to show all of those clips.

I wish they did more goofy commercials with that gang doing weird stuff.
(I don't know, like the cast and the dragons are sitting in the theater?)
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I think they had great Saturation, much more so than the first one. But their two-pronged approach may have ended up hurting them. I worry they will find in retrospect that their strategy hurt them.