Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Please Keep Hiccup and Toothless together at the end of HTTYD3
Topic Started: 09 Jul 2014, 22:39 (8853 Views)
dorcas18
Dragon Egg

Perhaps the world is not yet ready to take animation seriously...

Putting aside the box office, httyd 2 has pretty much fulfilled what Jeffery visions for Dreamworks animation to accomplished- "bring out the adult in every child".

I remember once (I revisited this movie soooo many times i've lost count 8) ) when watching the film and when it came to the part when Stoick died, this little girl behind me started crying :'( ; I overheard her mother comforting her telling her something like " Don't cry, it's just a movie", and then she said (again something like this) " But toothless killed Hiccup's dad. That is wrong."... (to tell the truth, i really wanted to pay attention to the film, but i couldn't pull myself from listening to the interaction behind... anyway)

It came to the part where Hiccup reconciles with Toothless, the girl was like "yes toothless, its not your fault"... and I remember saying like "I still love you" sentence <--this got me tearing in the heart. And at the end of the film, while elated Powel-Jonsi music was in the air, and the audience were good to go, the mother asked her child "So did you enjoy the film?" Without hesitation, no longer sobbing, the child giggled "Yes!".

"Did you learn anything from in the movie?"

"Yes"

"Really? So what did you learn?"

"I learn to forgive Toothless because...(can't remember what else she said)...Hiccup forgave Toothless.."

I was astonished :O
I finally looked back, and what I saw was this small little girl, half of her body is covered behind the popcorn box she's holding, eyes still a bit red, but in a joyful spirit. Having her to go through all the emotions this movie made her all ended... in growth.

So I was thinking,
How often have we underestimate the power of animation as "just another children story"?
Or lets say how often does occur a children's animation that challenges the mind of a child; even with simple things that even grown ups fail to overcome at times?

As I rebooted all the previous DWA products (the ones i loved like shrek series, the croods, httyd, rotg...), the same thoughts kept sweeping in my mind.

If Dreamworks holds on to that vision statement, I believe that it will shine... in the long run.

The world may not be ready for what DWA has to bring forth yet, but at least I am, and I hope we are~
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

I've deleted the last two posts from Dragon's Apprentice and yakofawesome.

Posts with giant quotes and nothing more than an approval do not contribute to the discussion and deteriorate the clarity.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

I just got another PM on Wattpad about this, and I am getting peeved.

It's the morals that matter in story.

So, if Hiccup and Toothy were separated, what would matter then? The happy ending or the morals? The moral for the movies so far is, victory has its prices. Is it wrong to teach kids that? Or maybe the kids in the modern world just have problems dealing with that? If parents teach their kids to swear, to smoke, to do drugs, maybe they can also teach them real life problems?

*I am putting this here, so next time I get another one of those messages, I'll just send it to them.*
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Pikey
Wow!

Somehow I don't think parents teach their kids to do any of that stuff, they just do little to prevent it.

But other than that I agree that morals do need to be taken into account to decide whether they should be separated or not. :P

DarthBacon
Gronckle

HTTYD 2 was by no means a flop due to it being 'dark'. The problem lies somewhere else i guess. Mostly the marketing and the publicity, and mainly, the 4 year gap between the 2 movies. Not that i blame Dean for it, but many people forgot about the original after such a long time.

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

DarthBacon
20 Oct 2014, 13:54
HTTYD 2 was by no means a flop due to it being 'dark'. The problem lies somewhere else i guess. Mostly the marketing and the publicity, and mainly, the 4 year gap between the 2 movies. Not that i blame Dean for it, but many people forgot about the original after such a long time.
First of all, the movie wasn't by any means a flop. True, It didn't make the amount that people expected it to make, but a 600,000,000 dollars gross counts as a big hit. It also out-grossed the original and as of now is the highest grossing animated film. So it was a flop at all.

Other than that, who knows? Sometimes audiences can be dumb and go watch a bad movie because it's more main-stream(Transformers 4 anyone?) instead of the high-quality challanging animated film because sadly, we live in a world animated films are seen as "Kids films". I don't agree with this at all but that's the main public unfourtently.

I don't think time gap is much of a problem as well, seeing how "Sherk 2" came out 3 years after the original and "Toy Story 3" came out 11 years after 2 did; yet both still blew box-office records.

Speaking of "Toy Story 3", remember that movie's ending? Sad but, still happy? I think that is what they are planning with HTTYD 3(Kind of a shameless plug here but, read my FanFiction "Goodbye, Bud" to see what I mean in concept) and to be honest, I'm okay with that. There is one thing that these films do that not a lot of animated films(Or films in general actually)do; have consequences. So, leave on a happy go lucky ending for a franchise that took risks is kind of taking a step backwards. Therefor, as much as it will pain me to say it, I think Hiccup and Toothless should be seperated by the end. However, seperate them on a good note. That's my stand.