Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Please Keep Hiccup and Toothless together at the end of HTTYD3
Topic Started: 30 Jun 2014, 11:01 (9130 Views)
Polychrome
Hatchling

I agree that trying to force an artist's hand with a petition really doesn't seem appropriate to me.

That said...

I've been through enough fandoms to be downright sick of the "realism" debate. In the end (and please forgive my rudeness), it always struck me as a bunch of teenagers trying to prove how grown up they were. Most of them were really bad at predicting endings. Hey, I've been there. ;) I remember being one of the "Bob is dead, get over it" crowd in ReBoot back in the day... But I've also seen many, many more endings pleasantly surprise me, even when the worst was supposedly coming.

So IMO, we should all just wait and see what happens.

I think what struck me on the first movie, is that its idea of a "happy end" was anything but Disney. Hiccup's loss was a net gain. It was a win. It was his happy ending. It was a downright weird one and I loved it for that. Now we've got super-kitty-cat dragon running the show, making both Hiccup and Toothless "chiefs" of their own "tribes", so to speak. Once again, they match. If the second movie is any indication, a loss for a win is the "theme" of the stories as a whole.

We still don't know what the ending means, even if we have a rough idea of what happens. There is no evidence whatsoever that any parting between Hiccup and Toothless would be bitter. Just keep in mind it would have been way too easy for Dreamworks to either kill the pet or the kid initially. Cheap heartstring yank: That would have been your typical "pet movie" ending. But honestly, as long as we're trying not to be Disney, may I give my appreciation that this isn't Old Yeller? (Especially after that second movie...definitely not Old Yeller...)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Jill
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Sounds like another case of spoiled brats.

Polychrome
Hatchling

Jill
30 Jun 2014, 15:37
Really? I don't see it that way at all. I see people jumping to conclusions, sure... but they aren't the only ones. *glares*

Fiction is a form of escape for many people. Real life has both happy and sad endings, but for some people, the sad is more prevalent. Not everybody gets handed the good hand, and for some, they feel like seeing the hero win and come out happily ever after gives them the strength to try for themselves. I could see the first movie having that effect on people enormously, especially if they were bullied, friendless, had unstable relationships with their parents, or otherwise were looked down on for most of their life.

It's all about overcoming whatever is in your past and making do. It's those who win and come home to family and friends despite whatever they've been through who get the real happy endings. If the dragons end up leaving in the end, I guarantee there will be something to bring us joy despite that. It's not that the dragons could ever be replaced in Hiccup's heart at this point, but there are many joys in life if you look out for them. Reality is more than sorrow.

Toothless123
Night Fury

I don't think Dean will kill off/separate Hiccup/Toothless anyway, regardless if the petition is successful or not. :D

Toothless123
Night Fury

Polychrome
30 Jun 2014, 16:05
It's all about overcoming whatever is in your past and making do. It's those who win and come home to family and friends despite whatever they've been through who get the real happy endings. If the dragons end up leaving in the end, I guarantee there will be something to bring us joy despite that. It's not that the dragons could ever be replaced in Hiccup's heart at this point, but there are many joys in life if you look out for them. Reality is more than sorrow.
:'(

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

It would be sad for Berk and the dragons to be separated but I would accept it as the ending. Not everything can have a Disney happily ever after ending.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

Polychrome
30 Jun 2014, 16:05
Jill
30 Jun 2014, 15:37
Really? I don't see it that way at all. I see people jumping to conclusions, sure... but they aren't the only ones. *glares*

Fiction is a form of escape for many people. Real life has both happy and sad endings, but for some people, the sad is more prevalent. Not everybody gets handed the good hand, and for some, they feel like seeing the hero win and come out happily ever after gives them the strength to try for themselves. I could see the first movie having that effect on people enormously, especially if they were bullied, friendless, had unstable relationships with their parents, or otherwise were looked down on for most of their life.

This is part of why I'm not really concerned about the ending... I know no matter what, there'll be joy in it too. Dean's not out to crush everyone! That's not what this series is about. The first movie's end surprised me, and I want that with the third too.

I mean, I understand the feeling behind the petition maker. I've been there, especially when I was a teenager and relied more heavily on fictional universes to cope. But the great thing about those universes? Fandom isn't limited, and the parts you loved about them will never go away, even if they don't end quite the way you think you need them to.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I realize that beloved movies can elicit strong emotions in people, and that certain outcomes could potentially change those emotions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, I'm generally opposed in principle to petitioning (which I agree can often feel more like demanding) storytellers to take their story in the direction that I want. That's a bit stifling to creativity, because if every story was held captive by public consensus, I feel like we'd miss out on a lot of quality material in which the writer's vision was bold and daring.

So while I can understand people's feelings about this subject, I won't be signing the petition. I'd rather see if Dean has any surprises for us because other than the ending of the second movie (which coincidentally felt to me like it was a bit shoehorned into a happier direction just to keep people from getting too upset), I think his work on this franchise has been good and occasionally great up to this point.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Polychrome

Polychrome

I've been through enough fandoms to be downright sick of the "realism" debate. In the end (and please forgive my rudeness), it always struck me as a bunch of teenagers trying to prove how grown up they were. Most of them were really bad at predicting endings.

Great points!

It's completely understandable that young people want to feel grown up. Teens are under extreme pressure from parents, school, peers, and especially pop culture. It's only when you reach your 20's and 30's that you can fully appreciate the not-so-great aspects of adulthood, which often includes the loss of close family or friends. Some of us have experienced that enough in real life, so we'd prefer to escape from that reality, which is something fantasy films can provide for us.

The HTTYD franchise, by its very nature, was built as an escape from a reality in which dragons don't exist. I'm a little bit ambivalent about them explaining why the dragons disappeared, since the "why" is pretty much a moot point. I guess I'm kind of hoping the whole thing is a ruse and the dragons have just gone into hiding.

It seems like we agree on how good the endings of the first two films are, specifically because they avoid the cheap heartstring pull (which Disney is famous for).

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

KentuckyWildcat
30 Jun 2014, 19:26
the ending of the second movie (which coincidentally felt to me like it was a bit shoehorned into a happier direction just to keep people from getting too upset), I think his work on this franchise has been good and occasionally great up to this point.
I actually got a more bittersweet feeling from the ending of the second than I got from the first. My only issue was that it was resolved so quickly... but perhaps that's the root of your problem with it. The whole thing seemed a little out of sync with the emotions I was feeling.