Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
HTTYD 2 Inducted into IMDb's Top 250!
Topic Started: 08 Oct 2014, 20:16 (3714 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

gmarvin112
08 Oct 2014, 17:43
There's nothing "noteworthy" about a film being on IMDb's Top 250.
Then I trust you'll be saying much the same thing when HTTYD 3 is almost inevitably in the top 250 for a while.

At any rate, when it comes to just being in the top 250 for a short period of time, I completely agree with you. When it comes to being in the top 250 for the long-term, however, I have to disagree. Being on there for a long time, as I have said, suggests that a film is legitimately well-regarded by a wide variety of people, most of whom would have no particular bias in favour of it.

Not that I'm saying it's a big deal, mind you, just that it's noteworthy as a point of curiosity.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

gmarvin112
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Cartoon Freak
09 Oct 2014, 00:16
gmarvin112
08 Oct 2014, 17:43
There's nothing "noteworthy" about a film being on IMDb's Top 250.
Then I trust you'll be saying much the same thing when HTTYD 3 is almost inevitably in the top 250 for a while.

At any rate, when it comes to just being in the top 250 for a short period of time, I completely agree with you. When it comes to being in the top 250 for the long-term, however, I have to disagree. Being on there for a long time, as I have said, suggests that a film is legitimately well-regarded by a wide variety of people, most of whom would have no particular bias in favour of it.

Not that I'm saying it's a big deal, mind you, just that it's noteworthy as a point of curiosity.
Eh, I don't know. I think you're giving IMDb's Top 250 too much credit. I just can't take it seriously. It's all just a huge popularity contest, to be honest. It's also extremely biased. I read an article a while ago about how Batman fans were going around giving other movies (The Godfather, Shawshank, etc.) low scores just to get The Dark Knight higher on the list. To each their own, though.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Eh, I don't know. I think you're giving IMDb's Top 250 too much credit. I just can't take it seriously. It's all just a huge popularity contest, to be honest. It's also extremely biased. I read an article a while ago about how Batman fans were going around giving other movies (The Godfather, Shawshank, etc.) low scores just to get The Dark Knight higher on the list. To each their own, though.
Well, yeah, it's a measure of popularity, but it's pretty much the best measure I've seen, for two basic reasons. First, it (generally) measures what a person thinks of a movie after seeing it, whereas box office can only measure whether a person wants to see it, which generally comes down to the marketing campaign more than anything else. Second, it's got a large user base, which minimises the impact of trolls in various forms. It doesn't completely eliminate them, but it makes their impact minimal.

As a measure of quality, you're right in that it's not a great deal of use. It is, however, at least a better measure than box office, because at least everyone on there cares about movies, even if they're not necessarily experts on them, so it's still a step or two above the plebs, many of whom simply see a movie because they need something to do with a day off, and forget about it shortly after leaving the cinema.

So in short, yes, it's a popularity contest, but that's still something of note.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Pikey
Wow!

gmarvin112
09 Oct 2014, 01:42
It's also extremely biased. I read an article a while ago about how Batman fans were going around giving other movies (The Godfather, Shawshank, etc.) low scores just to get The Dark Knight higher on the list. To each their own, though.
This is one strong reason for me not caring much about it, aside from not caring about movies in general. :P

You also got the broadness factor, having a 'Top' anything like this doesn't really mean much, someone's top 10 video games might be vastly different to yours, not necessarily because the games you picked are overall better, but because they're also your type of games. A driving fan's top 10 will probably include driving games, but a shooter fan will probably include shooters.