Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Mark on Hiccup's forehead
Topic Started: 14 Jun 2014, 14:52 (3398 Views)
seejanerun
"I would always rather be happy than dignified.”

Does anybody with some anthropological background on Vikings know if the mark Gothic makes on Hiccup's forehead at the end is a symbol or something actually taken from Viking culture? Was it an abstract drawing of something I was supposed to recognize? I have been wondering about this...
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

I thought maybe it just symbolized that he was the new chief. It sorta resembled Stoick's helmet.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

NadderSparks
Dragon Egg

Someone asked dyannehs (the tumblr fandom's resident anthropologist) the same question. Her words:
Quote:

I am absolutely sure that I have no fucking idea.
It looks sort of like the Algiz rune (which flips in the Norse Younger Futhark and takes a different sound than it originally had), but I can’t be certain.
This rune is associated with Yggrasil…And that’s about it.
It honestly doesn’t look like any rune I’ve ever seen in Norse, though. (It does look the tiniest bit like the Ear rune in the later Anglo-Saxon Futhorc, but only a bit) So here’s the deal: I’ll go look through everything I own and have access to, and I’ll even ask Crazy-British-Nazi-Boss-Lady about it, and then I’ll get back to you. This could take several days.
So... yeah. Probably doesn't mean anything except "cool chief symbol". She *might* have a legit answer in a few days, though, so we should watch there. I'll post here when/if she gets more info!
(source: http://dyannehs.tumblr.com/post/8871925 ... ps-head-at)
DO NOT SPEAK TO ME OF DRAGON FIRE

seejanerun

Thank you! I'll keep checking for updates. I was just curious, and when I googled it, I got a whole lot of cures for hiccups :P I figured someone I this fandom would be able to tell me if it was anything meaningful. I wonder if the art book says anything about it...

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to buy it and take a look. Darn! ;)

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

MissunyNightFury
14 Jun 2014, 19:51
I thought maybe it just symbolized that he was the new chief. It sorta resembled Stoick's helmet.
basically this.
When we saw it and Gothi put the mark there my mom whispered "She's making him chief" so yeah It's gotta be a chief thing.
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

ToothlessNightFury
15 Jun 2014, 00:53
MissunyNightFury
14 Jun 2014, 19:51
basically this.
When we saw it and Gothi put the mark there my mom whispered "She's making him chief" so yeah It's gotta be a chief thing.
Ok.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

seejanerun

I understand what it means in the context of the film. What I wanted to know was, did the film makers take/reappropriate a symbol from real viking culture. Seeing as they did it with the funeral, I thought there was a chance that the symbol held a particular significance to the Berkians' real-world counterparts.

Fawnduu
Gronckle

seejanerun
15 Jun 2014, 03:48
I understand what it means in the context of the film. What I wanted to know was, did the film makers take/reappropriate a symbol from real viking culture. Seeing as they did it with the funeral, I thought there was a chance that the symbol held a particular significance to the Berkians' real-world counterparts.
yeah exactly, I think we all understood that the symbol ment he was chief that was obvious, just if it was actually a symbol for something in Norse mythology or runes
Im Courtney, a Concept Artist/ Computer Animator! 8)

My Art Page
My Animations

seejanerun

Fawnduu
15 Jun 2014, 19:17
seejanerun
15 Jun 2014, 03:48
yeah exactly, I think we all understood that the symbol ment he was chief that was obvious, just if it was actually a symbol for something in Norse mythology or runes
Thanks, Fawnduu ^_^

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

http://dorkofberk.tumblr.com/post/88905 ... d2-spolers