Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Please Keep Hiccup and Toothless together at the end of HTTYD3
Topic Started: 29 Jun 2014, 20:27 (8854 Views)
Astrid Goes For A Spin
Resident Mercenary For Sticks and Stones

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... r-dragon-3

Help us.

We need it.

You might know me - I'm Astrid Goes For A Spin. I usually reside on Fanfiction.net. I'm also an active member of Sticks and Stones. I've been in the forum since Gift of the Night Fury, and How To Train Your Dragon is everything to me.

I've long come to believe that this movie was a personal gift for me from the man upstairs - it provided something to focus on, something to get excited about, something to inspire learning about everything from the earliest prosthetics in Ancient Egypt to how to properly light a scene to the method of making a dragonship. It's honed my writing skills, and my analytical skills - something that I can keep looking at, and it doesn't stop giving. There's never a shortage of new things to see, new things to learn. It showed me the world in a completely different light, and because of it, I've found a place on the internet and even in "real life" where I can speak freely with no fear of embarrassment about what's important to me and collaborate on things that eventually reach past Berk.

I've always had a fantasy world at my beck and call - whether it was taking a field trip through a large intestine with Ms. Frizzle on her Magic School Bus, bumping along a new trail west in a covered wagon with Laura and Mary, flying on Appa's back on the way to the Fire Lord with Katara, Sokka, Toph, and Aang, walking along the halls of Hogwarts with Harry, Ron and Hermione, or safely residing in the squadroom of NCIS. Things that link these interests have been the familial relationships - between the Friz and her class, Laura and her Pa, "Team Avatar," Gibbs and his team, and Harry and his two best friends. They show me hope - hope that all people aren't selfish and miserable, that there are heroes, self-sacrificing and brave and bold. They help when the world hurts.

But since 2010, my fantasy world of choice, my place to recede from the world and reassure myself, is in the skies with Hiccup and Toothless, where utter dependency ties them together in the best way, where love trumps guilt and passion overcomes tradition and cowardice. And even though they don't wield guns and badges or the power of the ten thousand previous Avatars or even Harry's power of love, it's with them that I feel the most safe.

But if Hiccup and Toothless are separated or Toothless is killed, it will stop giving. It will stop providing and shielding and reassuring me. It will stop reminding me that not everyone is bad (because there had to be good people to think of the movie!). The first movie, my sanctuary, my refuge, will lose the magic that rescued me, the magic that gave me a best friend, a group of people to develop my skills and interests with on the internet. Berk – the rustic wooden houses and the perfect family I imagine I eavesdrop on that exists between Hiccup and Toothless. For them, the sky isn’t the limit.

DreamWorks, please don’t break this. Dean Deblois, I appeal directly to you: don’t chain them – and me – to the ground. In your own words, you can do better. Try.

Sign this. Put in on DeviantArt. Post it on Facebook. Tweet about it. Send it to the New York Times. Be annoying. Be persistent. I will. Help me. Help everyone who cares, everyone who keeps returning to Berk for the same reasons I do.

Please.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

I'm not against this idea. It would be so sad if Hiccup and Toothless are separated and I would take weeks but probably more like months to come to terms with it. However, I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say if that's how HTTYD3 ends than I'd be ok with it. Dean should be able to make his own choice about how the series ends, and if that includes toothless and the rest of the dragons disappearing, then so be it.

It would be a sad ending no doubt, but a bittersweet ending like this is probably the only way to properly conclude something as awesome and epic as HTTYD.

I too believe that How to train your Dragon is something more than a movie. Its given me so much more than a story to enjoy. Its given me guidance, support and inspiration as well, during the hardest of times. But something as great as this deserves, no needs more the standard cut and dry happily ever after. HTTYD is more than that. Its always been more than that. From when hiccup lost his leg to the (SPOILER) that happened in HTTYD2. If there is one thing I love about HTTYD its the lessons it brings to the table. Not everything goes to plan, things don't always work out and sometimes there are consequences you cant avoid. I just feel like there needs to be an ending that carries enough weight with it to live up the everything that HTTYD embodies. Is sending the dragons away terrible and harsh? Yes totally it would really be the emotional peak of the series. Is it the right ending to have? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is for sure: and ending like that would definitely hit close to home. And maybe that's exactly what Dean wants.

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!

Asvald Veleif
Dragon Animator

I just mass posted this all over the "School Of Dragons" thread, hopefully it will draw more attention.

Toothless Gif made by me.

Support my How to Train Your Dragon animations by subscribing to my youtube channel through the link below!

Click here for my dragon animations!

HiccupxAstrid123
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Machaela Richard
HICCSTRID IS SOOOO CUTE

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Can you believe that some people actually use petitions to try to stop political corruption and promote justice? I wonder if there's a petition asking DreamWorks to stop complying with censorship in order to gain a larger profit in China.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

I get why people are upset but just because they say one thing doesn't mean people should start freaking out. This shows no faith in Dreamworks whatsoever. We know nothing about it yet besides they'll supposedly go away. This doesn't even mean toothless will go away. Can people just chill out and let it play out? First of all a petition most likely won't help at all because it's over something small like this. I love httyd just as much as anyone here, but it's not just like Dreamworks is going to kill him off crazily. Which brings me to my second point, they never said Toothless was going anywhere or dying. They said the dragon species was. And if they go they'll probably go into a coma like in the books. The last book hasn't even come out yet. We. Don't. Know. And we don't have to take drastic measures for it either.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

Hope_and_Heir
30 Jun 2014, 03:09
I get why people are upset but just because they say one thing doesn't mean people should start freaking out. This shows no faith in Dreamworks whatsoever. We know nothing about it yet besides they'll supposedly go away. This doesn't even mean toothless will go away. Can people just chill out and let it play out? First of all a petition most likely won't help at all because it's over something small like this. I love httyd just as much as anyone here, but it's not just like Dreamworks is going to kill him off crazily. Which brings me to my second point, they never said Toothless was going anywhere or dying. They said the dragon species was. And if they go they'll probably go into a coma like in the books. The last book hasn't even come out yet. We. Don't. Know. And we don't have to take drastic measures for it either.
I agree with Hope_and_Heir on this. Also, I don't think that Dreamworks would listen much to this. I'm sure they have the rights to the movie and 80% sure they have the creative freedom to do what they want to with the movie, allowing for certain elements to stay as they are. I'm sure that they already have the script written and are recording the voice acting for it already. Now then, let them make something that I'm sure people will enjoy whether they listen to this or not.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

micromys
Cathartes Aura

I really don't think anyone should be using change.org for this sort of thing. That should be saved for really important issues.

I'm against the idea of trying to force Dean's hand anyway -- or indeed, forcing the hand of any author/artist. I want to see what ending he thinks is best for this series... even if it's an ending that will hurt me. In a strange way, I kind of want it to hurt. HTTYD means a lot to me, and I don't expect saying goodbye to it will be easy. I'm all right with that.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

micromys
30 Jun 2014, 03:41
I really don't think anyone should be using change.org for this sort of thing. That should be saved for really important issues.

I'm against the idea of trying to force Dean's hand anyway -- or indeed, forcing the hand of any author/artist. I want to see what ending he thinks is best for this series... even if it's an ending that will hurt me. In a strange way, I kind of want it to hurt. HTTYD means a lot to me, and I don't expect saying goodbye to it will be easy. I'm all right with that.
THIS
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'