Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Zer0x' very own Post-Movie Discussion Thread
Topic Started: 08 Jul 2014, 20:18 (3970 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

10/10 would be a perfectly reasonable score to give, even though I may be against such a score. Perfection may be impossible, but things can be rounded up. 11/10 would mean that something is better than perfect, and that's just impossible.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

It doesn't matter.

Faerie_Dragon
Dragon Bassist

Good old Cartoon Freak here to be Mr. Negative by stepping on people's opinion. Good to have you on the forum. Interesting that you've chosen "banhammerdragon" as your most recent target but whatever you wanna do dude :)

One other + I would of added would be the excellent voice acting from all characters.
I challenge you to be lazier than me!

Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me. Sub me.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Correction. The soundtrack for this movie is better than perfect in every way possible.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Maybe I should have made a table what the values mean.

10/10 means by my definition satisfied my expectations to 100% and 11/10 means exceed all expectations/new reference movie

Besides the first movie there are only 2 others I ever gave 11/10 for story and that are Star Wars V and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, because every single movie got 10/10 points and appreciate the maintenance of this level I gave it, seen as a trilogy, 11/10.

An 11/10 rating is nothing special, you'll see that often in reviews of amateurs, especially in the technical aspects.

HTTYD2 set, like the first movie before, a new standard of animation, that's why I rated it with 11/10. Other movies with an 11/10 rating were: The Hobbit, The Croods, Avatar, Adventures of Tintin.

It is not possible to reach more than 10/10 for audible aspects for some reasons.

My scale goes up to 13/10 points, but 12 and 13 aren't really reachable, because 13 represents "perfection" and 12 is only possible for a franchise when all movies were rated by 11/10.

I have thought a long time about my review system, there are many rules and restrictions, but I think it is a good way to compare movies.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Yeah, that's the sort of scoring system you need to explain in any review you make), given that it goes against the system of pretty much every other reviewer on the planet, and it's a bit of a nonsense system anyway. You wouldn't expect a school test or a university essay to give scores greater than 100%, would you?

You say that your scale is related to your expectations, but that's meaningless without first establishing what your expectations are. My expectations for Transformers 4 were way lower than for, say, any Pixar movie. The former exceeded my expectations, whereas the latter sometimes doesn't. By the basic logic of your system, Transformers 4 should get a higher score than Ratatouille (the reviews for the latter did hype me up, I must confess). I hope I don't need to explain the problem with that. The point of giving a numerical score is so that the reader doesn't need any more information to get a decent idea of where you stand on the film's quality. Certainly, the text will help a lot to give more detailed information on what worked and what didn't, but that's extra.

10/10 should be perfection. Of course, rounding up is perfectly acceptable, since perfection is impossible in practice. I don't give anything 10/10 because I think it gives an inaccurate impression of perfection, but I accept that that's just me.

I'm mentally changing every instance of "/10" to "/13" in your review, since it makes everything make way more sense.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

Cartoon Freak
09 Jul 2014, 11:16
Yeah, that's the sort of scoring system you need to explain in any review you make), given that it goes against the system of pretty much every other reviewer on the planet, and it's a bit of a nonsense system anyway. You wouldn't expect a school test or a university essay to give scores greater than 100%, would you?

You say that your scale is related to your expectations, but that's meaningless without first establishing what your expectations are. My expectations for Transformers 4 were way lower than for, say, any Pixar movie. The former exceeded my expectations, whereas the latter sometimes doesn't. By the basic logic of your system, Transformers 4 should get a higher score than Ratatouille (the reviews for the latter did hype me up, I must confess). I hope I don't need to explain the problem with that. The point of giving a numerical score is so that the reader doesn't need any more information to get a decent idea of where you stand on the film's quality. Certainly, the text will help a lot to give more detailed information on what worked and what didn't, but that's extra.

10/10 should be perfection. Of course, rounding up is perfectly acceptable, since perfection is impossible in practice. I don't give anything 10/10 because I think it gives an inaccurate impression of perfection, but I accept that that's just me.
Okay, okay, there is giving an opinion and then there is being plain rude. Not to mention the fact that it's to a Mod. Maybe you should think through your posts more carefully next time.

Personally I think this is a well explained review that makes several very good points, particularly that on the plot holes.

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

Cartoon Freak
That's in my opinion a bad comparison. I tests you will never have more than 100% (without extra credits), because there is only a limited number of questions to answer. Movies can always go bigger and more impressive, there is no limit. The 11/10 rating exists, like I said before, to set a new standard. That doesn't mean all movies before have now a lower rating, because it is a time-dependent function.

Cartoon Freak
You say that your scale is related to your expectations, but that's meaningless without first establishing what your expectations are.
I knew after I posted this that "expectations" was not a good term, it implies a personal influence in the review. Scratch that. The text above explains it better.
Cartoon Freak
It always depends on what each number signifies in your rating system. When you never give a movie 10/10, for what do you have it?

Cartoon Freak
I'm mentally changing every instance of "/10" to "/13" in your review, since it makes everything make way more sense.
Also not a good idea. "13" is a theoretical value and exists only for the sake of completeness, "11" is the value for a new "top of the class" of movies and "12" the same, but for complete franchises.
When you want to convert my system into yours, both have to follow the same rules, otherwise the proposition would distinguish.

thescienceofmagic

Okay, okay, there is giving an opinion and then there is being plain rude. Not to mention the fact that it's to a Mod. Maybe you should think through your posts more carefully next time.
Only because I am a mod, it doesn't mean that you are not allowed to contradict my arguments. I'm not always right. Mostly, but not always.

I don't have a problem with criticism about what I write as long as it doesn't get personal.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

It's not being rude. It's just being honest in pointing out the flaws in the scoring system. And while I've certainly encountered moderators on other sites where it was wise not to post anything about them that was doing anything other than worshipping the ground they walked on, I'm quite sure that Zer0x is way too good and honest a person to abuse his powers. I'm also fairly sure that he has thicker skin than you seem to think he has.

EDIT: Timing, however, is clearly not his strong suit. ;)
Quote:

That's in my opinion a bad comparison. I tests you will never have more than 100% (without extra credits), because there is only a limited number of questions to answer. Movies can always go bigger and more impressive, there is no limit. The 11/10 rating exists, like I said before, to set a new standard. That doesn't mean all movies before have now a lower rating, because it is a time-dependent function.
I use school assessments as an analogy because chances are that everyone on here has done a fair few. A better example than a test (which is most often associated with maths or other things that have a single right or wrong answer) would be an essay. Yes, theoretically, it is always possible to write a better essay, but you are still never going to see a teacher give a score of more than 100%, because even English teachers are better at mathematics than that.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with lowering the score of a film in hindsight. I'm reminded of an unofficial Nintendo magazine back in the N64 days that had an appendix at the back of each issue showing the scores for every game they reviewed. From time to time, these scores would change (generally going down, though not always) with the benefit of hindsight, generally when a new, similar game came out to form a comparison. Of course, such a system is not generally feasible, but it is worth doing with a small set of films from time to time.

In regards to movies always being able to go bigger and more impressive, it's worthwhile thinking of the scores as a mathematical function of sorts, with perfection as an asymptote. Yes, you can always get closer, but you'll never reach it, and that's why no film should ever be given a score of more than 100%.
Quote:

It always depends on what each number signifies in your rating system. When you never give a movie 10/10, for what do you have it?
It's a score that only exists to show how close movies get to it. I have no problem with giving a movie 9, 9.5, or even 9.9999999999... And again, I have no problem with other people rounding to 10, but anything above that just becomes needlessly different from how everyone else does it. Since the purpose of having a scoring system is surely to aid communication (in my own head, I generally just compare movies to each other), having a system that different from what the vast majority of professional critics and regular people would use just doesn't make sense.
Quote:

Also not a good idea. "13" is a theoretical value and exists only for the sake of completeness, "11" is the value for a new "top of the class" of movies and "12" the same, but for complete franchises.
When you want to convert my system into yours, both have to follow the same rules, otherwise the proposition would distinguish.
But that's what 10/10 should be - perfection, something that is never reached. So, in your case, it's 13/13. In my case (and a lot more people), it's 10/10. So, yeah, our systems are the same, except mine makes more sense mathematically.

doeslingx
...and one other reason

I think I prefer Something Awful's numerical reviewing system. Only the final score matters (41/50 for HTTYD2), the constituent parts are deliberately nonsensical (7/10 for 'Jay Baruchel's Wobbly Voice').
I don't have a signature, see?