Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
The idea of Stoick coming back
Topic Started: 30 Jun 2014, 17:49 (4645 Views)
MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

ToothlessTheUseless
30 Jun 2014, 20:45
There's some people that think it is possible for him to come back and it's like...we watched his body go up in flames on that ship, I don't think he's coming back haha

Plus the whole "I'm dead oh wait now I'm alive again" thing feels too Disney for me, as that seems to be a main theme in most of their movies (minus Lion King and Bambi)
I agree. He can't come back if he burned.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

draconicwyvern
kyt, 18, she/her.

Something I may want to see, however, is Stoick appearing in a flashback or a dream sequence.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

cometotheberkside
30 Jun 2014, 21:51
Something I may want to see, however, is Stoick appearing in a flashback or a dream sequence.
That's fine if they show him in flashbacks. But they're certainly not bringing him back to life.

I would feel like I cried for nothing.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

EXACTLY.

As ToothlessTheUseless said, in almost every Disney movie, someone 'died' and came back (i.e Anna, Eugene/Flynn).

Why do you want this?!

(Although it's easier to think he hasn't died because no series without him are out yet.)

This is not Disney. They are trying to get it realistic. Nothing 'real' ends sweet. There will always be something BITTER.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

ToothlessTheUseless
Plus the whole "I'm dead oh wait now I'm alive again" thing feels too Disney for me, as that seems to be a main theme in most of their movies (minus Lion King and Bambi)
WasBornCrazy
01 Jul 2014, 00:12
This is not Disney. They are trying to get it realistic. Nothing 'real' ends sweet. There will always be something BITTER.
I feel like I gotta speak up for Disney here. Don't get me wrong now, I think DreamWorks is better but I don't hate Disney. They have characters dying in their movies too. Usually their supporting characters or main character's parents.
More death doesn't mean more realistic guys.
WasBornCrazy
As ToothlessTheUseless said, in almost every Disney movie, someone 'died' and came back (i.e Anna, Eugene/Flynn).
This isn't a sin. If it fits their story, they should be allowed to do this. It's using a kind of shock and suspense value. We think the character is done for but they pull through. DreamWorks did it with Hiccup at the end of the battle with The Red Death in the first movie.
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.

ToothlessTheUseless
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Oh no, I'm not trying to speak negatively of Disney! I was just pointing out that Disney has their own little thing with people dying and coming back, and since DreamWorks is a completely different company, I feel like they do things differently. But yeah, Hiccup did kind of have a death scare at the end of the first film, but what I liked about that is that he lost his leg, whereas in Disney the characters come back with little to no injuries/side-effects/etc.

Like I said, not trying to badmouth Disney whatsoever. I was just kinda pointing out that the two companies do things differently when it comes to storytelling lol

Polychrome
Hatchling

The following is not a reflection on my opinion of Stoick. He's dead, he's probably returning in flashbacks.
WasBornCrazy
This folks, is why I hate grapefruit.

Look. I'm actually kinda irritated that people keep bringing Disney into this. Disney doesn't retcon deaths. Rather, they avoid it entirely unless it genuinely means anything to the story. If anything, "magic" Snow-White or Sleeping Beauty "sleeping deaths" (the pile I'm also tossing Anna into) are usually some kind of magical sleep or petrification. (A status-effect, if you will.) No death occurs in the first place. And if you have ever read Grimm's Fairy Tales (of which many Disney movies are based off of) deaths are often retconned and pretty bizarre.

I think the only real death retcon I've seen in a Disney movie was Hercules.

Quite frankly, those deep dark comic books with all their scary blood and imagery tend to retcon deaths all over the place. If anything, the only way Disney could be blamed is by buying Marvel and Lucasfilm.

As for reality...life is only what you make of it. Nothing more, nothing less. Two people could be dealt the same crap hand and still go on to lead vastly different lives, happy or sad. (Cue Tales of the Abyss....) Happiness is learning to see joy in the everyday, the mundane, regardless of what crap you are given in life, and make your own darn happy ending. Bitter is for people who are bitter. If you can't see that, then these movies are obviously not getting to you the way they should be.

Reality isn't "Rocks fall, Everybody dies".

DerangedTheDagur
Pirate Lord of the Berk archipelago

When Obi-Wan died in Empire, didn't he come back as a ghost in Return of the Jedi? I hope they don't do that with Stoick... lol
"I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." ~Captain Jack Sparrow

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

Faerie_Dragon
01 Jul 2014, 00:32
ToothlessTheUseless
WasBornCrazy
I feel like I gotta speak up for Disney here. Don't get me wrong now, I think DreamWorks is better but I don't hate Disney. They have characters dying in their movies too. Usually their supporting characters or main character's parents.
More death doesn't mean more realistic guys.
WasBornCrazy
This isn't a sin. If it fits their story, they should be allowed to do this. It's using a kind of shock and suspense value. We think the character is done for but they pull through. DreamWorks did it with Hiccup at the end of the battle with The Red Death in the first movie.
I agree. And I don't think it's right to compare Dragons 2 to Frozen for two reasons; 1 is that Frozen is for a younger audience, and 2-they have very different stories.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

DerangedTheDagur
01 Jul 2014, 16:59
When Obi-Wan died in Empire, didn't he come back as a ghost in Return of the Jedi? I hope they don't do that with Stoick... lol
I don't think they will. ;)