Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Will Drago Be Back?
Topic Started: 24 Jun 2014, 02:33 (4269 Views)
IcelandicEel
Administrator

Some people wanted to have a post-credits scene of Drago pulling himself out of the water and reattaching his arm. It ended up not making it into the movie, though. I'm guessing because they want to keep their options open. Having that scene would almost require that Drago play a large part in the next film. This way they can keep him, ignore him, or anything in between.
Did someone say... dragons?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

I thought Drago hid inside the bewilderbeast's belly like Jonah.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Pakba
24 Jun 2014, 09:50
I thought Drago hid inside the bewilderbeast's belly like Jonah.
If they do that, them I'm calling bovine excrement. Even most Christians and Jews who take a serious look at Jonah don't take it literally, because it's just that ridiculous.

With that said, I suppose it would make Hiccup look like less of an idiot, because really, no one could predict something that stupid, and there would be no way to spot it.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Cartoon Freak
24 Jun 2014, 10:56
If they do that, them I'm calling bovine excrement. Even most Christians and Jews who take a serious look at Jonah don't take it literally, because it's just that ridiculous.

With that said, I suppose it would make Hiccup look like less of an idiot, because really, no one could predict something that stupid, and there would be no way to spot it.
Well, DreamWorks already made a film about Moses and the Dragonverse mostly defies reality anyways.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

alpha_dragon
24 Jun 2014, 11:06

Well, DreamWorks already made a film about Moses and the Dragonverse mostly defies reality anyways.
Yes, but again, Jonah is so ridiculous even by the standards of the Bible that only fundamentalists take it literally, whereas you'd be hard-pressed to find a Christian or Jew who did not treat Exodus more or less as fact.

Also, I'm pretty sure the HTTYD films are supposed to be a more realistic take on the concept of dragons (it's all relative), so such an utterly ridiculous idea would be out of place.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Cartoon Freak
24 Jun 2014, 11:11
Yes, but again, Jonah is so ridiculous even by the standards of the Bible that only fundamentalists take it literally, whereas you'd be hard-pressed to find a Christian or Jew who did not treat Exodus more or less as fact.

Also, I'm pretty sure the HTTYD films are supposed to be a more realistic take on the concept of dragons (it's all relative), so such an utterly ridiculous idea would be out of place.
If DreamWorks attempted to make the Dragonverse relatively realistic, it's still not relatively convincing. Since Valka's bewilderbeast was shown to be able to hold massive amounts of fish and Drago's bewilderbeast was presumably the cause of the bubbles, there's plenty of room and air inside a bewilderbeast Drago.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

The issue is not one of sheer space, but of what Drago is actually in. Now, obviously he can't be in the digestive system, since he's not going to last long in a churning system filled with acid. As for the respiratory system, I'm no expert, but do lungs even work that way, as in, could something that big and solid (Drago's a fair bit bigger than a fish, the fish didn't need to be there long, and they didn't need to survive) stay in there? In addition, how does he even get in there in the first place? From what I do recall of biology, the body has an organ specifically designed to keep large lumps of solids and liquids from getting into the lungs. It's obviously not foolproof, but it would be awfully convenient if Drago just happened to pull off such a trick under pressure.

The mouth actually remains the most plausible location for him to hide. When the mouth of a freaking dragon is the best hiding spot, you know the plan isn't going to work.

As for the realism of the HTTYD franchise, it's all relative. Note the lack of magic and various other fantasy tropes common to the dragon rider concept.

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Stoik's funeral portrayed a great bit of Viking culture. I want to see Drago return and bring some full-on Slav culture with him. I want to see what the other Slavs think of what's going on with Drago.

And if you remember, Drago told his entire fleet to go to Berk. The fleet still hadn't arrived by the time the movie ended.

Maybe, since a lot of Drago's crew had French accents, they sail to Canada (which might have been on Valka's map....) and start Quebec? (yes, that's a joke. Why do Slavs have French accents?)

Eret
....Son of Eret

IcelandicEel
24 Jun 2014, 06:33
Some people wanted to have a post-credits scene of Drago pulling himself out of the water and reattaching his arm. It ended up not making it into the movie, though. I'm guessing because they want to keep their options open. Having that scene would almost require that Drago play a large part in the next film. This way they can keep him, ignore him, or anything in between.
I think that was a good call.... I was a little disappointed there was no end credits scene with drago but this makes more sense. if they want him to live they can find a way to do it with a little suspension of disbelief... if they want him to not be in it at all then its already explained why he's dead.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

I guess I don't get why you wouldn't bring him back. He's already an appropriately menacing villain who just needs his back story expanded. Unless you have an amazing idea for a new adversary, why put in the extra leg work?
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...