Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Please Keep Hiccup and Toothless together at the end of HTTYD3
Topic Started: 30 Jun 2014, 16:59 (9121 Views)
Eret
....Son of Eret

Night Fury
30 Jun 2014, 20:35
KentuckyWildcat
30 Jun 2014, 19:26
the ending of the second movie (which coincidentally felt to me like it was a bit shoehorned into a happier direction just to keep people from getting too upset), I think his work on this franchise has been good and occasionally great up to this point.
I actually got a more bittersweet feeling from the ending of the second than I got from the first. My only issue was that it was resolved so quickly... but perhaps that's the root of your problem with it. The whole thing seemed a little out of sync with the emotions I was feeling.
The tone got a little weird in the scene immediately after Stoicks funeral where they were flying on the baby dragons. The switch from tragic to lively happened so quickly, and all the sudden everybody seems to be over what just happened while you as the audience are still left behind feeling traumatized...you feel that weirdness for the rest of the movie. I don't know how they could have improved that though, I don't think making the rest of the movie gloomy and depressing would have been any better.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

Eret
30 Jun 2014, 20:59
Night Fury
30 Jun 2014, 20:35
KentuckyWildcat
30 Jun 2014, 19:26
the ending of the second movie (which coincidentally felt to me like it was a bit shoehorned into a happier direction just to keep people from getting too upset), I think his work on this franchise has been good and occasionally great up to this point.
I actually got a more bittersweet feeling from the ending of the second than I got from the first. My only issue was that it was resolved so quickly... but perhaps that's the root of your problem with it. The whole thing seemed a little out of sync with the emotions I was feeling.
The tone got a little weird in the scene immediately after Stoicks funeral where they were flying on the baby dragons. The switch from tragic to lively happened so quickly, and all the sudden everybody seems to be over what just happened while you as the audience are still left behind feeling traumatized...you feel that weirdness for the rest of the movie. I don't know how they could have improved that though, I don't think making the rest of the movie gloomy and depressing would have been any better.
I think they also had to deal with being confined to being only 100 minutes of movie time rather then longer..
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

Eret

Well from the characters standpoint, they were still in the middle of a battle with Drago. Once that adrenaline gets going, its easy to forget all those emotions until everything is over.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I guess I should explain that comment a bit better. I don't necessarily have a problem with the idea of a mostly happy ending, I just feel like the one we got wasn't very well thought out and completely clashed with the direction the movie had been heading up until that point.

Things were looking pretty grim for Hiccup and his crew with Stoick dead, Drago's Bewilderbeast becoming the alpha (more on that in a moment), and Toothless being captured. Then the series of conveniences that were either poorly explained or not explained at all began. The good guys were able to get to Berk by riding baby dragons. Evidently they were immune to Bewilderbeast mind control because "they don't listen to anybody", yet they were still willing to be guided to a specific destination by human riders. Then Hiccup was able to free Toothless from the alpha by the power of their friendship despite the same technique not working moments earlier when Stoick died.

After that, Toothless suddenly broke out a new, completely unexplained power to bust out of the ice he had been frozen in. Finally, he challenged the alpha and apparently broke the mind control on the rest of the dragons simply by the power of being the good guy. At this point, I'm not sure what was supposed to be so special and rare about the Bewilderbeast and it's alpha status when any dragon can apparently claim its power simply by being nicer.

That's how the happy ending came about. Maybe some of this is another problem caused by the fact that movie could stand to be longer, but it just doesn't feel like the happy ending had as much thought put into as the rest of the movie. We understand very clearly why most if not all of the bad events happened they way they did, and then the happy ending really wasn't explained at all. That's how I felt anyway. Others will likely disagree.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Polychrome
Hatchling

NightoftheFury
30 Jun 2014, 21:24

Well from the characters standpoint, they were still in the middle of a battle with Drago. Once that adrenaline gets going, its easy to forget all those emotions until everything is over.
Yeah, that's why it didn't bug me either. The reality of the situation meant they had to immediately get back in the action. They had their moment, but they weren't going to sit around and cry while their home was under attack.

I think the following scenes were the movie's way of telling us that as close as Hiccup and Toothless are, we really don't know anything about the Night Fury at all. Toothless, cute as he is, is now a big mystery to be solved. Suddenly turning blue-glowey on us is not an ending, but a beginning. A thread to tie us into a future movie no doubt.

CatsMeow
Gronckle

Please take the petition down. I can't agree with this. Yes, Toothless and Hiccup are best friends and all and their bond is deep; but this movie ain't about happy endings. Haven't ya'll been paying attention to the books, TV series, and the two movies?

Read the first book of the series by Cressida Cowell and you'll understand this. It has to happen, yes it'll be sad but get over it. I just want this ending, it'll be worth it. It's like signing a petition for two people's friendship and ones life. The ending, from what it seems so far, is realistic.

So, just stop. Take it down. Please. I'm begging you.
"Go you must. No guest shall stay in one place for ever. Love will be lost if you sit too long at a friend's fire."

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

I think it's ridiculous that you're petitioning to change an ending to a movie you know nothing about.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

CatsMeow
30 Jun 2014, 22:56
Please take the petition down. I can't agree with this. Yes, Toothless and Hiccup are best friends and all and their bond is deep; but this movie ain't about happy endings. Haven't ya'll been paying attention to the books, TV series, and the two movies?

Read the first book of the series by Cressida Cowell and you'll understand this. It has to happen, yes it'll be sad but get over it. I just want this ending, it'll be worth it. It's like signing a petition for two people's friendship and ones life. The ending, from what it seems so far, is realistic.

So, just stop. Take it down. Please. I'm begging you.
I'm pretty sure that only Change.org can remove a petition, and they usually won't do so unless the subject matter is offensive.

I don't think anyone (including the creators of the petition) is expecting a completely happy ending. I don't see any of the petition supporters complaining about the first two movies or the TV series. Most people who are commenting have been paying full attention, otherwise they probably wouldn't have an opinion in the first place.

Not everyone has read the books, but I don't feel that is necessary in order to be a fan. I have read the first book, but it doesn't really affect my opinion of the films at all. The petition is mainly focused on Toothless, who bears almost no resemblance to the his counterpart in the books.

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

MissunyNightFury
30 Jun 2014, 23:54
I think it's ridiculous that you're petitioning to change an ending to a movie you know nothing about.
Well, I'd hardly call it nothing. Dean DeBlois basically gave us the ending with a few details left out.

I sometimes wish Dean had just kept it to himself. One has to question why he felt the need to reveal so much, unless he wanted people to discuss it.

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

I can't help but view this petition as virtually bullying Dean and the crew to make what those supporters want happen. And frankly, it's selfish too. Though, I have no right to tell anyone that this should be taken down because people have a right to petition for change. But in the end, petitions are only effective when correcting, removing, or preventing corrupted laws or rights from being put into constitution. Whatever happens to Hiccup and Toothless is not unconstitutional or corrupt because DWs is exercising their right of expression, and nobody is being hurt by it. Unless one chooses to (no offense and imo, but that's the childish way of reacting).

If you're going to be so upset if (because nobody knows for sure what will happen, the separation is still a rumor) Hiccup and Toothless part ways, write a fanfiction where the outcome is different. Create that fan alternate universe. Nobody is going to stop you.