Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Please Keep Hiccup and Toothless together at the end of HTTYD3
Topic Started: 29 Jun 2014, 23:54 (8860 Views)
Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

micromys
30 Jun 2014, 03:41
I really don't think anyone should be using change.org for this sort of thing. That should be saved for really important issues.

I'm against the idea of trying to force Dean's hand anyway -- or indeed, forcing the hand of any author/artist. I want to see what ending he thinks is best for this series... even if it's an ending that will hurt me. In a strange way, I kind of want it to hurt. HTTYD means a lot to me, and I don't expect saying goodbye to it will be easy. I'm all right with that.
I agree. I'm willing to accept any pain that comes my way when it comes to the ending.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

alpha_dragon
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I don't understand why this was even posting in "Suggestions & Improvements" forum.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

alpha_dragon
30 Jun 2014, 04:00
I don't understand why this was even posting in "Suggestions & Improvements" forum.
I don't understand the whole thing.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

I'm sorry guys. I had to XD I agree with all your views about wanting to see how this plays out. I will be heartbroken if this does happen, but it would be a good ending I think.
^_^

IcelandicEel
Administrator

This is not a suggestion for the forum, so I'm moving it to HTTYD 2.
Did someone say... dragons?

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Sorry, I can't sign this. I want the dragons to disappear, not because I'm 'bad', but because it'll end better. They've tried so hard to make the second movie realistic, ruining the ending to the franchise would make it into a fairytale. Heck, we all know there are no fairytales is reality. Unless Disney is your reality.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

I'm not signing it. But I'm totally against this ending. Httyd 2 upset me enough. Plus hiccup and toothless have been through too much together. I wouldn't mind a slightly bittersweet ending. But this seems completely bitter rather then bittersweet.
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

I'd just like to address a couple of points...
micromys
I really don't think anyone should be using change.org for this sort of thing. That should be saved for really important issues.
The petition does not violate Change.org's terms of service, nor is it the first petition of its nature to appear on the site. It consumes very little of their resources, and attracts new visitors who might sign other petitions for more important causes. I fail to see any negative here.
micromys
I'm against the idea of trying to force Dean's hand anyway -- or indeed, forcing the hand of any author/artist. I want to see what ending he thinks is best for this series...
That's fair enough. However, let's remember that the only reason we have HTTYD 2 is because the fans voted with their wallets. We bought movie tickets (many of us more than once), Blu-rays, and merchandise because we liked HTTYD enough to see another made. Dean would not have been able to make his art if not for the fans.

If Dreamworks didn't care what fans thought, then I guess they shouldn't have told us how they planned to end the trilogy. I think Dean was likely well aware that he might get a negative reaction to his comments, which seem to be intentionally vague with their lack of reference to Toothless. He might even be testing the waters to see what fans think.

Being a fan is not about being a passive consumer. You are allowed to think for yourself and disagree with the creators. On the same token, you are also free to disagree with the petition and refuse to sign it.

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

I am curious why some people think the ending would be "ruined" if Hiccup and Toothless didn't separate. Were the endings of the the first two movies bad, in your opinion?

It looks like DreamWorks will be going through the the dragon disappearance storyline either way, so the ending is going to be extremely bittersweet/sad regardless of what happens to Toothless. I don't buy the idea that all dragons will immediately vanish, which leaves the possibility that some will choose to remain.

It's easy to make people cry by breaking apart the main characters. That's why it's been done so many times in children's books and films. I point to the examples given in the petition, along with pretty much every "boy and his dog" book ever written, and I'll throw in Toy Story 3 for good measure. Heck, there's probably a hundred more examples. There's nothing new under the sun.

The thing is, sad doesn't automatically equal good. DreamWorks could have killed off Toothless in HTTYD 1 (the idea was floated by Katzenberg); it would have been emotional and tear-jerking, but they decided not to end it that way. They had Hiccup lose his leg instead, which turned out to be less sad, but much more creative and original than the standard manipulative tear-jerking ending.

But, if you guys really want a tear-jerking ending, then who am I to say you're wrong. It comes down to personal taste, but I'm just trying to present another perspective.

Of course, none of us know what Dean has planned for Toothless. All we can do is weigh in with our opinions until he clarifies his position... if and when that happens.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

I never claimed it was breaking any rules. I just feel using the site for this purpose is in poor taste.

And I'm hardly a passive consumer -- if I was, I wouldn't be on this forum. But I do think there's a difference between presenting your feelings and opinions on certain ideas and making a petition. A petition feels much more like a demand. It feels like it's saying "if we get enough people then we expect you to do what we say."

I don't think anybody is saying a sad ending would be necessarily good, or a totally happy ending will be necessarily bad. We don't know anything about how this is going to play out. I'm just against trying to put the pressure on one way or another.