Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Night Furies
Topic Started: 25 Jun 2014, 20:26 (3742 Views)
landyy
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Just about every newly added character in Httyd 2 (Valka, Drago, Eret, etc.) were surprised when they first saw Toothless, they would even add in that he's probably the last of his kind. So my question is would you consider Toothless the last of the Night Fury species or are the writers trying to foreshadow the existence of more Night Furies in Httyd3?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

Thinking about it now, I think the writers trying to foreshadow something, but I don't think it's the existence of other Night Furies. I think that they want to punch in that fact before the third movie so that they can pull the rug out from under us.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

landyy
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I think there should be more considering Toothless was able to resist the Red Death and the Bewilderbeast's control (with a bit of help). They are also the most intelligent and fastest known dragon species so I don't see how the entire species could have been wiped out.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

landyy
26 Jun 2014, 00:52
They are also the most intelligent and fastest known dragon species so I don't see how the entire species could have been wiped out.
You made a really good point here.
I'm prepared to find out that Toothless is the last Night Fury, but then the new question must be answered: Why is he the last? ;)

I'm predicting that it has something to do with dragons "going away" (been stated in the past that the trilogy will explain why dragons are no more).

landyy
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I heard that the series may be extended to four movies and is httyd actually going to end with the dragons leaving for good?

Shnuckles
Deadly Nadder

landyy
26 Jun 2014, 01:25
I heard that the series may be extended to four movies and is httyd actually going to end with the dragons leaving for good?
As of now, that is where DW is taking the movies; with an explanation of why dragons are no more. Hence, the extinction of the dragons (or them going into hiding).

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

I actually have no idea.

But he probably is the last of his kind.

Just one thing though.... Valka knew all these things about Toothy. How? And Drago's cape thingy, what is it?
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

WasBornCrazy

Just one thing though.... Valka knew all these things about Toothy
^This. When Valka was examining toothless, she stated that he might be the last of his kind and even knew his age. This heavily implies she knows about night furies. What kinda bothered me was that this pretty much flew right over Hiccups head. I know the writers just wanted to drop that in to keep us on edge for the 3rd movie, but to me if someone said that to Hiccup (that they know more about night furies), I'm pretty sure he would corner them and wouldn't let them go until he knew more. Just saying.

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I caught that as well. How would she know that? It either implies she had seen one before(or likely multiples, since she could tell age from his chin--need multiple examples for reference), or someone else was involved in teaching her some of her knowledge.

Baron Von Clop
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I noticed this during the movie too, it's a little odd. Valka both says that Toothless is the last of his kind, but also has intimate, deep knowledge about the species, to the point of unlocking new abilities and even telling his age. Either the disappearance of other Night Furies was a recent thing, or Valka has some other source of knowledge about dragons.

As for Night Furies going away, it is kind of odd, isn't it? They're the fastest, most intelligent, most agile and have a unique breath weapon strong enough to become the alpha dragon, yet they're the only dragon species to go extinct that we know of?

Personally, I lean far more towards they're hiding or humans just haven't seen most of them rather than Toothless being the only one left.