Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Will Drago Be Back?
Topic Started: 25 Jun 2014, 12:52 (4370 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

DarthBacon
25 Jun 2014, 16:35
The fact that Hiccup didnt make sure that Drago was dead doesnt make him stupid. He just defeated Drago, and the reality of what happened, how things have changed so drastically for him within such a short span of time, probably hasnt sunk in yet for him. And he is just 20, so cut him some slack. He would have been relieved that the casualities were limited to what just happened.

And as for him not being a 'good' chief, even any 'remotely good' chief would have stayed back to support his tribe, as most of their home has been destroyed. So Hiccup not going after Drago makes him a a very good and considerate chief, not someone who merely wants revenge.
A good chief protects his own, and the best way to protect Berk from Drago is to make sure that he's either dead or captured. As it stands, he's just left the door wide open for Drago to come back, and the consequences won't be pretty.

It's not like it would have taken long, either. Drago's going to be either slow or with the Bewilderbeast, and either way, he's got to come up for air pretty soon. They'd have secured peace within an hour, tops.
Quote:

excuse me but I do believe this to be a true event that happened it is NOT rediculous and actually I find your coment about offensive as the Bible and what's written in it is very important to me.
As it stands, I'm a Christian myself, but do not believe that every word within the Bible needs to be fact in order for it to be true. The book of Jonah has valuable lessons that are much more important than questions of whether or not the events actually happened. But plenty of Biblical scholars (and probably a fair few Rabbis) have written about such things much more effectively than I ever could. While I've probably already gone further into discussion if religion than I should on this forum, please feel free to PM me if you're interested in some critical analysis of the book of Jonah.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

DarthBacon
Gronckle

All that is fine, but at that moment, his most primary concern would obviously be his family, his tribe and their dragons. So what Hiccup did doesnt make him stupid.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Um, all those people and dragons are pretty clearly fine. So that's not an issue.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

Cartoon Freak
25 Jun 2014, 16:52
DarthBacon
25 Jun 2014, 16:35
The fact that Hiccup didnt make sure that Drago was dead doesnt make him stupid. He just defeated Drago, and the reality of what happened, how things have changed so drastically for him within such a short span of time, probably hasnt sunk in yet for him. And he is just 20, so cut him some slack. He would have been relieved that the casualities were limited to what just happened.

And as for him not being a 'good' chief, even any 'remotely good' chief would have stayed back to support his tribe, as most of their home has been destroyed. So Hiccup not going after Drago makes him a a very good and considerate chief, not someone who merely wants revenge.
A good chief protects his own, and the best way to protect Berk from Drago is to make sure that he's either dead or captured. As it stands, he's just left the door wide open for Drago to come back, and the consequences won't be pretty.

It's not like it would have taken long, either. Drago's going to be either slow or with the Bewilderbeast, and either way, he's got to come up for air pretty soon. They'd have secured peace within an hour, tops.
Quote:

excuse me but I do believe this to be a true event that happened it is NOT ridiculous and actually I find your coment about offensive as the Bible and what's written in it is very important to me.
As it stands, I'm a Christian myself, but do not believe that every word within the Bible needs to be fact in order for it to be true. The book of Jonah has valuable lessons that are much more important than questions of whether or not the events actually happened. But plenty of Biblical scholars (and probably a fair few Rabbis) have written about such things much more effectively than I ever could. While I've probably already gone further into discussion if religion than I should on this forum, please feel free to PM me if you're interested in some critical analysis of the book of Jonah.
My point was I don't think it's very nice to say something that happened in Bible times is ridiculous . People you should really watch what you say on here please. I do believe that everything in the Bible has happened or will happen in the very near future (such as the sign of the times mentioned in 1Timothy 3:-15) therefore I do find the comment about Jonah being a dumb story hurtful.

back on topic with the HTTYD thing Hiccup did actually look in the water to see if he could find Drago and his dragon but by they they'd probably swam too deeo to be noticed. Pluss his mind was more on keeping everyone in Berk safe and making sure they were all okay.
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Seriously? Are you not getting my point? If his very first decision as a chief is to stand by his people and help them, then its totally not stupid.

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Cartoon Freak
25 Jun 2014, 11:49
Regarding the production of fire, while biology is not my area of expertise, it doesn't appear too difficult to explain. Their fire clearly does come from them creating a flammable gas (seen explicitly with Zipplebacks, Night Furies, and the Red Death, but it is reasonable to assume that other dragons work the same way) and then igniting it. The ignition merely requires a spark at sufficient temperatures. That's not particularly difficult to create, as you just need two hard surfaces whacking against each other in the right way. As for the heat, last time I checked, there was a legitimate school of thought suggesting that dinosaurs were warm blooded, and those would be the reptilian creatures likely to be most closely related to dragons.

Now, it is entirely possible that some minor specifics might not work out, but that would fall well into the category of bending physics rather than breaking it.
It it can only work in the realm of fiction, then it's magic.

If the fuel is a gas, combustion is even more difficult to start because there's a "goldilock" zone of fuel-air ratio where the mixture is effective for combustion. If there's too much fuel or too much air, it won't ignite. If there's too much fuel, there's going to be so many toxic byproducts poisoning the dragon. If ignition were realistically possible inside the dragon, it's going to consume the dragon's supply of oxygen, causing asphyxia. In addition to the heat, combustion would also generate a pressure wave, which will damage the internal organs (internal combustion engines, guns are made using strong metals to confine and control the pressure wave). Pretending that dragon fire is possible, it wouldn't be ignited using a spark", but rather by a chemical reaction.

Let's get this straight, saurians are not reptiles and reptiles are not saurians. Regardless of clade, dragons would still susceptible to overheating.

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

ToothlessNightFury
25 Jun 2014, 15:32
excuse me but I do believe this to be a true event that happened it is NOT rediculous and actually I find your coment about offensive as the Bible and what's written in it is very important to me.
I agree with Cartoon Freak on this matter. Whale and human biology says it couldn't happen without the help of magic. You can believe anything you want, but without evidence, you don't have the basis to claim it to be true.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

alpha_dragon
25 Jun 2014, 18:40
ToothlessNightFury
25 Jun 2014, 15:32
I agree with Cartoon Freak on this matter. Whale and human biology says it couldn't happen without the help of magic. You can believe anything you want, but without evidence, you don't have the basis to claim it to be true.
Well actually it says in the Bible that God made the fish swallow Jonah and also stopped the fish from swallowing him and digesting him. I do not believe that to be magic.

and it is never confirmed that it is a whale. A whale is just shown in the pictures.
we do not know and the Bible never says if Jonah saw the fish or not.
A whale is not a fish it is a mammal that breathes air and does not have gills.

I do have evidence . It's called the Bible.

alpha_dragon
25 Jun 2014, 18:32
Cartoon Freak
25 Jun 2014, 11:49
Regarding the production of fire, while biology is not my area of expertise, it doesn't appear too difficult to explain. Their fire clearly does come from them creating a flammable gas (seen explicitly with Zipplebacks, Night Furies, and the Red Death, but it is reasonable to assume that other dragons work the same way) and then igniting it. The ignition merely requires a spark at sufficient temperatures. That's not particularly difficult to create, as you just need two hard surfaces whacking against each other in the right way. As for the heat, last time I checked, there was a legitimate school of thought suggesting that dinosaurs were warm blooded, and those would be the reptilian creatures likely to be most closely related to dragons.

Now, it is entirely possible that some minor specifics might not work out, but that would fall well into the category of bending physics rather than breaking it.
It it can only work in the realm of fiction, then it's magic.

If the fuel is a gas, combustion is even more difficult to start because there's a "goldilock" zone of fuel-air ratio where the mixture is effective for combustion. If there's too much fuel or too much air, it won't ignite. If there's too much fuel, there's going to be so many toxic byproducts poisoning the dragon. If ignition were realistically possible inside the dragon, it's going to consume the dragon's supply of oxygen, causing asphyxia. In addition to the heat, combustion would also generate a pressure wave, which will damage the internal organs (internal combustion engines, guns are made using strong metals to confine and control the pressure wave). Pretending that dragon fire is possible, it wouldn't be ignited using a spark", but rather by a chemical reaction.

Let's get this straight, saurians are not reptiles and reptiles are not saurians. Regardless of clade, dragons would still susceptible to overheating.

Guysss I just got done high school. Let's just talk about HTTYD and no more biology or chemistry or whatever
please? :)
Or I shall be forced to post this:

:)

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

ToothlessNightFury
25 Jun 2014, 18:51
Guysss I just got done high school. Let's just talk about HTTYD and no more biology or chemistry or whatever
Why wouldn't you apply the things you've learned to dragons?

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

alpha_dragon
25 Jun 2014, 18:55
ToothlessNightFury
25 Jun 2014, 18:51
Why wouldn't you apply the things you've learned to dragons?
Dragons are not real.

my point was you guys are arguring about how it's not biologically possible for a dragon (a make believe reptile) to sawallow humans. Therefor it's a lesson in bio. So it relates to school