Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Please Keep Hiccup and Toothless together at the end of HTTYD3
Topic Started: 07 Jul 2014, 10:11 (8859 Views)
HTTYD PT
Gronckle

mr.k.c.w.
07 Jul 2014, 08:45
HideousZippleback
07 Jul 2014, 08:12
:ermm: People who signed this are absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
Yep. I think they are basically trying to take liberal rights out of the creators. I mean, I know that they didn’t intend to do that. But basically, from my point of view, their trying to tell the goverment from not letting DreamWorks to have the rights to create and speak out. The reason for that, is just to not see a sad ending. I know some said that it’s kind of cliche now to have friendships to break at the end of the movie. But that’s one of the reason why I love HTTYD - The story feels realistic, and I simply adore realism. I want very heart-breaking realism - Even sometimes it acquire someone to die, for another to grow up. And a happy ending just won’t cut it for me, at least in this franchise.

Besides, we already have two bittersweet endings(You can argue that HTTYD2’s ending is too sweet, but personally, Stoick’s death still shadows me into calling it a bittersweet ending in the end.), why won’t DreamWorks throw in another one, just to tear our hearts out for one, last, final time.

you are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

doeslingx
...and one other reason

Yeah I think we've all agreed that this petition is pointless and generally makes Dragon fans look a bit ridiculous. Although it's somehow got to 6 pages...
I don't have a signature, see?

Polychrome
Hatchling

Hic626
07 Jul 2014, 00:03
Hopefully the ending won't be all shitting rainbows.
The way people go on about it, you'd think that or "depress-o-vision" are the only choices. And I get the sense that the depression is somehow wanted.

Sometimes I wonder if we've been watching the same movies.

What impressed me about the first movie's ending... I can't even bring myself to call it "bittersweet". I'd say it's closer to caffeine. You don't care what it tastes like, because it leaves you feeling awake and elated. Hiccup bet his life and won an amazing jackpot. He got the respect of his father and the village, changed an entire way of life in a more fun way, and he'd decisively ended a war. The loss of Hiccup's leg was a trophy, and made perfect sense for the culture he was in. It matched him with Toothless, and was a sign that he wouldn't have it any other way. That is the genius in the way the first movie played out. They'd turned dismemberment into "HAPPY END!" It was the most bizarre "feel good" ending ever. It was a pure, elated victory that left you all happy-tingly inside, but it sure as heck wasn't My Little Pony. (And I really can't see Disney pulling off something like that.)

(If you check the deleted scenes in the "Snoggletog" special, there's a deleted scene that seems to imply Hiccup thinks of his leg as "payment" for his friendship with Toothless, to the point that dreaming about regaining it is a nightmare.)

The second ending can be called "bittersweet", because while they're back to fun and dragon races, it feels as if they're having a funeral of sorts. There's a feel that the fun is to honor the dead and regain a sense of normalcy. No matter how good a time they were having, there is still the elephant in the room: someone is missing who should be there. It was just fine for the situation.

I guarantee you this: If Hiccup and Toothless are separated, it will be a mutual thing on the best of terms. And if I were putting money on the third ending, I'd be placing my bets on "Hiccstrid" kids. Because if there's a pattern to the endings so far, it's that there is both loss and gain on Hiccup's part, and that seems to be the only "moving on" that seems appropriate for a loss of one's beloved animal friend. Maybe even a fast-forward to grandkids, and Hiccup giving "When I was your age..." tales. XD (What can I say? It'd fit with what we already know.)

ToothlessTheUseless
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

A main point people are using to support their "argument" is that splitting up friendships is cliche. When you boil it down, though, it's not about the cliche, but how it is executed. Killing off a parent/parents is a major cliche in animated movies, however DreamWorks managed to pull it off in a surprising and shocking way that is definitely different from anything we've ever seen before in a movie aimed at kids. The story of the "weakling" becoming the hero is also a cliche, but again, the way it was executed with Hiccup was still something unique. I could go on and on about this.

Don't try and tell others how to do their job. DreamWorks has shown us time and time again that they are able to take these so-called cliches and twist them into something different and new.

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

MY OPINIAN OF THE POST OF Polychrome is:

First the toothless can not escape because the toothless hiccup does not have a wing, 2nd Toothless è alpha Dragons so can not leave the island berk.
But in this movie nothing is impossible.
(What I love about tmabem HTTYD is the form that is the disney movie because the story ends with no deaths just fine and HTTYD not there always some loss of someone we stayed especial after the movie wondering why that was character-in vain.)
I like hiccup and Toothless stayed together but the directors of the story is that decide so we'll wait. -_-

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

It seems like we're going in circles a little bit. I'm not going to convince you guys to change your minds, and you guys are not going to convince the 1200 people who signed the petition that separating Hiccup and Toothless would make a good ending.

In keeping with the Star Wars parallel (since Dean called HTTYD2 his take on The Empire Strikes Back), maybe this is going to be like Return of the Jedi, which really divided the Star Wars fandom. Many fans thought it massively inferior to The Empire Strikes Back (and the first Star Wars), but a lot of people loved it anyway. It just comes down to personal taste.

I can't think of any circumstance where Hiccup and Toothless separating would satisfy me, but maybe that means the movie just isn't made for me. If it does come to that, I'll just agree to disagree with Dean DeBlois, but no one is going to convince me to like something that doesn't appeal to me.

I agree with Polychrome on one thing, it seems like people here are reading way more sadness into this franchise that what actually exists. The first film's ending was hardly bittersweet at all. Hiccup losing his leg wasn't even that sad because it nicely paralleled him with Toothless. We can argue about how sad Stoick's death made the ending of HTTYD 2, but I think we all knew it was coming. He was getting up there in age, so he probably would have died due to natural cuases within a few years if he hadn't gone out fighting. Besides, DreamWorks told us this would be the darkest movie of the trilogy.

If they are planning on separating Hiccup and Toothless, I think that would be even more sad than Stoick's death. I would not be opposed to an ending where Hiccup and Toothless died together of old age, but I'm not sure if that would be considered. But I definitely like the idea of them being buried at sea together... inseparable even in death. Who says I'm against a bittersweet ending?

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

Night Fury
07 Jul 2014, 19:57
It seems like we're going in circles a little bit. I'm not going to convince you guys to change your minds, and you guys are not going to convince the 1200 people who signed the petition that separating Hiccup and Toothless would make a good ending.

In keeping with the Star Wars parallel (since Dean called HTTYD2 his take on The Empire Strikes Back), maybe this is going to be like Return of the Jedi, which really divided the Star Wars fandom. Many fans thought it massively inferior to The Empire Strikes Back (and the first Star Wars), but a lot of people loved it anyway. It just comes down to personal taste.

I can't think of any circumstance where Hiccup and Toothless separating would satisfy me, but maybe that means the movie just isn't made for me. If it does come to that, I'll just agree to disagree with Dean DeBlois, but no one is going to convince me to like something that doesn't appeal to me.

I agree with Polychrome on one thing, it seems like people here are reading way more sadness into this franchise that what actually exists. The first film's ending was hardly bittersweet at all. Hiccup losing his leg wasn't even that sad because it nicely paralleled him with Toothless. We can argue about how sad Stoick's death made the ending of HTTYD 2, but I think we all knew it was coming. He was getting up there in age, so he probably would have died due to natural cuases within a few years if he hadn't gone out fighting. Besides, DreamWorks told us this would be the darkest movie of the trilogy.

If they are planning on separating Hiccup and Toothless, I think that would be even more sad than Stoick's death. I would not be opposed to an ending where Hiccup and Toothless died together of old age, but I'm not sure if that would be considered. But I definitely like the idea of them being buried at sea together... inseparable even in death. Who says I'm against a bittersweet ending?

only one thing who do think toothless will get away if he need hiccup to fly? this is my question

Dragon Girl
Gronckle

I really hope Toothless doesn't die p. I know the film/series is supposed to tell us why there aren't dragons today but I feel like they can at least give Toothless a longer life than 20 years. I rather the final fate of both Hiccup and Toothless to be unknown. So we know they lived their lives, than have it cruelly taken away from either of them. <3

Polychrome
Hatchling

HTTYD PT RIC

First the toothless can not escape because the toothless hiccup does not have a wing, 2nd Toothless è alpha Dragons so can not leave the island berk.
That's already been addressed, technically. Hiccup does have an invention that could, potentially, set Toothless free. Toothless eventually rejected it. Either way, if it happens, it'll be on good mutual terms, I guarantee you. They'll probably give us a whack in the head with a rolled up nostalgia newspaper, and give it a sendoff that doesn't really need any continuation. (Think Toy Story 3.)
Quote:

(What I love about tmabem HTTYD is the form that is the disney movie because the story ends with no deaths just fine and HTTYD not there always some loss of someone we stayed especial after the movie wondering why that was character-in vain.)
I like hiccup and Toothless stayed together but the directors of the story is that decide so we'll wait. -_-
See, I agree that we shouldn't try to mess with the ending. But I say that because I trust DreamWorks on this to leave me satisfied. If there was something to make me stop liking these movies, I'd find something else to do. Life is too short.

I suppose what I've been trying to say is that DreamWorks, so far, has been able to keep most everyone satisfied. However, in every fandom I've ever followed, there's always been the "depress-o-vision" crowd, that seems to want a bloodbath ending in their cartoons in an attempt to make them "real". How many of those non-Disney stories really ended bitter? And would you want them to? More often than not, in any story following the "Hero's Journey", the darkness is simply a backdrop for the light to shine against. It's worth noting that a lot of old children's literature starts under or passes through very dark and desperate circumstances. The happy ending is hard-earned, because it makes the payoff that much better.

It's like LOTR. Frodo got whisked off to magic elf-land, while Sam went back to the real world, settled down, had a family. Frodo's ending was unrealistic and legendary, whereas Sam's was down to earth, and perfect for the occasion. Which of them lived happily ever after? I've often wondered if the end of LOTR was supposed to be a commentary on "endings", because in the real world, the rest of us go back to our lives and the quieter joys implied by that.

And now I leave you with this little DISNEY tidbit that is oddly fitting...

http://youtu.be/xB5ceAruYrI

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

Polychrome
08 Jul 2014, 05:56
HTTYD PT RIC

That's already been addressed, technically. Hiccup does have an invention that could, potentially, set Toothless free. Toothless eventually rejected it. Either way, if it happens, it'll be on good mutual terms, I guarantee you. They'll probably give us a whack in the head with a rolled up nostalgia newspaper, and give it a sendoff that doesn't really need any continuation. (Think Toy Story 3.)
Quote:

See, I agree that we shouldn't try to mess with the ending. But I say that because I trust DreamWorks on this to leave me satisfied. If there was something to make me stop liking these movies, I'd find something else to do. Life is too short.

I suppose what I've been trying to say is that DreamWorks, so far, has been able to keep most everyone satisfied. However, in every fandom I've ever followed, there's always been the "depress-o-vision" crowd, that seems to want a bloodbath ending in their cartoons in an attempt to make them "real". How many of those non-Disney stories really ended bitter? And would you want them to? More often than not, in any story following the "Hero's Journey", the darkness is simply a backdrop for the light to shine against. It's worth noting that a lot of old children's literature starts under or passes through very dark and desperate circumstances. The happy ending is hard-earned, because it makes the payoff that much better.

It's like LOTR. Frodo got whisked off to magic elf-land, while Sam went back to the real world, settled down, had a family. Frodo's ending was unrealistic and legendary, whereas Sam's was down to earth, and perfect for the occasion. Which of them lived happily ever after? I've often wondered if the end of LOTR was supposed to be a commentary on "endings", because in the real world, the rest of us go back to our lives and the quieter joys implied by that.

And now I leave you with this little DISNEY tidbit that is oddly fitting...

http://youtu.be/xB5ceAruYrI

But you understood the movies of disney already know how it ends and always with a happy ending and the HTTYD can not guess because they invent something in the end of the movie.